Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a third of property being taken over by NAMA is not even in Ireland!

Options
  • 20-08-2009 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/bad-bank--to-take-over-euro3bn-in-us-properties-1864668.html
    The bad bank is expected to take over up to €90bn worth of toxic loans from the banks over the next year, in the process becoming one of the biggest property owners in the world.

€3bn (thats €3,000,000,000 :D 9 zeros!) in US property
    €25bn in UK property

unspecified as of yet amount in Germany, East Europe and Dubai

:eek:

why does with every passing day the news about NAMA just get worse?
    :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lovelyjaws

Surely taking over an internationally diversified property portfolio is actually better for Nama?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

Lovelyjaws wrote: »
    Surely taking over an internationally diversified property portfolio is actually better for Nama?

And considering that uk property prices are on the rise again, would it be correct to assume that the 25 billion debt over there is safe enough and may even return a profit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

think about this for a minute

if they take over land here in Ireland they can do anything they wish with it such as build roads and schools

they have no such powers in other countries

and some of these places like Dubai are downright dodgy, their King could go mad and say "all foreigners out", unlikely to happen but remember its not a democracy and in some respects very dodgy

also the property prices in US have collapsed by a huge amount

UK property prices have also tumbled by a bit, not as much as here but they did fall

and finally theres no mention of how much of the property is commercial, thats the real time bomb

The problem with that is we don't have the money to fund new schools and roads.Irish property values will continue to go down for a while yet.If the portfolio is more diversified NAMA has a greater chance of being profitable or at least breaking even.

The UK portion should be pretty safe and Dubai is far from dodgey!

The commercial side will pick up as the world economy improves.Irish commercial property is pretty fooked though.

The problem with that is we don't have the money to fund new schools and roads.

i wonder why we dont have money :rolleyes:

that 90b will buy alot of roads, schools and you name it

i suppose theres nothing for developers and banks then :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Unlike roads and schools NAMA will manage assets belonging to genuine friends of FF, ie developers and bankers :(

Even if NAMA was abandoned right now we don't have the have the money for anything.Our country has been screwed by the property crash and the world recession.Unfortunately both hit in 2008.The country is basically on it's knees.

I'm not a fan of NAMA.All I'm saying is that we should be happy some of the property to be taken over is in economies that will recover faster than the Irish economy.A 100% Irish property portfolio would be too much of a burden for NAMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

all this before any mention of all the property bought in eastern europe

Even if NAMA was abandoned right now we don't have the have the money for anything.Our country has been screwed by the property crash and the world recession.Unfortunately both hit in 2008.The country is basically on it's knees.

so by your line of thinking

we should also dig our grave while we are on our knees

climb into it

and die

:rolleyes:

NAMA is a terrible joke, proposed at a very bad time

our GDP is €134billion

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ei.html

NAMA is €90+ billion

do people just blank out and dont realize how much money is being stolen from then and their kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

And considering that uk property prices are on the rise again, would it be correct to assume that the 25 billion debt over there is safe enough and may even return a profit?

As far as I know, NAMA would be taking the "bad" debts off the banks (i.e. those that are highest-risk of default). Any loans on property that is likely to go up in value probably won't fall into NAMA...

I.e. NAMA gets all the sh1te, and the banks keep the "safer" stuff.

Naz_st wrote: »
    As far as I know, NAMA would be taking the "bad" debts off the banks (i.e. those that are highest-risk of default). Any loans on property that is likely to go up in value probably won't fall into NAMA...

hence the name "toxic debt" and "bad bank"

i mean they are not even pretending its not "bad" or "toxic" and so far no one was wise enough to invent a euphemism for this

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    so by your line of thinking

we should also dig our grave while we are on our knees

climb into it

and die

:rolleyes:

NAMA is a terrible joke, proposed at a very bad time

our GDP is €134billion

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ei.html

NAMA is €90+ billion

do people just blank out and dont realize how much money is being stolen from then and their kids

Did you see my other post? Ya NAMA is crap but we had the double whammy of a world recession and a property crash which obviously did a huge amount of damage.The reality is an economy doesn't exist without a stable financial system.

Luckily the irish banks weren't involved too much in the credit derivatives mess or we'd really be fooked

Did you see my other post? Ya NAMA is crap but we had the double whammy of a world recession and a property crash which obviously did a huge amount of damage.The reality is an economy doesn't exist without a stable financial system.

Luckily the irish banks weren't involved too much in the credit derivatives mess or we'd really be fooked

let the banks fail or the market sort itself out

banks can come in from outside of ireland and cherry pick customers

i dont see why I as a tax payer should be paying for mistakes of bankers and builders, and whats worse now my savings are at risk because they ****ed up the whole system for everyone

if the banks fail who will lend money?How will people start businesses?If the banks fail everyone's savings will be lost and the goverment would be in no position to compensate anyone.It's not nice but bailing out the banks is the best way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

The beginning of Irish Imperialism!

