Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name and shame the Rip-Off Merchants here!!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Cabaal wrote: »
    IF however your too lazy or stupid to shop around then you deserve to pay the stupidity tax of paying extra for an item or service that can be obtained cheaper elsewhere.

That's perfectly true, and this thread is for consumers to share their experiences of retailers they found overly expensive.
    Soundman wrote: »
    How come then, using your logic, that Ticket Touts get such a bad wrap? After all it is just supply and demand surely going on what you are saying? They bought the tickets at the correct price, but because people NEED these tickets and they are willing to pay over the odds which is what the "Touts" are asking, it morally reprehensible.

Nothing wrong with touting, in my opinion. It may be against the promoters Terms of Service, though.

Anyway, my "rip-off" isn't really a rip-off, but anything you ever see in Army Bargains on Capel Street is always, in my experience, overpriced compared to the online option, or even other outdoor retailers in town. I avoid them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

long term parking at the airport.
    charge per day went from €7.50 to €8.50 on 1st September.
    That's over 13% increase in price overnight in these deflationary times.
    That's charge is per day or part thereof so if you are out of the country for 30 hours you are paying €17 for parking.
    I'm going to avoid parking in the long term car parks from now on and will take the bus or will bum a lift in future.

Anyone know of any cheaper parking around the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Heard a good one on the radio this week ref one of the shops in Knock, Co Mayo, charging 3.50 for an ice cream, what that about!!!!

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Heard a good one on the radio this week ref one of the shops in Knock, Co Mayo, charging 3.50 for an ice cream, what that about!!!!

Brgds
    Johnny

That's not really rip off.

When you factor in the cost of road haulage, ice cream storage, light bulb's for fridges and global warming. This turns out to be excellent value for money.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

That's not really rip off.

When you factor in the cost of road haulage, ice cream storage, light bulb's for fridges and global warming. This turns out to be excellent value for money.:D

It's also not naming and shaming if you don't name them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Mailman wrote: »
    long term parking at the airport.
    charge per day went from €7.50 to €8.50 on 1st September.
    That's over 13% increase in price overnight in these deflationary times.
    That's charge is per day or part thereof so if you are out of the country for 30 hours you are paying €17 for parking.
    I'm going to avoid parking in the long term car parks from now on and will take the bus or will bum a lift in future.

Anyone know of any cheaper parking around the airport?

It is €7 going by their website

http://www.dublinairport.com/to-and-from/car-parking/long-term.html

a bit less

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

pro100_latte.gif

Just spotted this stuff in the new Listowel Spar Express Esso petrol station @ €4.70, :eek: and no, surprisingly enough, I didn't buy any.

Even our local robbing SuperValu only charges €2.76. Tesco charges €2.59.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Cabaal wrote: »
    Since when are we in a depression?

Nobody is ripping anyone off, at the end of the day you as a consumer DO NOT HAVE TO buy from the shop in question, your job as a consumer is to shop around this is your only basic task before buying an item.

IF however your too lazy or stupid to shop around then you deserve to pay the stupidity tax of paying extra for an item or service that can be obtained cheaper elsewhere.

In respect of prices and shops, at end of the day a shop is not breaking any laws by selling an item for say 10e that can be obtained elsewhere for 7e, just like I can buy an item for 10e and resell it for 40e...if someone buys it then happy days for me. :D

I've been saying this for years

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

I've 2 to add!!!

I had a £20 gift voucher for M&S.. When I went to use it in Dublin, I was told that it was worth €21.70 - an exchange rate of €1 = £0.93. I thought this seemed a bit low.

I used it to buy three packets of tights, which came to €30.75, so I had to pay €9 towards the price. When I came home, I took off the € price stickers to reveal the £stg ones underneath...the total I would have paid in sterling would have been £22.50. This means an exchange rate of €1 = £0.73 was used. That's a 20% difference between what they use on gift vouchers - complete farce and rip off. I don't even know if it's legal, but I presume they can do whatever they like!! Had I been in the UK, I would have ended up paying £2.50 towards my purchase, in Ireland, I had to pay €9. Makes no sense.

