Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phd grant

Options
  • 20-08-2009 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to continue a county council grant to phd level after a degree and ma. Some have said it will only cover one postgrad, others that you will be covered as long as you don't take any breaks between them????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

You can still get a grant for postgrad courses as long as you are moving up the ladder. As far as I know you are still eligible for a grant even if you take a break. I know a few people who have taken a break between courses until they were 23 in order to qualify for a grant as an individual rather than taking their parents' income into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Thanks, im getting a grant for an ma. So if I take a couple of years out and come back for a phd I shouldn't have any problems.

Hibrion wrote: »
    Thanks, im getting a grant for an ma. So if I take a couple of years out and come back for a phd I shouldn't have any problems.

Assuming the government don't change the grant system!

Note though that you can only get a grant for 4 years of a postgraduate... it'll be worth checking whether you having done an MA would make you only get 3 years of a grant or 4.

Other thing to be careful about is how a lot of PhDs start with you doing a masters, which the Councils don't like (since it looks like you're at level 9, and therefore wouldn't be eligible for another grant at that level) - try to be put on the PhD register as soon as possible, and get something from the college to say this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

This is interesting. Didn't think the grant was still there after the degree.

I'm going on straight to PhD. Is it possible to get the VEC grant along side the IRCSET funding as that would help nicely.

• Advertisement

As far as I know you can receive up to 16,000 and still receive a grant.

I think someone posted about it in a 'pg fees' thread in the forum.

(posting from my mobile so can't give you the link, sorry!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Thanks, don't see any thread by that name however. Would you mind posting the link here when you get chance. Thanks very much.

Oops, just double checked... It's actually called postgrad fees and grants... Sorry!

Advertisement