Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Hotel Restaurant in Ireland

Options
  • 20-08-2009 8:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

What hotel in Ireland has the ‘best’ restaurant? I am interested in personal recommendations/opinions rather than the view of published ‘critics’. The restaurant needs to have good quality food & give good value.

I’m sure we could all find a great hotel & restaurant on a limitless newspaper critic budget but I am interested in what us ‘mere mortals’ can enjoy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Come on Foodies!! Someone must have stayed somewhere with good food at some stage???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,238 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I was very impressed with the french restaurant Kendals in the Conrad Mount Juliet, the whole meal was perfect, tasted delicious, house wine was great and the service was brilliant... couldn't recommend it enough...
    It wasn't overly expensive as we got the meal as part of a stay and play package...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

The Fitzwilliam Hotel on St. Stephen's Green in Dublin has an excellent restaurant called Thornton's.
    I would also recommend The Mustard Seed restaurant at Echo Lodge in County Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

Although technically its not classed as a Hotel I went to Rathsallagh House in Wicklow about a year ago and the Dinner there was one of the best I've had in a long time.

They grow/supply a lot of their own produce (the rest is sourced from local farms etc...) and the menu changes most days.

Also have a savage breakfast to boot.

A real treat

[edit] I just noticed the "good value" part of tom's post, Rathsallagh is a bit on the pricey side. I went before all this recession lark so there might be some deals to be had now [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I've been to Tinakilly a few times, and it has been excellent. Not in a few years now, but hopefully the standards are still as high!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The Nuremore Hotel in Monaghan and The BrookLodge & Wells Spa Wicklow are 2 that spring to mind straight away, with the pick of the two being The Nuremore.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

no discussions: fitzwilliams/throntons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

no discussions: fitzwilliams/throntons

I would consider this restaurant more of a stand alone venture. I don't know if I'd put it in the same catagory as a 'hotel' restaurant... if you get me :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Well, you can get package deals from the Fitzwilliam including a meal in Throntons, but yeah, the restaurant is leased out and run seprately, staff share a changing room though.

I'd go with The Ftiz/throntons as the best hotel/restaurant combo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We had our staff Christmas do last year in the Fitzwilliam and even allowing for a certain inevitable amount of 'mass catering' (given it was Christmas) it was fantastic food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

How about The Old Convent in Tipp - http://www.theoldconvent.ie - Not a big hotel though, more a small boutique type place but the food is amazing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The Cloisters in the Abbey Court Hotel, Nenagh, is delicious too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

+1 for The Strawberry Tree in Brooklodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,052 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

mimihops wrote: »
    How about The Old Convent in Tipp - http://www.theoldconvent.ie - Not a big hotel though, more a small boutique type place but the food is amazing.

+1 One of my favourite places for a romantic night away with amazing food.

More a B+B with restaurant than a hotel.
    No bar, no beer:mad:
    But run by a lovely couple and I reckon the restaurant has amazing value and quality.

Also really like Gregan's Castle Hotel in Ballyvaughan in Clare. Amazing food and lovely place - very nice people too! Deals to be had, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Completely agree on the Old Convent. Loved it- can't wait to head back.

They don't take kids, though. If that was an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

pier one in the trident in kinsale is amazing

Advertisement