Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 things i would definitely copy from american roads

• 20-08-2009 2:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

The first is being able to undertake on motorways. Man does the constant change in traffic keep you awake. In ireland after 30 mins of not being able to get past some slow coach (normally 2 min but lets say per example) i get bored and when i get bored i naturally woulnd't be watching the road as normal. In america its a different matter. There are cars flying past you at both sides of you, you have to navigate on 6 lanes of traffic. It really keeps you awake and alert

The second is being able to turn left at red traffic lights if there's nothing coming and no pedestrians. This saved so much time and led to a much smoother flow of traffic.

I think the left turn at traffic lights would be a great idea for ireland!! How many times have you been stuck a traffic lights with no one coming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

6 lanes :D

one thing I would improve about american roads however - the speed limits!!! :eek::eek:

Right (left here) on red would never be sucessfully introduced here, can you imagine the bedlam!!

Also, what about them crazy junctions, where its first come, first serve?? Come across them??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I'd copy their straight roads, fastest line between point A and B, not like here were the road layouts developed from old dirt tracks that winded around every slight hill, tree, stone, stream etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

peanuthead wrote: »
    6 lanes :D

one thing I would improve about american roads however - the speed limits!!! :eek::eek:

Right (left here) on red would never be sucessfully introduced here, can you imagine the bedlam!!

Also, what about them crazy junctions, where its first come, first serve?? Come across them??

I did indeed, lots of them and would you believe that they actually work on a first come first serve basis...crazy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

I'd agree with left turns on red, but I think there are more things about Irish roads I prefer over US roads. The (relatively) clear speed limit system here is much easier to work out than constantly scouting for speed limit signs in the US. And having roundabouts instead of traffic lights every 500ft keeps things moving a bit faster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

And having roundabouts instead of traffic lights every 500ft keeps things moving a bit faster!

Except for the cases where we have 2-3 sets of traffic lights in the roundabout :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Senna wrote: »
    I'd copy their straight roads, fastest line between point A and B, not like here were the road layouts developed from old dirt tracks that winded around every slight hill, tree, stone, stream etc etc.

Yeah the straight roads are great - the Americans must get some shock, when the arrive in Dublin, rent a car and head down West to the tight and twisty stuff!! LOL :D

Doesnt their straight roads go back to something to do with the war??
    Every 5 miles, there has to be a minimum of a mile of straight road with no bridges - so planes can land on the motorway in an emergency??
    Cant remember where I heard that - but I think its true!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Curran wrote: »
    Yeah the straight roads are great - the Americans must get some shock, when the arrive in Dublin, rent a car and head down West to the tight and twisty stuff!! LOL :D

I was talking to an American recently who couldn't understand why the back roads around Co. Clare were so twisty. I explained that they were based on tracks, hundreds (if not thousands) of years old, and that people owned the land and houses either side of the road, all of which would have to be demolished or have new access built in order to straighten the road. She still couldn't understand why we couldn't bulldoze through the lot just to make the journey from Newmarket-on-Fergus to Sixmilebridge a tad bit easier.

America were working with a blank canvass when building their road network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

The second is being able to turn left at red traffic lights if there's nothing coming and no pedestrians. This saved so much time and led to a much smoother flow of traffic.

I think the left turn at traffic lights would be a great idea for ireland!! How many times have you been stuck a traffic lights with no one coming

Yea, i found that the best thing about driving over there, right on red as they call it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

On straight roads.

Remember the reason, historically, our roads are all over the place is that the landowners were paid by the British and Irish governements to build the roads for them and hired their own staff etc. They built the roads around the land, towards their land and their friends land winding their way towards the actual destination they were given.

Hence why our roads are messed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I lived there for two years, reason you are allowed undertake on the motorways is that everyone seems to the speed limit more so than here, at that time it was 55mph so there was not much need to be undertaking.

Turning right on red was a good idea however it would not work here, idiots would still turn left without looking or stopping. The only way it could be tried out effectivly would be to have a turn left on a red wth an additional yield sign in place or a flashing red. They have turn left on red in some Australian states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

It should be done at night at least. Lets say after 11pm. There is a particular set of traffic lights near me that stay red for ages at night like 4 or 5 minutes with noone on the road. They should flash amber at off peak times to turn left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The first is being able to undertake on motorways. Man does the constant change in traffic keep you awake. In ireland after 30 mins of not being able to get past some slow coach (normally 2 min but lets say per example) i get bored and when i get bored i naturally woulnd't be watching the road as normal. In america its a different matter. There are cars flying past you at both sides of you, you have to navigate on 6 lanes of traffic. It really keeps you awake and alert

IMO they are going to have to change the rules of the road here on this one...

Parts of the M50 now have 4 lanes in each direction. It doesn't make any sense to have to do so many lane changes (each one with its own risk) to pass some driver by.

Advertisement