Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a wireless modem router?

Options
  • 20-08-2009 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi guys,
    I realise these kind of questions tend to pop up regularly, but I thought 'me too!'

I've got a ps3, and have been fooling around with using ps3media server to transcode movies onto the ps3. The only problem is that I can't seem to scrape together enough bandwidth to have a decent stream of HD files.

The internal network is composed of an old netopia wirelss modem, and a couple of wireless g + n adapters on the various computers. The house is rented, so I can't tear up the place and wire it for gigabit ethernet 8-/

The ps3 I think uses an early version of wireless g, so I'm trying to get around its limitations by using an ethernet over powerline 200mbps adapter - one plugged into the wireless modem router, and the other to the ps3. (which seems to work - though I don't know how to test the connection speed on the ps3 yet)

The problem is that my files are upstairs on a different pc (which has an N adapter) - and I think the bottleneck is streaming from there to the router.

So I thought I'd replace the netopia modem router and see if that makes a difference.

Can anyone recommend a wireless N modem router that I can put tomato or DD-WRT on, that's dual band (so G+N at the same time), with a couple of ethernet ports, and possibly NAS usb support? (recently lost a hd, better plan for that too).

Any comments? Cheers!
    Rob.

Advertisement