Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supple calls it a day

• 20-08-2009 11:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live_feed/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=nonwire_soccer/09/08/20/manual_105743.html&ID=
    NO MORE FOOTBALL FOR SUPPLE

Ipswich have confirmed goalkeeper Shane Supple has had his contract cancelled to pursue a career outside football.

The Republic of Ireland Under-21 international only signed a new deal to stay at Portman Road this summer but has decided to leave the game after 38 appearances for the club.

The 22-year-old said: "It's something I have been thinking about for a long while.

"It's obviously a big decision but I feel that playing professional football is not something I want to continue doing as a career. Deep down my heart is not in the game anymore.

"I have fallen out of love with the game and I'd always said if that happened I wouldn't hang around.

"When I was younger all I wanted to do was play in the Premier League but as you grow up you realize there are other things in life and the game is not what I thought it was. People probably think I'm crazy but I'm not going to stay in the game for anyone else."

Have to say I'm very surprised at this. He seemed to have been getting on quite well at Ipswich and has played plenty of first team football.

I played against him in schools football and he was one of the best keepers I've ever seen in terms of potential. Really thought he could have stepped up to the Ireland squad at some point.

He has an FA Youth Cup winners medal as well I believe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Personally, I would have just sat around watching the money roll in for another 15 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Wonder will this have any immediate impact on the Brian Murphy situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

What's the career he's leaving to pursue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Its a strange one but like any job, if you dont like it then its very hard to stay in it. I wouldnt be suprsied if there is more underlying factors here (family, homesick etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Personally, I would have just sat around watching the money roll in for another 15 years.
    Eh. Thats where you would be wrong and probably why he left.

Hes on a pittance compared to what you may think hes earning, would have made most of his cash when he actually played. If you have been following Ipswich in anyway you would see Dickie Wright is 1st choice.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

stovelid wrote: »
    Wonder will this have any immediate impact on the Brian Murphy situation.
    It's possible Keane knew of the situation and is why he was interested in Murphy in the first place.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Sizzler wrote: »
    Eh. Thats where you would be wrong and probably why he left.

Hes on a pittance compared to what you may think hes earning, would have made most of his cash when he actually played. If you have been following Ipswich in anyway you would see Dickie Wright is 1st choice.

Good luck to him coming home or even staying in England and trying to find a job with things the way they are, especially if he has no work experience/3rd level qualifications.

I'm going to guess his decision to quit football had nothing to do with money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

There is something dodgy about this. He signed a contract in the summer and has been pushed out and now Keane who seems intent on signing the entire cork city squad has made a player feel like this :(

Good luck to Shane and I feel it is an utter shame :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ipwich are going down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

mike65 wrote: »
    Ipwich are going down.

Cos Supple left? Definitely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

angel01 wrote: »
    There is something dodgy about this. He signed a contract in the summer and has been pushed out and now Keane who seems intent on signing the entire cork city squad has made a player feel like this :(
    (
    In another article Supple mentions how understanding Keane has been over the situation

Don't see what Cork City have to do with it :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Heard about this earlier. I find it very strange that he'd pack it all in considering the ability he has.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Doesn't like it anymore and left, fair play. At least he isn't going to stick around for a couple K a week and do the bare minimum like others who feel the same way.

gustavo wrote: »
    In another article Supple mentions how understanding Keane has been over the situation

Don't see what Cork City have to do with it :confused:

Look at the players he is signing... I imagine Keane forced him out. He is hardly going to sit there slagging him off. Keane wanted to push him down the pecking order and has brought in yet another cork player (a keeper!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol put back on that tinfoil hat

Look at the players he is signing... I imagine Keane forced him out. He is hardly going to sit there slagging him off. Keane wanted to push him down the pecking order and has brought in yet another cork player (a keeper!)
    Who is this Cork City keeper they have brought in oh wise one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

I wonder if he'll have a change of mind when he comes back and realises that life on the dole or working some BS 9-5 job isn't all that great either.

and has brought in yet another cork player (a keeper!)

Are thinking of the links to Brian Murphy, the Bohemians keeper?

I could actually see Supple coming back into the game at a later stage.Perhaps he's just disenchanted at the minute.

Perhaps he could pursue another career and play part-time over here. :cool:

stovelid wrote: »
    Are thinking of the links to Brian Murphy, the Bohemians keeper?

