Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game fair Birr 22nd-23rd August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Took this one of the black powder musket during one of the shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Well, say hello if you happen to see me tomorrow. I'll be the scruffy studenty looking type who looks as though he has PTSD from being up so early.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Collioure

Dusty87 wrote: »
    She'l be taggin along too. And at 7 months pregnant it wil be some craic walking around. Had her at the tullamore show recently and it would nearly break your heart. So if you see two people walkin unbelievably slow and sitting down every 10minutes its myself and herself.

I was at the show today,,,my wife 4 mths pregnant.....I bought one of those 4 legged folding stools for a fiver...saved my life as there was no where communal to sit down if you were not eating at the food stall in question.

Show was pretty good except for the point noted above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

TIP!

there are 2 main car-parks... the clay-shooters/terriers car park is on site!!!

the other one is nearly a ten minute walk to get to the main area!

(have a shotgun/ or terrier in the car with you) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

The car park for the guns/dogs also has a section for public parking and you're right on site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

What time will it all kick off up there tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I was there today, and wasn't impressed. the last time I was there 2 rs ago was much bettter

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

the weather was very bad today. did'nt go. thought it would be called off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

i was there today hoping to buy or atleast price a few scopes and all that was there were lakelands with zeiss, lovely scopes but a bit pricey, i thought last year was better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

ormondprop wrote: »
    i was there today hoping to buy or atleast price a few scopes and all that was there were lakelands with zeiss, lovely scopes but a bit pricey, i thought last year was better

more of selection last year anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I went yesterday and I must say I thought last year had more to offer:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

ya john greene's stand was badly missing this year, i could have spent all day in his stand last year drooling over some of his rifles, and he had a good selection of nightforce and burris scopes last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭trapmando

Headed down there yesterday (Sunday), brutal weather, but seemed a good crowd. Fair dues to everyone that turned up regardless of weather. Good show, clay shooting was good, well organised, good selection of targets, no queues for shooting. I didn't shoot, but was it really €25 for 25 DTL? Heard the entry for clays was generally expensive.

Thought the whole thing expensive, €15 in, a fiver for my 3 year old, 2.50 a bottle of water and a fiver to take a crepe!!! There certainly were no bargains at any of the trade stands either, absolute rubbish quality clothing, bought for nothing, with a crest of a pheasant or duck put on it and €20 please (for the cheapest)! a home baked loaf of brown bread €4.50, that i can pick up on the way home from a home bakery for €3!

Still a mentality of 'rip off Ireland' among most of the traders. Just wanted your money, couldn't care less about the rep of the show or whether you'd come back next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

LB6 wrote: »

plenty of the black stuff at the show, bit cloudy:(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

LB6 wrote: »
    You'd wonder where they got the explosives licence for the black powder from...

I went shooting pigeons instead and I'm glad now that I've read this thread :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

Sparks wrote: »
    You'd wonder where they got the explosives licence for the black powder from...

re-enactors, no wonder:D

wonder if everyone else been a suckler prior to weaning:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

I would like to thank Lord and Lady Ross for making available the Grounds of Birr Castle Estate for the 2009 Game and Country fair. A special thanks to Philip Lawton, Albert Titterington, Irene Titterington. David Wilkinson and all involved in the organisation of the 2009 Game and Country Fair.

It was a fascinating show, Cochise Horses and riders, Black Powder Match Lock Rifles, Medieval reenactors, Falconry and lots more.

It was great to stand there and look at people from different interest in country sports mixing with one another and enjoying each other’s interests/sport.

A special thanks to the VCRAI members and non-members that helped manning the stand, M Gannon, E Dunne, A Kelly, J Greene, J Mc Keown, J Kavanagh and Christopher Lindsay Fingal Sports, a very special thanks to Mick Doyle who spent most of the two days on the stand speaking to people about the Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland and the firearms we use.

Thanks to Paddy Fagan and Brian Kelly of the Phoenix sports Club Harbour Range for attending the stand, also congratulation to their members for their achievements/medals wins at the WA1500 world Championships in Germany.

Thanks to Joe and John from Kampeasi for sponsoring the camper Van for VCRAI members to use over the weekend.

One disturbing part of the weekend was the number of ordinary shooters which I spoke to that have no connection to club or association and those that have that feel totally lost in relation to the new licensing system, but that’s another story.

If I have left anyone out, Thanks in advance.

Michael O’Connor
    Secretary to The Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland
    Also Dublin Target Sports Club

Aka Sikamick

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

anyone know who won the shooting?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Sikamick wrote: »

One disturbing part of the weekend was the number of ordinary shooters which I spoke to that have no connection to club or association and those that have that feel totally lost in relation to the new licensing system, but that’s another story.

Aka Sikamick

Sikamick, are you disturbed by the number of shooters who have no connection with a club/organisation or by those who are bewildered by the new licensing system? By the way, I tick both those boxes, but prefer to be referenced as a "hunter" rather than a "shooter".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Does any know was the the mr woods fella sitting at the IDS stall at the fair? I thought it looked like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

johnfaul wrote: »
    anyone know who won the shooting?
    It certainly wasn't me but myself and the young fella had our own little competition in the novices 50 bird shoot, he of course won!!!:D I found the displays in the main arena not half as good as the fair in westmeath but the range of stalls and displays was about 100 times better. The weather was total muck though, I'll be back next year for sure!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭trapmando

Think the Ireland sporting team boys cleaned up, PH and CD and RM were there and I think is saw AC as well. PH cleaned up saturday apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

Sikamick wrote: »
    One disturbing part of the weekend was the number of ordinary shooters which I spoke to that have no connection to club or association Aka Sikamick

What difference does this make?
    Some areas have clubs others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It might make a difference if they were rifle/pistol target shooters...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

Sparks wrote: »
    It might make a difference if they were rifle/pistol target shooters...

Valid point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Callow Man

Went on Sunday, thank God I brought the welly boots. Was not as good as last year for sure but the weather did'nt help matters.
    The clay shoot was probably the most entertaining part of the day for me.

Lets hope next year is better with better weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JDBLASER

Went on the saturday.weather was great but show had very poor hunting and shooting stands.. I brought €250 and was willing to spend on stuff if anythin caught my eye but was very disappointed in the clothing on offer, very cheap stuff that is not much use.. Good knife stand though, bit pricey..

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Callow Man wrote: »
    Went on Sunday, thank God I brought the welly boots.

+1

I wrote off a pair of runners. Good thing they were old and in need of replacing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭wicklow newbie

Was there on the sat. Thought it was very poor. Which do you reckon is the number one show to attend next year?
    Can we have a poll on this question mods?

Advertisement