Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dominos no longer sticking to advertised price

Options
  • 20-08-2009 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi all,

Dominos have been offering a deal for 2 recently where you can get a medium pizza with 3 toppings, garlic bread/portion of wedges and 2 cans of soft drink for €10. On their menus their is a statement saying that this offer was due to end on 6th September 2009.

I called Dominos last night to get one such deal and was told that the price is now €15 instead of €10 and new menus have been printed. I had previously ordered one around 5 days before on the old menu and paid €10. Typical rip off Ireland, this deal must have been doing well so they upped the price to fleece people some more.

Surely there must be some consumer issue here? If we have a menu with the price of €10 and the offer date of 6th September then do Dominos have to honour it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Or it was simply costing them too much to continue doing it at €10. I've always found Dominos to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Hi all,

Dominos have been offering a deal for 2 recently where you can get a medium pizza with 3 toppings, garlic bread/portion of wedges and 2 cans of soft drink for €10. On their menus their is a statement saying that this offer was due to end on 6th September 2009.

I called Dominos last night to get one such deal and was told that the price is now €15 instead of €10 and new menus have been printed. I had previously ordered one around 5 days before on the old menu and paid €10. Typical rip off Ireland, this deal must have been doing well so they upped the price to fleece people some more.

Surely there must be some consumer issue here? If we have a menu with the price of €10 and the offer date of 6th September then do Dominos have to honour it?

If this was a year or two ago and they upped the price of their BEST SELLER by 300%, I might agree.

However, It doesn't take ANY stretch of the imagination that the €10 deal mentioned would not make much, if any, money for Dominos. Someone fooked up and the issue has been rectified to €15. You are still getting a great deal. Buy it or move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

they might have it advertised on a flyer - but I'd guess that if you look closely theres probably some fine print that says they can change the offer at any time...blah blah blah.... Domino's not responsible ...blah blah blah ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Or it was simply costing them too much to continue doing it at €15. I've always found Dominos to be fair.

YEah cause a large peperoni passion is really worth like 16.50:rolleyes:.
    I.d say it cost about 2 quid to make

Staff
    Rent
    Insurance
    Electricty
    Delivery
    Phoneline
    Ingredients
    Etc
    Etc
    Etc

• Advertisement

Plus heating, rent, wages, stock, ovens, etc.

Don't EVER use the argument that because it costs a company [in materials] "about 2 quid to make" that they are robbing you because they sell it for "€16.50". You don't know what you are talking about.

If it troubles you so much, make your own pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

And surely they made such calculations beforehand? Granted, demand might increase processing time, and they're probably cannibalising the sales of large pizzas, but they made the offer.
    Cutting it early is at best poor PR, and at worst false advertising, new menus or not.

The drinks are subsidised by Coca-Cola, the 'garlic bread' or 'wedges' cost sfa.

Fleecing sounds about right. When they notice the massive drop-off in orders, they'll probably drop to 12 euro.

Domino's pizzas taste like greasey, sweaty ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

RangeR wrote: »

Don't EVER use the argument that because it costs a company [in materials] "about 2 quid to make" that they are robbing you because they sell it for "€16.50". You don't know what you are talking about.

If it troubles you so much, make your own pizza.

I do i make Chicago town which taste better anyway or your money back so don't EVER use the argument of make your own.

po0k wrote: »
    And surely they made such calculations beforehand? Granted, demand might increase processing time, and they're probably cannibalising the sales of large pizzas, but they made the offer.
    Cutting it early is at best poor PR, and at worst false advertising, new menus or not.

The drinks are subsidised by Coca-Cola, the 'garlic bread' or 'wedges' cost sfa.

Fleecing sounds about right. When they notice the massive drop-off in orders, they'll probably drop to 12 euro.

Domino's pizzas taste like greasey, sweaty ass.

It's an offer, they can choose to retract it. I doubt many people will care. They always have offers and even at €15 the deal above is good value.

Dominos is hugely popular so it would seem alot of people like greasy, sweaty ass pizza, myself included.

