Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sigma 70-300mm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

I don't have this, but the general concensus seems to be that it's the best low price telephoto there is. I'd say buy, you can't go too far wrong anyway at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

It has served me very well so far. The "macro" feature is not exactly 1:1 macro, as was discussed some months ago here, but I think this is adequate for most closeup photos of insects, if you don't want scary images of highly magnified eyes:

[IMG][/img]3391203913_94425a3861.jpg

This group has discussion:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma70-300apomacro/

It's pleasant to handle and has given no trouble during 18 months of use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Got this lens after advice on here from the experts. it os quite soft at 300 but is still a great buy imo.

As has been said on the other forum, get the APO version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭sikahunter

i have it too its a great lens if you want to see some pics go to my flickr and see em you cant go wrong for the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The chap in the thread below was looking at getting the same lens, so there should be plenty of information for you there as well as examples of images taken with that lens.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59884058

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Hopefully it's a fantastic lens... I just ordered one on Pixmania for my Nikon D60!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭nobeastsofierce

The chap in the thread below was looking at getting the same lens, so there should be plenty of information for you there as well as examples of images taken with that lens.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59884058

Thanks, I searched before posting but musta missed it. All in all, I think I'm going to go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks, I searched before posting but musta missed it. All in all, I think I'm going to go for it.

It's a good lens for the money so you shouldn't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

great lens for the money, was the first lens i bought after getting the camera and the kit. I have 2 L lens now but i still have it and prob use it more than those!! can be a little soft at the extreme end but between 70-220/230 its great.some examples below

3282058115_025cf30233.jpg
    3263862261_15ccb970b0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I have the canon version, but my friend has the sigma one and I have used it. In my opinion its as good as the canon, its a little noisier as in sounds noisy. Other than that its quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Zion21

Awesome lens I have been using the canon version as well for awhile and really love it. smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I love that lens. I like how light it is. I get over the softness at 300mm because of the 1.6x crop factor anyway. I've used it for a lot of watersports photography and am returning to it a bit more so that I don't have to drag the monopod around.

regards, Cal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I managed to get one from a guy on ebay (Irish user) for 100 euro. Total bargain; it's an excellent lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I'm in the same boat as you OP, Canon EOS 500D with just the basic 18-55 at the moment, and I was looking at this lens yesterday too and think I will get it. Reluctant to pay EU prices on it though, since that link on Amazon has it for €134 but only for US delivery, while it's more like €220+ on sites over here. nobeastsofierce, let me know if you find a good price for delivery to Ireland anywhere, otherwise I will pick it up when I am in America next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

padocon wrote: »
    I have the canon version, but my friend has the sigma one and I have used it. In my opinion its as good as the canon, its a little noisier as in sounds noisy. Other than that its quite good.

Is it possible that the differences only show up when photos are enlarged quite a lot and printed?

I got my Sigma 70-300mm APO yesterday and very very pleased with the results so far. It seems well built. Also came with padded case and hood in the box.

This is cropped a bit but you can see the detail and sharpness. Taken on Nikon D60. 270mm iso400 f/5.6 1/320sec.
    3881923766_4d567ec2d2_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Got this on adverts about 2 weeks ago. My second lens and i'm delighted with the sort of results i'm getting. Well spent 100 euro.:D

Advertisement