Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 RC

• 20-08-2009 9:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

I have just bought a self build PC. I'm wondering if I install the Windows 7 RC now will the upgrade version work if I buy it, or will I have to buy the Windows 7 full version. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

You'll have to buy the full version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

If in install Vista, then the RC. When the final version is released could I just pay for the upgrade ??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If in install Vista, then the RC. When the final version is released could I just pay for the upgrade ??

Nope, or at least not according to what MS have said. If you were to install the RC, then downgrade to Vista, you could probably use the upgrade version. But then you're getting more hassle than is realistically worth bothering with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

No upgrade versions of Win7 will be sold in Europe, only full versions, so that's a format and reinstall. It's something to do with the EU ruling against Microsoft. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding of it.
    You may be able to source an upgrade version from the states though. In any case the RC versions cannot be upgraded to the full version when it's released. You'll have to da a format and full install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

F-F-F-F-FORMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

I need a new OS but decided against getting the beta of W7 as you will need to format next march. Blow that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,975 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Full Retails had just gone previously for $50 a pop. Kicking myself for not getting one. But the Family PAck is slated to be at launch for $150 and will include 3 full Retail licenses anyway: Windows 7 Home Prem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Arcto wrote: »
    F-F-F-F-FORMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

I need a new OS but decided against getting the beta of W7 as you will need to format next march. Blow that.
    Stall the ball there for a second, I'm going to have to format and reinstall the official version when it comes out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

ScumLord wrote: »
    Stall the ball there for a second, I'm going to have to format and reinstall the official version when it comes out?

Correct. It's no secret though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,975 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Pfft. formatting is painless tbh.

Overheal wrote: »
    Pfft. formatting is painless tbh.
    Reinstalling everything isn't. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Reinstalling everything isn't. :mad:

Well, there's a reason it's a release candidate given away for free and not the final commercial release. If you don't want hassle and ultimately reinstalls, you shouldn't be using it. I'm pretty sure they were open about this when the RC was first made available, though I could be wrong. I know that when the RC was made available they strongly encouraged people to reinstall rather than try to upgrade from the beta versions.

I never read small print, my own fault. I just assumed all I'd need to do is buy the license and register it up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I never read small print, my own fault. I just assumed all I'd need to do is buy the license and register it up.
    LOL

Advertisement