I do i make Chicago town which taste better anyway or your money back so don't EVER use the argument of make your own.

I see. So what we have here is a Dominos competitor talking down Dominos. Sort of frowned upon around these here parts.

Move along, nothing to see here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I see. So what we have here is a Dominos competitor talking down Dominos. Sort of frowned upon around these here parts.

Move along, nothing to see here.

I dont think a guy who buys & cooks a frozen pizza can be quite be described as dominos competitor? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

In fairness lads the OP has a point, why are most of you sticking up for Dominos? The deal was due to end on 6th September 2009! Fair enough deals end, but it should have ended on 6th September, false advertising really

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Or it was simply costing them too much to continue doing it at €10.
    Then they shouldn't have offered it in the first place so. It is a sly move, hoping people might be embarrased to say no at the last minute after ordering, like what the pubs do.

He never said "in materials" or ingredients, so don't EVER misquote people :rolleyes:, or indeed just invent quotes. He never said they were robbing you either. In this forum, and the ripoff forum, people read bizarre amounts of stuff into posts, hearing what they want to hear for the sake of an argument.

Here was a post in another thread from a guy working in a pizza place.
    duffman13 wrote: »
    i dont order from the big places like dominos, you can get a 16" pizza in my place for a tenner, and as the boss likes to tell me he probably still makes 8 euro, pizza is by far the cheapest food to make and sell.
    By coinicidence his boss is saying he makes €8 profit on a €10 sale.

rubadub wrote: »
    Then they shouldn't have offered it in the first place so. It is a sly move, hoping people might be embarrased to say no at the last minute after ordering, like what the pubs do.

Why doesn't someone who cares ring them up and ask them why they stopped it, that way we can all (myself included) stop guessing.

Here was a post in another thread from a guy working in a pizza place. By coinicidence his boss is saying he makes €8 profit on a €10 sale.

Everything you read on the internet is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

None of the frozen pizzas can compare to the pizza restaurant ones, they never taste as good.
    thorbarry wrote: »
    In fairness lads the OP has a point, why are most of you sticking up for Dominos? The deal was due to end on 6th September 2009! Fair enough deals end, but it should have ended on 6th September, false advertising really

www.asai.ie and submit a complaint. They do investigate, but they have no power to fine or put any sanctions on the advertiser. They will tell them to follow the advertising code, and the record of Domino's "cheating" will be published in the monthly report.

Other than that, vote with your feet. Don't like the price, don't buy there.

I dont think a guy who buys & cooks a frozen pizza can be quite be described as dominos competitor? :confused:

Fair enough. My bad. I take that back and unreservedly apologise for making that comment. Never heard of that pizza before and had a VERY quick look on the website. It looked like a comp.

Everything you read on the internet is true.
    Fantastic original argument :rolleyes: If all else fails call them all liars.

If my local Chinese made pizza at the same margins as the main pizza places, it would be less than half the price of what they charge. I find it bizarre how they get away with their pricing stucture, since they are all around the same people just think its "the norm", its like the emporers new clothes or something.
    None of the frozen pizzas can compare to the pizza restaurant ones, they never taste as good.
    Well taste is a personal thing, I have seen a few posts agreeing before. I prefer ones straight out of the oven, but not frozen ones. But I haven't tried the chicago town ones so really cannot say either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I find it bizarre how they get away with their pricing stucture

I don't think they're "getting away" with anything, their pricing factors in the worse case scenario where delivery cost to them will be highest (eg. every order being the minimum €10, and being towards the edge of their delivery area), the delviery costs are one of their biggest overheads

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Let's forget about the costs of a pizza business etc for a moment, and focus on the issue in hand.

The offer was supposed to end Sept 6th - but it finished earlier. Is there a problem here?

Well, it all depends on whether or not Dominos had some fine print somewhere saying that they could change the special offer at any time. If they do, then they're covered.

Similar things have happened with 3 and other mobile operators where they changed supposed "for life" offers. They were able to do so because their T&Cs covered them.

If you can't find any such T&Cs, then contact the ASAI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

dudara is correct.