400 years too late!!

if the banks fail who will lend money?How will people start businesses?If the banks fail everyone's savings will be lost and the goverment would be in no position to compensate anyone.It's not nice but bailing out the banks is the best way to go.

new banks would arise with a clean slate

or banks external to Ireland would come in

all NAMA does is spread the pain over many decades it doesn't make all the toxic **** go away, well it does by shifting it from people responsible for the mess to people that weren't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

If there' money to be made lending in Ireland then there'll be no shortage of foreign banks lending here.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

The problem with that is we don't have the money to fund new schools and roads.Irish property values will continue to go down for a while yet.If the portfolio is more diversified NAMA has a greater chance of being profitable or at least breaking even.

The commercial side will pick up as the world economy improves.Irish commercial property is pretty fooked though.

Dubai is definitely dodgy and fast going down the toilet. Whatever plan Fianna Fail come up with should be opposed as they are only interested in protecting the developers, not the people.

The priority should be allowing property to fall to a realistic level, the people most affected are those that speculated on property and they deserve to lose as they, the banks and Fianna Fail directly created the bubble.
    Instead what we have are Fianna Fail idiots that are trying to underpin the still ridiculously high prices.

Any loans which involve property abroad should not be sheltered in NAMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MiniDriver

From what I understand, the Irish property holdings in the UK are generally speculative BTL appartment developments in large UK cities (Manchester, Leeds etc.) - this stuff is utter crud whose value will eventually track to near-zero.

MiniDriver wrote: »
    From what I understand, the Irish property holdings in the UK are generally speculative BTL appartment developments in large UK cities (Manchester, Leeds etc.) - this stuff is utter crud whose value will eventually track to near-zero.
    NAMA is going to pretend the assets are worth more than that and continue pretending until, however long it takes, things pick up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

not near as cruddy as the stuff in eastern europe or dubai

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Interesting, and a much better proposal than the current idiotic notion.

But what about all the poor tax break bloodsuckers?

It's far too equitable a solution for the farmers party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

I don't think people really get what the level of injustice this is.
    Fianna Fail is saving their golf buddies in the banks ( anyone got prosecuted yet, no?) and their biggest donors - developers and builders.
    So Liam Caroll gets taxpayer to look after his 1.2 Billion or is it 2 Billion??? There will be 50 of them saddling taxpayer with 50 + billion. Liam gets to keep his 100+ companies and his vast wealth and taxpayer gets to have higher tax, less investment in hospitals, schools , roads and we be lucky to come out of it in 20-30 years. In the meantime busniss as usual for Mr Liam and Co... Prefab school for his kind, no way... private school . Public hospital ? I think not. Crime problems? Not where he lives...
    Working class and middle class will disappear into poverty but its ok as long as Fianna Fail is looking after themselves and their buddies.
    What is the system we live in?? Its not capitalism because in capitalism Liam and his buddies including most of the banks would go up the wall so they may learn from their incompetence and greed.

the figure of 33Billion was quoted in a previous thread for the amounts of loans taken by people in Ireland in last few years for BTL

crazy amount considering BTL adds absolutely no value to economy and produces no real wealth for economy since its a parasitic economic practice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Naz_st wrote: »

According to the Minister of Finance, ALL property related loans above a value of €5m will be taken into NAMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

This one is as bad as NAMA. I did not buy second home and did not "released the equity" in my home just to buy new car or to put the deposit down for second home or that holiday home in Turkey/Bulgaria/Romania. I know a few people who did this. What i did is pay my mortgage and any extra cash i had put it towards paying of the mortgage.

That proposal suggest to take the taxpayers money and pay of the half of the outstanding mortgage for everyone. Plain silly, same people who released the equity now would be rewarded for not been prudent with their finances.

This one is as bad as NAMA. I did not buy second home and did not "released the equity" in my home just to buy new car or to put the deposit down for second home or that holiday home in Turkey/Bulgaria/Romania. I know a few people who did this. What i did is pay my mortgage and any extra cash i had put it towards paying of the mortgage.

That proposal suggest to take the taxpayers money and pay of the half of the outstanding mortgage for everyone. Plain silly, same people who released the equity now would be rewarded for not been prudent with their finances.

exactly this only rewards the people with mortgages and who took a gamble

not fair on people who didnt buy into the whole property bubble

hows this for an alternative to NAMA

spend the money on education, health, roads, creating jobs

or for that matter stop borrowing as much money and try balance the damned budget

throwing money down the NAMA black hole is such a bad financial move its makes me wonder whether some people gone blind altogether

what happened to prudency and common sense

• Advertisement

Good alternative to the current NAMA here by Dr. Constantin Gurdgiev (via the property pin).

http://trueeconomics.blogspot.com/2009/08/nama-30-more-weight.html

One of the key points here is that share and bond holders should be first to take the hit which is actually the normal course of events. NAMA is designed so they are protected and the full burden of their lack of judgement falls on the tax payer.

Advertisement