Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First car tips

• 20-08-2009 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi,

Hoping to buy my first car this year if all goes well. Looking around recently, and am considering going for a Renault Clio. Looks like I can get a decent 01-02 model for €2,000-€2,750 with some haggling. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences I should know of, or things I should look out for when purchasing such a motor?

Open to suggestions for similar cars also-Polo's, perhaps a Focus. Currently in college and used mostly for city driving.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

I wouldnt touch a Clio. From my experiance they are trouble and put a dent in your pocket.

Would buy a Polo or Focus before a clio
    I found also older Polos run well and can pick them up cheap enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Clio, Corsa, Punto - no no and God, NO!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭googlefan

I've heard people criticise Renault's reliability a few years down the line, particularly the electronics, but I also heard the Clio was an exception any truth to this?

Polo's have a solid reputation, but I've heard a lot of criticism about VW servicing etc.

Ye clio has same problems.. the immobiliser is a huge problem in them never know when there going to go.

To be honest i wouldnt worry about the service history of polos there engines are pretty solid.
    Focus will cost more unless you go for the new model polo.

Yeah Focus would be more expensive, but you're probably getting a lot more car for your money.

Any advice with haggling? I'm hearing dealers prepared to give reductions, I'd be a cash buyer also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Bryan91

Get something jap...............

Not jap its scrap!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Rochey18 wrote: »
    To be honest i wouldnt worry about the service history of polos there engines are pretty solid.
    I'm sorry, but this is dangerously bad advice. All cars need regular servicing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I wouldnt touch a Clio. From my experiance they are trouble and put a dent in your pocket.

Would buy a Polo or Focus before a clio
    I found also older Polos run well and can pick them up cheap enough
    peanuthead wrote: »
    Clio, Corsa, Punto - no no and God, NO!!!!

By god, you get some ropey advice in the middle of the night:eek:

OP - nothing wrong with the Clio, it seems to be exempt from the rest of the Renault range of problems. Wife had 2 and the mother in law had one (for 9 years).

Check the timing belt has been done on the Clio. Should be done at 60,000 miles or 5 years so will need to have been done on an 01-02. Try to get one with Electric Windows - can't remember if they all have Radio Controls on a stalk near the wheel or not.

Thanks for the advice. Timing belt is something I've been hearing a lot about, is it a particular issue with the smaller cars? Most models advertised seem to make a point of saying that they have been replaced alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

googlefan wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. Timing belt is something I've been hearing a lot about, is it a particular issue with the smaller cars? Most models advertised seem to make a point of saying that they have been replaced alright.

It's an issue with most size of cars (unless chain driven) and can be a fairly large cost to replace, but no where near as large as the cost if it breaks.

• Advertisement

I didnt mean not a rugular service i meant not anythin OTT.
    Comparing it to BMW Mercs
    A yearly service would be great for these cars.

You where lucky with that Clio i know 5 people that have had them and all had huge problems.

Timing belts make sure it wont be needed to be replaced soon.
    If you can afford Jap BUY Jap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

R.O.R wrote: »
    By god, you get some ropey advice in the middle of the night:eek:

OP - nothing wrong with the Clio, it seems to be exempt from the rest of the Renault range of problems. Wife had 2 and the mother in law had one (for 9 years).

Check the timing belt has been done on the Clio. Should be done at 60,000 miles or 5 years so will need to have been done on an 01-02. Try to get one with Electric Windows - can't remember if they all have Radio Controls on a stalk near the wheel or not.

I would put that down to luck rather than all Clios being exempt from having problems. Same with 206's I know 2 people who have never had any problems with them at alll, but know 4 who have spent a small fortune fixing problems here there and everywhere with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

If you can afford Jap BUY Jap.

This is great advice, since it'll drive up the price of Japanese cars that I'll never want, and drive down the cost of the Euro cars I will want.

Of course, the actual difference in reliability is very small, but don't mind that, pay thousands extra for those plasticky dull Jap boxes, everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭kueef

in my opinion the clio is a decent car.
    ive heard good things about them. i have one myself and think its great:D.
    the timing belt needs to be done every 40,000 to 45000 as far as i know and not 60,000 :confused:
    they are very comfortable and have a 4 star safty rating ( 98 + models)
    they are quite nippy too and good on petrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I had a 1997 Polo with 115k on the clock, it was solid as a rock and a child could service it. No power steering but hey, if you could drive that you could drive anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I had a 1997 Polo with 115k on the clock, it was solid as a rock and a child could service it. No power steering but hey, if you could drive that you could drive anything.

Yeah, Polo's are great cars. I first started driving in 2006, then I got my first car in august of 2007 which was a 96 Polo, and I have had absolutely no problems with it since. I also got it serviced and NCT'ed in 2007, so I hope it will pass the NCT in 2009.:)

No doubt it will, I had mine in early 2008 and it went through the NCT after fixing a few minors like a hole in the exhaust and seized handbrake. Bullet proof cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Polo's are bullet-proof - lol - they are prone to niggly electric problems (speaking from experience), dont have the best gearbox/clutch and are generally overhyped and overpriced accordingly

lol, same as any VW then. :)

Advertisement