Secondly, I'd be weary about complaining on the phone with dominos when ordering a pizza. I'm always as nice as possible so they don't spit on my pizza. Keep that in mind. I'd rather pay 15 euro for a spit-free pizza than 10 for one with extra toppings ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

dlofnep wrote: »
    dudara is correct.

Secondly, I'd be weary about complaining on the phone with dominos when ordering a pizza. I'm always as nice as possible so they don't spit on my pizza. Keep that in mind. I'd rather pay 15 euro for a spit-free pizza than 10 for one with extra toppings ;)

I'd rather avoid the place altogether and be guaranteed of spit-free pizza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Stark wrote: »

True enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I used them twice, both times they tried to deliver it to a place with the same street name in Glenageary and was waiting over an hour, even tho I did it online, so they had a printout of the address

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'd rather avoid the place altogether and get a decent pizza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I used them twice, both times they tried to deliver it to a place with the same street name in Glenageary and was waiting over an hour, even tho I did it online, so they had a printout of the address

After the address mix up the first time, would you not order via phone the second time and clear up any address anomalies? Did you think if you tried it enough times they would get it right?

I miss Dominos. I cant get them anymore where I live, and I miss their pizzas and I have to say I always got great service. A few times when the pizza was late, they rang me the next day to apologize for the lateness and credited my account with a few euro or a box of wedges or garlic bread.

As for the OPs topic I would be surprised if there was not a clause that allowed them to change the offer. There was probably an "at participating restaurants only" clause aswell. If so, maybe the outlet came under new management, and management did away with the offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭confused-dazed

i'm already doing that. i'd trouble a while back.basically i walked in ordered a pizza, told it'd be ready in about 15 mins. no problem here. (i waited in the shop by the way and as i used to work for a similar crowd so i kinda knew the set up with take-aways and deliveries). 15 mins later so sign of the pizza,about a min or two later i see a pizza /order similar to mine being put in the hot bin.20 mins later no sign, 25 mins later i'm asked the name. i tell them (by the way i was the only customer in the shop the whole time).guy hands me pizza. then i let rip into these guys. for the ten mins it was there it was passed about 6 times by the guy that took my order and as well as that they were having great criac about football. i got home within 3 mins. pizza cold and burnt.
    staright away i'm on the net and after a bit of searching i made a complaint.
    the owner was dead on ,appologised and offered me a voucher ( which i still haven't accepted yet). he had gone to the shop sat outside and watched the goings on of these guys, went in and kicked some ass saying there were complaints.
    my experience happened four months ago and i haven't gone back since.
    unfortunately theres no four star where i live, i'd have those pizzas anytime over dominos

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The youtube videos that Dominos employees in the US uploaded have put me off any take away pizza place staffed by the neighbourhood teenage skangers for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

thorbarry wrote: »
    Exactly my point thorbarry, if 6th September is there in writing it should be adhered to. (I didn't bring a Dominos menu into work with me so can't check the finer-than-fine print if it exists)
    Why doesn't someone who cares ring them up and ask them why they stopped it, that way we can all (myself included) stop guessing.
    There's a customer service phone number on the menu that we tried to call last night at about 7 o' clock after hearing this from the Dominos employee. Needless to say it was ringing out but I'd kind of expect that after hours. I'll be trying that number later on this afternoon though to see if I get any joy out of it and will let ye all know how it goes.
    jor el wrote: »
    www.asai.ie and submit a complaint. They do investigate, but they have no power to fine or put any sanctions on the advertiser. They will tell them to follow the advertising code, and the record of Domino's "cheating" will be published in the monthly report.

Great idea jor el, if I get no joy from customer service then I might take a look at that so thanks a mill for the tip.

I know harping on about it is a bit much for some sweaty ass pizza (one of the funniest descriptions I've heard in ages) but it's the principle of the thing, if more of us stood up and questioned things then we probably wouldn't be such a rip-off nation.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    I'm always as nice as possible so they don't spit on my pizza.
    Why would you even give the place business if you think they are such utter subhuman scumbags?

Advertisement