Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blasphemy and AH

Options
  • 20-08-2009 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

SO I just saw the latest addition to the AH charter and I have to ask,
    is that for real and how is it going to be enforced.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61068423&postcount=13
    Blasphemy
    The new defamation bill including the blasphemy amendment was passed today. So there's to be no badmouthing Terry, God, Jesus, Buddha, Allah, Eric Clapton, Vishnu, AlmightyCushion, Thor, the Sun (the cancer ball not the cancerous rag) or whatever you're having yourself.

You have been warned.

Not having a go just looking for feedback on it.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Considering it includes myself an terry I'd consider it a joke. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason J Bo included it. For a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I assume that's a piss-take, it has to be, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Considering it includes myself an terry I'd consider it a joke. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason J Bo included it. For a laugh.

OK just that I got given out to by a poster in AH re one of my posts and they said I was breaking the charter and linked to it.
    I hadn't seen it and was concerned that I had screwed up some how and wasn't sure was it a real addition or not.
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'll delete it. It's had it's moment. People really shouldn't blasphem me because I'm awesome.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

MOD CONSPIRACY...MOD CONSPIRACY....

Mod breaks forum charter so charter gets changed !!!!

And you wonder why people think there is a conspiracy.

:D

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

All I said was that piece of halibut.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

eeven if it wasn't I wouldn't be obeying it. 'god lol'

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jesus fncking Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

seamus wrote: »
    Jesus fncking Christ.

Reported.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Reported.

Must you take my Lord Report's(PBUH) name in vain?

Jesus Christed.

Must you take my Lord Report's(PBUH) name in vain?

Jesus Christed.

Time for a pic of the prophet mohammad.
    alicartoon-thumb.jpg
    Now how do you deal with that?

and he started the great religious boards wars...as they would be come to be known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

and he started the great religious boards wars...as they would be come to be known.

I'm going with an outside bet on the pagans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Time for a pic of the prophet mohammad.
    alicartoon-thumb.jpg
    Now how do you deal with that?

13377.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Blasphemy
    The new defamation bill including the blasphemy amendment was passed today. So there's to be no badmouthing Terry, God, Jesus, Buddha, Allah, Eric Clapton, Vishnu, AlmightyCushion, Thor, the Sun (the cancer ball not the cancerous rag) or whatever you're having yourself.

You have been warned.

I lol'd.

Undelete

ktanxbi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Ludo wrote: »
    MOD CONSPIRACY...MOD CONSPIRACY....

Mod breaks forum charter so charter gets changed !!!!

And you wonder why people think there is a conspiracy.

Yeah, cos I posted this exact thread to feedback about a month ago and it got ignored! Ah well;, at least it's gone from the charter now!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The phrasing is "composes, prints or publishes" blasphemy. So we're back to not knowing what publishing means because its not defined in terms of internet but given the previous libel ruling in the Betfair case, I think it will need to be brought to our attention before we do anything "official" about it.

Does *anyone* support this bill??

I'd like to use the debating chamber for a debate on either this blasphemy thing or the Lisbon treaty but its proving hard to find proponents of the first or opponents of the second with any degree of gravitas to them who will debate them....

DeV.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Get a hold of Dermot Ahern. Think he might be on his todd on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

His official stance is that he's against it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

People really shouldn't blasphem me because I'm awesome.

Only the truly enlightened get to sit on the AlmightyCushion? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Funny things happen when you google yourself.
    8 TERENCE O'DOWD.

to my final abandonment of the " ould faith/' as he
    sometimes called it.

" Boniface III., in the year 606, Your Bever-
    ence."

"Aisy, aisy, Terry avic ! You 7 re wrong intirely
    quite out this time, me son ; asthray, quite asthray,
    young gintleman. Nothing of the soart ; and, be
    my stick, Terry my boy, you'll vex yer parish priest
    if you persist in this heresy this dam this soul-
    destroying error in these little mistakes, I mean,
    Terry. But your parish priest isn't going to argue
    with you, Terry me boy ; oh no, oh no."
    ]
    http://www.archive.org/stream/terenceodowdorro00oshauoft/terenceodowdorro00oshauoft_djvu.txt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

DeVore wrote: »
    The phrasing is "composes, prints or publishes" blasphemy. So we're back to not knowing what publishing means because its not defined in terms of internet but given the previous libel ruling in the Betfair case, I think it will need to be brought to our attention before we do anything "official" about it.
    More important is the intention of the blasphemy. You can blaspheme all you like provided that your primary intention is not offence or outrage.

So "Jesus was a bollox" is fine, so long as you wholeheartedly believe that.

More important is the intention of the blasphemy. You can blaspheme all you like provided that your primary intention is not offence or outrage.

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Would you not be at risk of libel though when he returns during Armageddon or whatever it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Can't libel a dead guy but then he has a track record of resurrection so... It's a legal minefield really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Someone just blasphemed the almighty spice burger on AH. Needs a public flogging imo.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote: »
    I'd like to use the debating chamber for a debate on either this blasphemy thing or the Lisbon treaty but its proving hard to find proponents of the first or opponents of the second with any degree of gravitas to them who will debate them....

DeV.

I'd debate as a proponent of the Defamation Bill as a whole, inclusive of the blasphemy provisions but only from the standpoint of necessity as a Constitutional issue.
    javaboy wrote: »
    Can't libel a dead guy but then he has a track record of resurrection so... It's a legal minefield really.

Under the new Bill you can defame the dead actually.

Advertisement