I emailed their customer service department to complain, but as you can imagine, have heard nothing back in reply!!

Also, I recently ordered a suite of furniture from Cost Plus Sofas. They wanted €1550 for it, but as I saw it online in the UK for €1250, they gave it to me for that. (It's the Maria snuggle sofa plus one seater by the way). My Mam saw the exact same set in Michael Murphy's in Newbridge for €3,600 a few days ago!! Almost three times the price.

How do places like this expect to stay in business in a recession....and who are the stupid people willing to pay these kind of prices??

• Registered Users Posts: 42 b4nd1t

I have to say Cabaal that I would technically say this is a depression when Ireland now has a net migration again and that most peoples experience that once they have lost their job, it is impossible for them to get another one. During previous "recessions", people have managed to find some kind of work.

And therefore with this economic background, yes people are being fleeced in many shops and this thread is to garner consumer awareness in order to help stretch euro's in a time of need. And although people do have a choice, it is still not desirable to have to travel for miles and spend hours of preciously short time to find goods at a fair price due to some retailers having an unfair economic advantage over consumers that isnt present in other consumer friendly countries. ie poor infrastructure in dublin means that we have to put up with rip-off convenience stores instead of better value offering supermarkets.

This is of especial importance nowadays due to a more mobile populace who can travel more frequently through the EU and make big purchases in places where it is offering better value for money. ie €100 for a pair of shoes in clarks when I can pick up 3 or 4 pairs of good quality shoes in BATA in many european countries.

I have 2 rip offs to beware,

H&M St Stephens green, has clothes and a crazy euro/stg exchange rate,... 29.99€ v 20GBP !!!!!

Centra Fairview... Blossom Hill Rose... €10.49 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Asda price 4 GBP!!!!!!!!!!

I'd say that unless NAMA is stopped and the speculators in property who have driven commercial rents to exorbitante levels for some crappy properties are made to suffer their losses... things like the above will only continue and lead Ireland to further ruin...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

kkcatlou wrote: »
    I've 2 to add!!!

I had a £20 gift voucher for M&S.. When I went to use it in Dublin, I was told that it was worth €21.70 - an exchange rate of €1 = £0.93. I thought this seemed a bit low.

I used it to buy three packets of tights, which came to €30.75, so I had to pay €9 towards the price. When I came home, I took off the € price stickers to reveal the £stg ones underneath...the total I would have paid in sterling would have been £22.50. This means an exchange rate of €1 = £0.73 was used. That's a 20% difference between what they use on gift vouchers - complete farce and rip off. I don't even know if it's legal, but I presume they can do whatever they like!! Had I been in the UK, I would have ended up paying £2.50 towards my purchase, in Ireland, I had to pay €9. Makes no sense.

I emailed their customer service department to complain, but as you can imagine, have heard nothing back in reply!!

Also, I recently ordered a suite of furniture from Cost Plus Sofas. They wanted €1550 for it, but as I saw it online in the UK for €1250, they gave it to me for that. (It's the Maria snuggle sofa plus one seater by the way). My Mam saw the exact same set in Michael Murphy's in Newbridge for €3,600 a few days ago!! Almost three times the price.

How do places like this expect to stay in business in a recession....and who are the stupid people willing to pay these kind of prices??

M&S in Ireland charge Irish vat of 21.5% also, you can't expect retailers to change pricing everyday. Only 3 weeks ago, th sterling rate was €1.22 / £1 from the banks.

As for Michael Murphy's - there's no possible way it was the same item of the same quality. Cost plus sofas, sell a basic quality of furniture primarily made in china. Michael Murphy's have for generations sold only high quality furniture and stand over every product they sell and have a phenomenal reputation in Kildare & Wexford for service, quality products and value.

