Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross-forum posting question

Options
  • 20-08-2009 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭

I would like a matter regarding cross-posting looked at by an admin please.

This post about an upcoming comedy gig by a boards user was posted in the correct thread in the stand-up forum.

This post is relating to the same gig, posted in a different forum. This post was bumping a beers thread that had not been posted in for over two months before that post (there is a dedicated, formal beers thread ongoing in the nocturnal forum atm as they have a beers coming up this weekend). This post in the same thread is an attempt by one of the other comedians on the same line-up to cajole users of the nocturnal forum into going to the gig.

To me this is cross-forum posting, gig pimping and pretty much spamming to get punters for a gig. Can an admin please look into this? I would have PMd the mods of the forums in question, but the post in Stand-Up is perfectly within the charter and the post in the Nocturnal Forum has already been approved by the mods so I thought this was the best place to ask for a look at the overall matter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Any word on this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If the mods of both fora think that it is acceptable to the forum and the forum users are happy that this is posted as it is relevant to the forum and communities, what's the problem? Cross forum posting is considered spamming, but in this case the cross-poster checked with the nocturnal forum mods before posting (I'm presuming) so he has been given the go ahead.

With respect, I'm not sure what kind of overall opinion you're wanting? Are you not happy that this has been posted in the nocturnal forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Wasn't a matter of what forums it was posted in, I was just wondering what the line was with cross-forum posting. I understand that users who contribute to communities are given a wee bit of leeway on these things since it's not just shilling and was just curious. I only noticed it cos I read the nocturnal forum and the stand-up forum a lot since I used to mod them both and was just using it as an example to ask a broader question, didn't mean anything smart, was just curious. Cheers for the reply Gordon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

We decided a while ago that anything the regulars were doing like this(music,comedy) that the community might enjoy would be fine to "advertise". Comedy gigs,music events,even trips to the cinema are all welcome, just giving the mods a heads up first is helpful.

The users went about it the right way and contacted us and waited for us to decide what thread it should go in.

Its been this way for a while,this isn't a new thing,just nobody really asked in ages :)

Advertisement