Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms magazines in Ireland?

• 20-08-2009 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hello all.

I was directed to this forum in the hope that a couple of questions of mine can be answered.

I have slowly built up a collection of various magazines over the years. I was in the UK about 8 years back now, which is when I really started adding to my original basic collection. Obviously the UK has a vibrant market in such items. I'm due to arrive in Ireland, from outside the EU, in the next 3 weeks for a family wedding. Due to time constraints, I'll be unable to go to the UK mailand to shop for any items.

I was hoping to perhaps buy 3 or 4 different ex military or surplus magazines whilst in Ireland. I was hoping perhaps to buy a Sten, Bren, MP-40 or perhaps an SLR magazine. (I have 2 different types already - FN and R1 ... so an inch-pattern SLR mag from a different manufacturer would complement them nicely.)
    I have been informed by one of your countrymen that he doesn't think a market really exists for military surplus items such as these in the Republic. My questions are as follows:

Is there a military surplus company in Ireland that sells these types of items? Are there trade shows, no matter how small, that deal in this? Failing this, is it perhaps better to take the train up to Belfast to have a look around there, that city being in the UK? Failing all of this, is it legal to order via mail order these items from the UK mainland for delivery to Dublin? In the last scenario, I'm obviously concerned about legality. I'm aware that in certain countries, any firearm accessory requires a licence for that particular weapon, even though some of the magazines I've mentioned are of historical significance to someone such as me.

I greatly appreciate any feedback from boardmembers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Mods perhap this is better in military forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Moved from Shooting to Militaria.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wilhelm

Apologies for posting in the wrong section.

Does anyone have any information on my questions? I have done a bit of googling, but I've found nothing of substance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi Wilhelm,

welcome to the forum.

Hm, I am not sure if you can get magazines here freely. As far as I know they are classified as a firearm although they only constitute a part of it. You'd probably need a firearms licence for these here in Ireland. The only other magazines I saw are part of deactivated firearms such as Stens etc. Again you'd need a letter of approval from your local Superintendent if you collect deactivated firearms as they are still classified as "defective" firearms.

Hope this helps a bit.

Best,
    Preusse

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wilhelm

Preusse wrote: »
    Hi Wilhelm,

welcome to the forum.

Hm, I am not sure if you can get magazines here freely. As far as I know they are classified as a firearm although they only constitute a part of it. You'd probably need a firearms licence for these here in Ireland. The only other magazines I saw are part of deactivated firearms such as Stens etc. Again you'd need a letter of approval from your local Superintendent if you collect deactivated firearms as they are still classified as "defective" firearms.

Hope this helps a bit.

Best,
    Preusse

Hi Preusse

Thanks for the feedback. So to confirm ...... I would need a licence to be in possession of a firearm magazine.

I wonder if I managed to nip over to the mainland, buy a couple just before my departure flight from Dublin, whether this would be illegal? I suspect it might be so, even though I have no intent to stay and have a flight booked?

Perhaps I should just try and nip over to the mainland and mail them direct to my home, which is outside the UK. I didn't have any trouble taking my collection with me when I left the UK a few years back, although they were packaged with the rest of my household goods in a container and not posted...

• Advertisement
Advertisement