Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heatsink fusing to CPU

Options
  • 19-08-2009 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I plan to do a CPU upgrade soon, one thing that worries me is the CPU and heatsink becoming fused together. I've seen this happen at work where I replaced a mother board, one of the other lads in the office tried to pull the heatsink from the motherboard and pulled the cpu out with it. The cpu didn't look damaged all the pins where intact but the bar thing that holds the cpu in place was still down so I don't know what kind of damage would have been done. I never tested the CPu just plopped it back in place and put it in a drawer.

It's important as I want to give the CPU to a friend and naturally don't want to damage the motherboard either.

I've had a google search but most guides are just the basics on replacing the cpu.

Whats the best way to separate the cpu and heatsink?

It's an E6600 cpu with the standard intel heatsink.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Quite simple, run prime95 for a few hours to heat the cpu up, this will in turn soften the thermal paste when you go to take it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jop

twist heat sink from side to side before lifting it off

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

ScumLord, how did you manage that exactly? Happens all the time with AMD but E6600 is LGA, i.e. anti-yank bracket and pins on the mobo (not the CPU) :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

OK cheers lads, Prime95 twist don't pull, got it.

I haven't gone near the e6600 yet, I've just seen it happen twice that the heatsink pulled out the cpu, and come to think of it they where both AMDs.

You shouldn't have many issues with an LGA chip like the E6600. Twisting is friendlier but there's no chance of hard bonding causing havoc unless you used Liquid Metal as the TIM :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I had an awful job remove my Tuniq from my lapped E6600 after using liquid metal for a few weeks, welded together completely in about 8 weeks. It took serious brute force and I'd to lap both again after. Not worth the hassle of the extra 3-4 degrees it gave

Fact of life - Liquid Metal is win. Just don't use it unless the CPU cooling solution is not only top-of-the-range, but is also staying on for life :D

It's the standard intel heatsink with the supplied compound that's on it now, The new chip (just ordered :D) is the fastest chip that can go into the board so it is going to be the last cpu upgrade. I bought this heatsink to go onto it.

That's not really that great a heatsink :o Just very bling-y :(

Solitaire wrote: »
    That's not really that great a heatsink :o Just very bling-y :(
    Damn order cancelled anyway, wouldn't take the paypal payment because of unconfirmed address. :mad:

I do like me bling but it got good reviews when I googled it. Whats wrong with it?

• Advertisement

Not bad, just not good value for money either (quite pricey for moderate cooling performance). Of course its fine if you got it for under a tenner ;) But IIRC an old Akasa AK965 or OCZ Vanquisher would be just as good for actual cooling. A cheapie Artic Freezer 7 Pro would outperform it for a third of the price. And a Xigmatek or other performance cooler would utterly trounce it while remaining cheaper :o Its great when held up against old, crap coolers but for some reason its never reviewed against a good cooler. Only once did I see it go up in the same test as a good cooler (Noctua NH12P) and guess which was better? ;)

It was between that and this (whenever it finds it's way back to the shelve, I was going with the other one because it's available now and I won't buy the chip until I have a cooler for it), quietness and bling are just as high a priority as actually being good at what's it's supposed to do, also want to continue the copper theme the gigabyte board started. So I'm only looking at coolers that have some silence related fancy name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I'm pretty sure I have one of those around somewhere, I got it with the PC originally but for some reason it wouldn't fit, they sent me the wrong version or something. I didn't send it back in time so I was stuck with it.

I'll try and dig it up, I might be able to get the mounting bracket for that instead?

Advertisement