I could actually see Supple coming back into the game at a later stage.Perhaps he's just disenchanted at the minute.

Perhaps he could pursue another career and play part-time over here. :cool:

http://www.itfc.co.uk/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10272~47763,00.html

• Advertisement

You mean he's from Cork. Not signed from Cork City?

Thought he was from Dublin.

Good man , well done there

Not only was he not signed from Cork City but he was signed before Keane took over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I'm certainly no great fan of or defender of Roy Keane but from what I,ve read of this situation Roy has no blame at all and for once it just actually appears to be what it says on the tin, the guy simply wasnt enjoying the game anymore and decided it wasnt for him and tbh fair play to him the easy thing would have been to just plod along for the next few years going through the motions.

And if Keane wanted rid why did he select him for the last carling cup game where he saved a penalty I think I remember reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

In fairness, most footballers aren't that well paid. He's probably not making more than 50 grand a year, and while that's a hell of a lot of money in the short term, 30k a year for 25 years is a lot safer than 50k a year for 10.

Not sure what he's going to go off and do, but if he went off and did something like medicine or law or whatever he could easily end up making more money than anyone shy of a top division footballer.

I hope it works out for him anyway, and I'd love to know what he's going to do next.

Back between the sticks already -

http://hill16.ie/viewstoryhill16.asp?mainheading=Word+on+The+Hill&id=11558&viewstory=yes
    The game was played at a good tempo with Judes opening up the Brigids defence in the fourth minute with a clever diagonal ball which Declan Donnelly won before releasing wing-forward Ronan Joyce and he gave former Ipswich Town netminder, Shane Supple, no chance from close range.

That didn't last long :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Back between the sticks already -

http://hill16.ie/viewstoryhill16.asp?mainheading=Word+on+The+Hill&id=11558&viewstory=yes

That didn't last long :rolleyes:

in a different sport, and not full time. Hardly the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

in a different sport, and not full time. Hardly the same thing.

Don't think he (Xavi6) meant it was the same thing..Obviously he still wants to play sport but not on a professional level.

I just find it baffling that he said he had enough of playing in goal day in, day out at a professional level, and as soon as he goes home......he goes back in goal.

I wonder what Royston would make of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I just find it baffling that he said he had enough of playing in goal day in, day out at a professional level, and as soon as he goes home......he goes back in goal.

I wonder what Royston would make of it.

Indeed - he has had enough of playing in goal day in day out at a professional level, and it isn't what he wants to do with his life.

He is playing in goal, in a different sport, at an amateur/part time level. It is completely different.

He would have first became a keeper because it is what he likes and is good at, just because he stops playing pro soccer you think he should never want to play football in goals again? or play in goals in any sport again? If he wants to keep fit and active he should stick to the running track and the swimming pool?

• Advertisement

Fair enough.

Well if nothing else it provides ammunition for the next time the GAA heads say soccer robs all their best players.

Brigid's poached him from Ipswich so they did! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Surely Shane was on about a grand a week in England with the potential to earn far far more?

Wonder how Shane will feel when he comes home to a job that pays half that, if he can get a job at all.

Fair play to him though, shows he must have a bit of depth to him if he can turn down what must be/could be great money because he doesn't like the job. I don't particularly like my job either... but it pays well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Fair play to him though, shows he must have a bit of depth to him if he can turn down what must be/could be great money because he doesn't like the job. I don't particularly like my job either... but it pays well.

Im sure if he is playing with Brigids, then there's a good chance that they would assist him in the finding of a job if he hadn't got one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Great article here in which Shane Supple gives his reasons for walking away from the game:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1213474/EXCLUSIVE-I-quit-escape-players-didn-t-care-says-Shane-Supple.html

Must say I'm very impressed with the guy's attitude on life and I hope everything works out well for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Great article here in which Shane Supple gives his reasons for walking away from the game:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1213474/EXCLUSIVE-I-quit-escape-players-didn-t-care-says-Shane-Supple.html

Must say I'm very impressed with the guy's attitude on life and I hope everything works out well for him.

"His dream has been replaced by an ambition, to follow his father Brendan into the Irish police force, the Garda Siochana"

Hence getting into Gaa for a bit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

He also enjoyed his brief loan spell at Falkirk ‘because the players brought packed lunches’.
    cant beat the ham sambos!

• Advertisement
Advertisement