I've no connection with murphy's but have been a customer of theirs for years as has my father and never have felt their prices being anything but fair - and virtually everything ever bought from them is still in everyday use!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 b4nd1t

mcaul wrote: »
    M&S in Ireland charge Irish vat of 21.5% also, you can't expect retailers to change pricing everyday. Only 3 weeks ago, th sterling rate was €1.22 / £1 from the banks.
    !

In this economic environment.. YES we can expect them to change their prices daily!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

mcaul wrote: »

As for Michael Murphy's - there's no possible way it was the same item of the same quality. Cost plus sofas, sell a basic quality of furniture primarily made in china. Michael Murphy's have for generations sold only high quality furniture and stand over every product they sell and have a phenomenal reputation in Kildare & Wexford for service, quality products and value.

I've no connection with murphy's but have been a customer of theirs for years as has my father and never have felt their prices being anything but fair - and virtually everything ever bought from them is still in everyday use!

That is the same Michael Murphys who sold the products I bought to someone else when I went to collect them. Never would I go near the place again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

kkcatlou wrote: »
    Also, I recently ordered a suite of furniture from Cost Plus Sofas. They wanted €1550 for it, but as I saw it online in the UK for €1250, they gave it to me for that. (It's the Maria snuggle sofa plus one seater by the way). My Mam saw the exact same set in Michael Murphy's in Newbridge for €3,600 a few days ago!! Almost three times the price. QUOTE]

If you read the comments on furniture.ie abut cost plus, you'd avoid them. (same owners as Courts Furniture - remember them with their shoddy product & non existent service?)

http://www.furniture.ie/community/discussion/433/cost-plus-sofas/#Item_0

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

[HTML]Also, I recently ordered a suite of furniture from Cost Plus Sofas. They wanted €1550 for it, but as I saw it online in the UK for €1250, they gave it to me for that. (It's the Maria snuggle sofa plus one seater by the way). My Mam saw the exact same set in Michael Murphy's in Newbridge for €3,600 a few days ago!! Almost three times the price. [/HTML]

100% its the same sofa...you don't have to believe me, but it is!! It's the Maria snuggle sofa in kensington design. It's also for sale in Kingsbury in Tallaght and available online from sofasandfurniture.co.uk. They obviously all get them from the same suppliers.

5312_1_.jpg

I agree cost plus sofas don't have the best customer service, but hey, for an extra €2,400 in my bank account I'll easily take crap customer service!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 page28

Hi there......
    Went to LV shopping center in Dublin today, went in to Burton's
    Spotted a kool jumper....
    Went over to check the price it was 28 Euro and the sterling price was
    £17, bit of a difference I thought ...
    Checked other prices but they were all removed. Went to River Island
    spotted a pair of shoes for 84 Euro, came home checked on their site
    and they were £64....
    So off to Newry tomorrow....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

page28 wrote: »
    Hi there......
    Went to LV shopping center in Dublin today, went in to Burton's
    Spotted a kool jumper....
    Went over to check the price it was 28 Euro and the sterling price was
    £17, bit of a difference I thought ...
    Checked other prices but they were all removed. Went to River Island
    spotted a pair of shoes for 84 Euro, came home checked on their site
    and they were £64....
    So off to Newry tomorrow....

Waste of petrol for what it's worth, IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rcecil

I almost bought Tesco's advertising campaign about price reductions. Yes there were some. I used to alternate between Carrick and Enniskillen finding an average 30 % difference and a far wider selection and more specials in Enniskillen. Then the big media campaign. I noticed some ripoffs changed. Chocolate syrup dropped from 2;.23 to 1.11. Wireless keyboard dropped from 19.99 to 12.99. So I was full of hope that they had realized the error of their ways.

Nope. They still are 20% more dear in my basket overall with lots of little scams to boot. Here are some:

Filling empty spaces on advertised specials with lookalike products for double. Most people don't notice they were overcharged.

Advertising 1 litre sodas at a sale price when the 2 litre is far cheaper.

Damaged merchandise being sold at 10% off when most stores would do 1/2 price.

Advertisement