Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dept Of Education - New Students May Be Liable For Fees Next Year.

Options
  • 20-08-2009 12:42am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭

And so the fun begins . . .

New students to be informed of possible fees
    THE DEPARTMENT of Education has instructed third-level colleges to put new students on notice they may be liable for new fees from next year.

Students will be told of their potential liability for fees when they register for the first time next month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Ah bollox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Ah bollox

Let's not just lie down and take it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

we registered already. SAFE.

-goes away to cry-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Ah well give us something to moan and protest about...will be a bit of crack:pac:

Seriously tho thats ****.

And I'm robbin ur thread and puttin it in the Trinity forum:)!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I expected fees to come in, but not for this years crop.

• Advertisement

GA361 wrote: »
    Let's not just lie down and take it though!
    Hell yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Lol its grand, they can't bring them in late.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I dunno, if the applications aren't finished yet...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

They will not be coming in this year. It means students going in this year may have to start paying for tuition from next year on.

They will not be coming in this year. It means students going in this year may have to start paying for tuition from next year on.

Which is something they actually can't do. If they do drop out rates will be ridiculous. Oh seriously any fee they charges in cash will be made back ten times in damages...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

You don't know how deep the government goes...it goes all the way to the president!

However, he insists the new fees or loan regime will apply to those beginning college next month.

Oh for **** sake, what a c*nt. You reckon points will drop on the second round because of that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Oh for **** sake, what a c*nt. You reckon points will drop on the second round because of that ?

No, why would they?! The CAO doesn't take into account external factors...

No, why would they?! The CAO doesn't take into account external factors...

Because people will drop out if they have to pay. The chances of anyone dropping out on the possibility of fees is low. But I can guarantee that points will drop for every course next year if fees are introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Im up for a protest anyway. Why should we have to pay an extra 5 grand each to this government who put us in this mess? As if its the feckin students fault. College is extremely expensive as it is!

Well we can't have a riot in UCD, its riot proof. Oh well, I guess we'll have to rip up trinity then... Shame that...

Anyone up for rolling that big gold sphere down Westmorlen Street and into the Liffey?

Im up for a protest anyway. Why should we have to pay an extra 5 grand each to this government who put us in this mess? As if its the feckin students fault. College is extremely expensive as it is!
    The real cost of college is over 20,000.
    Even 5,000 is only a fraction of the true cost of college.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Gee, could he have made this announcement any later? It's not like anyone has accepted their courses yet or anything.

Doing it this late is a sure-fire way to radicalise the entire incoming student population before they've even had a chance to discover politics. Everyone was going to be out protesting the return of fees anyway ("sure it'll a bit of craic, lads") but introducing them to students mid-stream is likely to cause riots.

Will the sniveling Greens present any opposition to this? O'Keefe is preempting the actual cabinet decision about the return of fees and the current programme for government doesn't allow for their return. So I guess this means we'll have to watch Gormley/Ryan bending over again in front of their FF masters on the news tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

agreed, deciding to tell people this after the CAO process and when they are starting is just wrong

they should be in possession of all the facts in order to make a decision

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Important notice for new 2009 CAO students – Free Fees Scheme
    The Higher Education Authority (HEA) has asked UCD to bring the following notice to the attention of all 2009 CAO students.

Extract from letter to the President of UCD from the HEA, 11 August 2009:

‘The Minister for Education and Science has requested an examination of the range of available options for introducing a new form of student cost contribution in higher education. The Minister has now circulated a review of available options to members of Cabinet for information in advance of possible future government consideration of policy decisions on the issue.

For the purpose of clarity for incoming students in 2009/2010, the Department of Education and Science has advised that the Minister has signalled that it is not his intention to recommend the introduction of a new form of student contribution before 2010. Incoming students in the 2009/2010 academic year will not therefore be subject to any new form of student contribution in respect of the coming academic year (i.e. depending on their eligibility status, normal arrangements will apply in respect of registration charges, free fees provision or fee liability).

However, incoming students in the 2009/2010 academic year should now be on notice that in the event of a Government decision to introduce a new form of student contribution from a future point in time, any such arrangements are liable to apply, from that time, to students who enter higher education this year. For example, the effect of this could be that incoming 2009 students would be liable for a new form of charge in the second year of their studies (in the event of a future Government decision to introduce a new form of contribution from 2010).’
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/hea_notice.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

Does that mean the deferred loan thing is gone?

Does that mean the deferred loan thing is gone?
    They haven't decided anything yet. But most likely it will take the form of a deferred loan or graduate tax. But the well-off might have to pay upfront. We'll have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

Who else agrees?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

As a historical PRO fee advocate Im saying nothing cause im sick of it and well ... finished.

Oh Grimes mate, its not the fees. Its the principle of announcing them the day most of us accept our offers. Seems like a bit of a cheeky move, I have very little respect for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

a) I don't think this would hold up in court if someone (ie any decent student union) got a decent lawyer who could argue that acceptance of the offer was the initiation of some sort of "learning contract", as against said happening when you paid your reg fee having being given a warning.

b) The Green Party membership have to vote on a new programme for government, and approve it by 66% of all ordinary members that show up for a meeting on September 12th or so, which I don't think will happen. FG will be the major party in the next government, + though they will want to bring in some sort of deferred fees, I don't think they'll enforce it on students starting this year.

(If I had my way everyone would just vote for Labour + we wouldn''t have to worry about it but I ain't that optimistic just yet)

Oh Grimes mate, its not the fees. Its the principle of announcing them the day most of us accept our offers. Seems like a bit of a cheeky move, I have very little respect for it.

Oh you are right. I was shocked when i heard that there might be the possiblity of fees coming in this year. The USI are completely ineffective on the entire front and I swear Peter Manion is just repeating himself everyday like people will listen.

Students need to present themselves as actual people with a value to the government but also find something to hold over the minister that can force their way. Protests at the Dail and Peter Manion's moaning wont solve a thing.

Id be more than happy to lead the fees protests... but it might get a little illegal. You know .... the way students used to be ??

(if I had my way we would all vote labour and be unemployed with no economic plan to speak of :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Here, isn't there some kind of group in UCD called "FEE"?- Free Education for Everyone?

Where can I sign up? ;)

I would choose the longest degree programme going, which also boasts some very high tuition charges...

Don't think it'll be too asy to afford 5 years of fees.
    I can barely afford going to college as it is.

bythewoods wrote: »
    Here, isn't there some kind of group in UCD called "FEE"?- Free Education for Everyone?

Where can I sign up? ;)

You mean the guys that were all talk before the Sabbat elections and then dissapeared when they all failed and well its the Summer! College dosnt start back until September. They are on holidays. Whats the rush to fight fees, its not like they might be coming in or anything?

• Advertisement

Don't expect the greens to show any sort of back bone or kahones in all of this.

Advertisement