Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help recommend me an ISP!

Options
  • 20-08-2009 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hey all!

It's over 3 years since I switched ISP's so I'm completely out of the loop as to who's good, who isn't, who's competitive and does the best deals out there atm etc...

So.... who better to ask than you lot! ;)

I'm currently with Smart I was pretty happy with them up until the past few months - routers gone dead, connection kept dropping, internet isn't working at all for the past few weeks so I think the time has come to try someone else for a change.

However I'm completely at a loss as to who to go for atm!

Some specifics:

* Would like 4MB+
    * Hopefully less than E40 per month (including line rental?)
    * Want a wireless modem
    * Don't necessarily need a landline
    * Would like unlimited download/upload cap
    * Low contention ratios

I've been checking out BT and UPC, not sure how reliable they are though?

Oh and it probably helps to mention that I'm in Galway as that will prob rule me out for some providers!

Can anyone out there help me make my mind up (Yes, I'm a woman, obviously!) :P

Thanks very much guys, all info and feedback will be greatly appreciated!

So, which ISP would you recommend based either upon your experiences or my criteria? 15 votes

Smart
    0% 0 votes
    UPC
    20% 3 votes
    Magnet
    53% 8 votes
    UTV
    13% 2 votes
    BT
    0% 0 votes
    Eircom
    6% 1 vote
    Other - please mention!
    6% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

UPC 10meg for me here in knocknacarra and it works great.:)
    i have the broadband but no phone or tv so it works out at €38 a month.:cool:
    wireless router comes free with 20meg or just get 1 in pc world like i did
    (which is probally better quality and will last longer:p) for just about the €50 mark

* 10meg or 20meg
    * 10 = €32 + 6 = €38 (no tv charge) 20 = €42 + 6 = €48
    * Wireless modem free with 20meg but cheap in pc world
    * No landline required
    * Unlimited downloads* (nothing is truly unlimited but they wont bother you unless you constantly go over 250gb per month)
    * Contention used to be 20:1 i think...

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/ten/
    http://www.upc.ie/broadband/tewenty/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you really don't want a landline then get UPC, otherwise if it was me I'd personally be going for Smart

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

+1 for UPC if it's available in your area. 3MB bb plus phone plus tv for about E54 a month is good value. If you have an existing landline and want to keep it Vodafone are pretty good at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Thanks guys!

Great - It's actually the UPC package at 10mb with no need for line rental that really has me swayed... so it's good to hear it's working so well your end of town!

Cabaal - I *could* live without the landline however I guess it is nice having it there for emergencies or whatever.. Hmmm, it really is a toss up between staying with Smart or going with UPC.

I signed up with Smart when they were offering their customers "free line rental for life" - I see now that their Home Pro Bundle of 12Mb per month is E36.50 (Same as what I'm paying now for 4Mb!) plus line rental of E25.47 bringing the total to E61.97 pm

So I wonder if I'm entitled to get the 12Mb package for just the E36.50 seeing as I have "free line rental for life"?

Hmmmm decisions, decisions!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Thanks guys!

Great - It's actually the UPC package at 10mb with no need for line rental that really has me swayed... so it's good to hear it's working so well your end of town!

Cabaal - I *could* live without the landline however I guess it is nice having it there for emergencies or whatever.. Hmmm, it really is a toss up between staying with Smart or going with UPC.

I signed up with Smart when they were offering their customers "free line rental for life" - I see now that their Home Pro Bundle of 12Mb per month is E36.50 (Same as what I'm paying now for 4Mb!) plus line rental of E25.47 bringing the total to E61.97 pm

So I wonder if I'm entitled to get the 12Mb package for just the E36.50 seeing as I have "free line rental for life"?

Hmmmm decisions, decisions!

You don't have free line rental for life, as soon as you change package that's gone. It's also not unlimited either, they imposed a 170 gig cap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Hmmm, yeah I've just been reading on here and on the Smart forums how it was just a clever marketing ploy on their behalf - drat my plans are foiled! :pac:

170 cap you say? Hmmm, UPC is sounding all the better now... AND if I do keep the landline they'll throw in a free cordless phone too!

Ok so the real question at this stage; Smart VS UPC

Who's the most reliable?

Who'll give you the closest speeds as to what you're actually paying for?

I know NTL used to have a really bad rep, I gather they've improved quite a bit since they've become UPC though?

Or are there any issues with UPC blocking "certain" sites or have any plans to do so in the future?

Anything I should know to help me make my mind up between the two?

Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

I know NTL used to have a really bad rep, I gather they've improved quite a bit since they've become UPC though?

Or are there any issues with UPC blocking "certain" sites or have any plans to do so in the future?

UPC customer service is brutal, no doubt, you will be waiting ages, but thankfully the service is quite good meaning you may never have to ring them. Personnally I've found it reliable.
    'Certain sites' aren't blocked and I've had no problems downloading any type of file I want. There's another thread about the fact they've said in the paper this morning they've no plans to block sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

For €50 a month you can get a phone line with free local, national and international calls,
    10meg broadband with a free wireless router, a free cordless phone and free connection

http://www.upc.ie/phone/broadbanddeal/

The 21 international destinations are Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France,
    Germany, Greece, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal,
    Romania, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, USA and Canada

Advertisement