Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom mobile firmware and mobile internet

• 19-08-2009 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

I haven't had to own and use a mobile phone 'proper' until now, and I can't believe how ****ing expensive it is to use these things. It costs the providers literally nothing to carry texts on the networks, yet they charge 12c+ for them, and just about everything else is a complete rip off as well.

As things are, I think it would be far less expensive for me to look into buying a mobile phone using open source firmware (what is Symbian like? I've only briefly read up on it), which I can install programs onto (or develop programs for myself) which are capable of using IM programs and Skype, then to get everyone I know to do the same (I'll only be using the phone with a limited number of people).

Basically, this would be exclusively using the phone for the purpose of accessing the internet, with just the mobile phone providers as >internet< providers. That really is the way things should be; the only reason it isn't, so far as I can see, is so mobile providers can squeeze tons of money out of people; and because people let them, by not looking for alternatives.

Has anyone done this before? Is there any practical reason why this wouldn't be possible?
    Also, if anyone has done this before, can phones be bought which use WiFi, and which can be configured (through custom firmware changes) to only use the mobile network when no accessible WiFi is near?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I haven't had to own and use a mobile phone 'proper' until now, and I can't believe how ****ing expensive it is to use these things. It costs the providers literally nothing to carry texts on the networks, yet they charge 12c+ for them, and just about everything else is a complete rip off as well.

As things are, I think it would be far less expensive for me to look into buying a mobile phone using open source firmware (what is Symbian like? I've only briefly read up on it), which I can install programs onto (or develop programs for myself) which are capable of using IM programs and Skype, then to get everyone I know to do the same (I'll only be using the phone with a limited number of people).

Basically, this would be exclusively using the phone for the purpose of accessing the internet, with just the mobile phone providers as >internet< providers. That really is the way things should be; the only reason it isn't, so far as I can see, is so mobile providers can squeeze tons of money out of people; and because people let them, by not looking for alternatives.

Has anyone done this before? Is there any practical reason why this wouldn't be possible?
    Also, if anyone has done this before, can phones be bought which use WiFi, and which can be configured (through custom firmware changes) to only use the mobile network when no accessible WiFi is near?

You may find the application Cabbage Mobile helpful. It's a java application for your mobile that allows you to use your webtexts from your phone, instead of logging into your mobile provider's website to do so. It's made by a member of Boards, Sam Vimes, is constantly updated and works over the data part of the mobile network, so charges are minimal in comparison to sending an actual standard sms.

Advertisement