Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jurassic Squid

• 20-08-2009 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been done!
    A new Species of Jurassic Squid has been found, amazingly the Palaeontologists were able to write using an extraction from the fossilised sample of Ink. 150 million year old species of Squid. I didn't think it would have been possible to have soft tissues fossilised, but I'm pretty new to this, fascinating nonetheless.:D

_46228866_squid_comp282.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/8208838.stm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

That certainly is an amazing find. Soft tissues in general are not that uncommon in fossils, but teh ink sack of a squid is really taking it to the extreme.
    There was an octopus find recently that was incredibly well preserved, but this new squid puts even that to shame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

Galvasean wrote: »
    There was an octopus find recently that was incredibly well preserved, but this new squid puts even that to shame!

I remember reading that thread, pretty incredible. It gives me hope that they may yet find some fossils ( even partial ) of some of the earlier shark species.

Advertisement