Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone live in America

• 19-08-2009 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

Question for anyone interested...
    I have a friend who'll be traveling America from September till Christmas and will need internet access(broadband type preferably) He's internet mad ie he could spend hours on facebook in the evening but that could change as he wont have as much spare time to himself. I have looked for Broadband type services in America but alot need a 2 Year contract so I was thinking....

Can he take a Vodafone Ireland sim card with him, my n95 8GB and use that for internet connection out there and how much does it actually cost as opposed to whats on the vodafone website, He'd be accessing it through Vodafone Live unless it made more sense to use Vodafone ISP

or

Should he take a Vodafone Ireland sim(prepay) with him and whack it into a Vodafone Ireland Broadband modem and connect through that? He could try connecting through the vodafone live port by changing the settings in the modem itself.

I post it in this forum as its more suited here than the Broadband forum IMO, I suppose my question is should he use my N95 to connect to the internet or a broadband modem and what it actually costs.
    Thanks in advance!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Vodafone live is 99c wherever you go in the world. but capped at 50mb, so hours on facebook might not be possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,278 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I wouldn't give him your n95, friends have an awful habit of jumping into swimming pools with someone elses phone in their pocket...I leaned the hard way...let him get his own phone...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Vodafone Live APN is 99c for 50MB daily. If Vodafone Live APN works then that's the price.

We've also got some data roaming details into our FAQ which may help you out?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59526469&postcount=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

If he is going to be there for 3 months maybe good to check out a local sim
    http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/usa.html

ardmacha wrote: »
    If he is going to be there for 3 months maybe good to check out a local sim
    http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/usa.html
    This is also good advice. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Random wrote: »
    Vodafone Live APN is 99c for 50MB daily. If Vodafone Live APN works then that's the price.

We've also got some data roaming details into our FAQ which may help you out?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59526469&postcount=19

Looked in the FAQ but couldn't find anything relevant. will look into the local sims situation. Friend just back from America and used AT&T and was very happy with it, might give him that sim if possible, it had a handy number:)

The FAQ provides details on your roaming options with an Irish SIM.. that's what I was pointing you to :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Looked in the FAQ but couldn't find anything relevant. will look into the local sims situation. Friend just back from America and used AT&T and was very happy with it, might give him that sim if possible, it had a handy number:)

Although I cant recall the exact details I checked out both US sim operators (AT&T, T-Mobile) last week and T-Mobile worked out better. Think it had cheaper texts especially International ones to Ireland and calls also. Sure calls to other T-Mobile in USA are free as are national calls I think.

Advertisement