Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling old mobiles...

• 20-08-2009 5:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I saw an ad on TV for that envirofone yoke (http://ie.envirofone.com) and I was wondering if there was anything else like it where I could squeeze as much as possible out of my old phones.

Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭havana

Don't know of any others. Why not just use envirofone?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

www.mazumamobile.com, they are quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MGSman123

havana wrote: »
    Don't know of any others. Why not just use envirofone?

Well, because I want to see if I can be offered more for my phone than what envirofone is going to give me.
    Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    www.mazumamobile.com, they are quite good.

Yeah, that does seem pretty good alright. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Do these guys give good value for used mobiles? Where do they make their money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

If anyone is feeling altruistic, they could send their old phones to the Jack and Jill Foundation for sick children. They recycle old phones and send them to developing countries. Every 20,000 phones they get pays for a nurse for a year.

http://www.jackandjill.ie/how-you-can-help/recycle/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

that's what I can't figure out, I know there's some precious metals in them required for making new phones but there hardly that precious..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Maybe they're refurbing them and selling them on? Maybe they're getting some sort of recycling grant? Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Send the friggin thing to Jack and Jill or Barrettstown for chrissakes, wot's a fiver to you when it is worth so much more to a charity.

I doubt there doing them up and re selling them to developing countries, these people don't have water, shoes, food, there harldy going to be topping up by €20pm for free talk and text to all there relatives...I can only imagine the conversation they'd be having....

Maybe there's something really valuable inside them there not telling us about....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I doubt there doing them up and re selling them to developing countries, these people don't have water, shoes, food, there harldy going to be topping up by €20pm for free talk and text to all there relatives...I can only imagine the conversation they'd be having....

That is a either a very prejudiced or a very ignorant statement. Most people in developing countries do have food, water, clothes and mobile phones and a wish to talk to their relatives. There are 5 million new connections each month in India for instance. A lot of people might be happy to pay €40 for a refurbished model rather than €100 for a new one. So the mobile people here give you €25 for last years model.

ardmacha wrote: »
    That is a either a very prejudiced or a very ignorant statement. Most people in developing countries do have food, water, clothes and mobile phones and a wish to talk to their relatives. There are 5 million new connections each month in India for instance. A lot of people might be happy to pay €40 for a refurbished model rather than €100 for a new one. So the mobile people here give you €25 for last years model.

That is a either a very prejudiced or a very ignorant statement, I was thinking less developed in case you didn't guess:confused:

you can buy a brand new sim free nokia mobile with 12mts warranty for about €19 in India, so why would they buy our used out of warranty handsets for €40? I don't buy your theroy on what happens them..

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MGSman123

That is a either a very prejudiced or a very ignorant statement, I was thinking less developed in case you didn't guess:confused:

you can buy a brand new sim free nokia mobile with 12mts warranty for about €19 in India, so why would they buy our used out of warranty handsets for €40? I don't buy your theroy on what happens them..

I wouldn't say that they have no warranty. Factory Referbs always have a warranty period after they're fixed. If these companies are selling them, then I'm sure that they'd probably give 1-2 years of a warranty.

And besides, I'd say that they just break 'em down and re-use some parts to make others, or even to make new phones.

I'd say I might just donate my phone to the Jack and Jill Foundation. It's a worthwhile cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭try

MGSman123 wrote: »
    I saw an ad on TV for that envirofone yoke (http://ie.envirofone.com) and I was wondering if there was anything else like it where I could squeeze as much as possible out of my old phones.

Any help?

I had two to send. Sent one on the 30th July and haven't got anything back yet so rang them and they tell me it must have been "lost in the post". So I WONT be sending them the second one

try wrote: »
    I had two to send. Sent one on the 30th July and haven't got anything back yet so rang them and they tell me it must have been "lost in the post". So I WONT be sending them the second one

I was reading the T's&C's at the back of the envelope, it recommends you register the phones or they could be "lost in the post". Everthing on the mobilecashmonster envelope points to the IrishIndependent sponsoring or having a hand in it, the money raised will be donated to a charity of the Irish Independents choosing more than likley property developers & estate agents..

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mass

That's worrying. I sent a not-so-cheap phone (HTC Touch Pro) to Envirofone two weeks ago and the website still says 'awaiting receipt'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Catherine Terry

The Jack and Jill Foundation, at the moment are running a campaign through schools that sees their school getting much needed equipment if they register for a scheme on www.phonesforboards.com . This benefits everyone:

1. It raises valuable funds for nursing care in Ireland.
    2. It helps the families of sick children cope a little better in what is a difficult situation to be faced with.
    3. It benefits schools as they will get an Interactive Whiteboard for their school if they can collect 300 old phones for Jack and Jill.
    4. It encourages people to not give up helping charities even in recessionary times. The sad truth is that there are over 300 babies in Ireland currently under the wing of Jack and Jill and these babies continue to require care though cash is not as plentiful as in previous years. Instead of getting a few quid for your phone... or the inevitable scenario mentioned above... lost in the post... your donation can mean alot more than a few euro...Hand your phone into your local school today!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

mass wrote: »
    That's worrying. I sent a not-so-cheap phone (HTC Touch Pro) to Envirofone two weeks ago and the website still says 'awaiting receipt'.

You ever get paid for this, I sent one to them a week ago and the same applies.....

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mass

You ever get paid for this, I sent one to them a week ago and the same applies.....

Yes, absolutely. There was a backlog due to the TV advert campaign and it took almost 3 weeks but it was processed and I got the cheque eventually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Irishjack32

I found another crowd based in Kilcullen in Kildare that do mobile recycling as well. I am going to give them a go they sent a flyer in the letter box a few days back.

Their Address

Green Republic Ltd
    Link Business Park
    Kilcullen
    Co Kildare

Anybody have any experiences?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

if its any help, i got a tenner each for my 3210's, 3310's, 3330's and 3410's, and 25 euro for some old motorola models too in a Meteor store. Ended up paying 65 euro for my HTC Hero :D

Those alleged discounts are a bit like the trade in value of old cars. The price of the new phone is artifically high to start with so these "discounts" can be offered.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Those alleged discounts are a bit like the trade in value of old cars. The price of the new phone is artifically high to start with so these "discounts" can be offered.

what about online stores then? prices on a lot of phones barely differ in prices online as opposed to in-store.

You haven't been to my local carphonewarehouse then. ;)
    The CPW price is often 50 to 60 euro more than the networks online price.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    You haven't been to my local carphonewarehouse then. ;)
    The CPW price is often 50 to 60 euro more than the networks online price.

i've never bought anything from CPW so I cannot say. the w595 is 30 euro more in there than it is in the meteor store though.

See what I mean.

not really. im talking about a local meteor shop down the road from me. I rarely buy phones online because of the minimal price difference.

Advertisement