Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd Manager after Fergie?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

ShooterSF wrote: »
    *Stands in corner with hands over his ears and closes his eyes*
    LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA
    LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

Youre in good company so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Queiroz.

Lols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

My money is on Pep Guardiola.

Openly stated he will stay at Barca for 3 years max. A proven candidate and a great football mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Francis Jeffers. :pac:

Jeffers_F-05.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Moyes. I'd think the United board would be looking for someone for the long run and not someone with Mourinho's (two years and i'm otta here attitude)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Moyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Roy Keane

or

Morinho

or

Jaap Stam

or

Ottmar Hitzfeld

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Big Sam Allardyse of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'd be shocked it it wasn't Mourinho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

gimmick wrote: »
    My money is on Pep Guardiola.

Openly stated he will stay at Barca for 3 years max. A proven candidate and a great football mind.

if he is only planning on staying there for 3 years, I can't imagine him staying at United for any decent period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Can only see one of the former players. I'd be very surprised if they go for someone like Jose, even for a short bench warmer, but I wouldnt be surprised to see the likes of Steve McClaren, Martin O’Neil, Steve Coppell...They really will have to make a statement whenever they decide. ..

hughes would be a perfect statement, taking the job for the "glory" not the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Mourinho would be the only manager I'd be comfortable with. He'd continue the tradition of winning and people being bitter about it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

not sure if Mourinho would continue the tradition of winning at Old Trafford if he were to take over.

He couldn't win the PL his lsat couple of years at Chelsea when he had a stronger squad & far more resources than he'd have at Utd for the forseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Yeah but Fergie wouldn't be around to stop him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Mourinho or Pep Guardiola(Liverpool could be on his mind imo) or Moyes or 'Wee' Fergie or Steve Bruce or Martin O'Neill. Keano could also be a candidate if he improves vastly in the next 2/3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Lads we're talking about the biggest and best club in the world here and only the best will do.

If we want to talk seriously im pretty sure we'll go for Mourinho and i reckon he wants the job too. He's been saying a lot of good things about Utd since he left the Prem.

But if this thread is about arsing about like francis jeffers and several others above then i say why not Robbie Blake :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Mr Alan wrote: »
    not sure if Mourinho would continue the tradition of winning at Old Trafford if he were to take over.

He couldn't win the PL his lsat couple of years at Chelsea when he had a stronger squad & far more resources than he'd have at Utd for the forseeable future.

Bit harsh there I think. He failed to win it in his last full season, the following he was gone by September (which wasn't a reflection of his ability, but the falling out with Abramovich).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I think Steve Bruce has a chance now to prove himself at Sunderland. I've been a fan of his management for a while, it will be interesting to see how he does with the better resources he has now.

Mourinho's football is too defensive and workman-like, i wouldn't be happy with him. United fans who are saying that it's all about winning and that style doesn't matter are supporting the wrong club tbh.

Unlike most people I'm not a big fan of Moyes. I think he's great in the transfer market and he organizes and motivates the team well but his teams never manage to play well in possession imo. And I don't think you can blame it all on the quality of players he has.

Thing is though, it will probably be a few years before Ferguson calls it a day so the options most likely will have changed a lot when the time does come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mr Alan wrote: »

I understand where you are coming from, but he only lost the title one season didn't he, being sacked rather early in the running for the next?

Also, I do think he showed at Porto that he knows how to put a winning team together without massive resources (more so with respect to Uefa and CL wins)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I understand where you are coming from, but he only lost the title one season didn't he, being sacked rather early in the running for the next?

Also, I do think he showed at Porto that he knows how to put a winning team together without massive resources (more so with respect to Uefa and CL wins)

Plus that titleless season he won the 2 domestic cups.

He's just a natural winner.

As for his style of play, I seem to remember him playing good football his 1st season at Chelsea.

Pro F - Stop trying to act all high and mighty, it's cringe worthy. If Mourinho won a premiership or champions league at Man Utd would you sit there and moan? Like f*ck you would

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

There only one other premiership manager I would like to see in the job, deep breathe, Wenger, there i've said it.

There's probably not a snowball in hells chance of that happening but if it did we would be assured of quality football and his transfer record is second to none. Fergies new best mate would be the ideal candidate IMO .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Micheal Owen or Eamon Dunphy sure he managed to stay alive all these years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Souness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

To be honest, it is hard to look at anyone but Mourinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Capello though I would love to see Sven take over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Owen Coyle.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Eric Cantona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Wenger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

If the choice was down to me , I would have Wenger in a heartbeat , But it will never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Joe Kinnear - he's a tough bloke and won't mind the smell around the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

why are we talking about this?!

Fergie won't go until he's at least 93.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Wenger is 60 this year, hardly a long term solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Boggles wrote: »
    Wenger is 60 this year, hardly a long term solution.

Yeah, we'd just get the 7 years out of him. Very short term. (That would bring him close to SAF right now).

Talking about Wenger is absolutely pointless. Never in a million years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Lads we're talking about the biggest and best club in the world here and only the best will do.

lol im sorry to say but this isnt true at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Martin O'Neill
    Martin O’Neil
    Martin O'Neill.

*chuckle*

he wouldnt get to november if he was put in charge of united

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Paulw wrote: »
    Roy Keane.

we'll he'll probably be available soon eough after he walks out on Ipswich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Yeah, we'd just get the 7 years out of him. Very short term. (That would bring him close to SAF right now).

Talking about Wenger is absolutely pointless. Never in a million years.

I'd settle for seven years of Wenger, A short term appointment of a proven manager may be ideal for Fergie's successor as the pressure on whoever takes over will be immense.

Never say never where football is concerned , who would have bet on michael owen ever donning the united jersey?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Pro. F wrote: »
    I think Steve Bruce has a chance now to prove himself at Sunderland. I've been a fan of his management for a while, it will be interesting to see how he does with the better resources he has now.

Mourinho's football is too defensive and workman-like, i wouldn't be happy with him. United fans who are saying that it's all about winning and that style doesn't matter are supporting the wrong club tbh.

Unlike most people I'm not a big fan of Moyes. I think he's great in the transfer market and he organizes and motivates the team well but his teams never manage to play well in possession imo. And I don't think you can blame it all on the quality of players he has.

Thing is though, it will probably be a few years before Ferguson calls it a day so the options most likely will have changed a lot when the time does come.

SAF's tactics in Europe are hardly much different. Mourinho is the only serious candidate imo. Any entertainment vaule lost on the beach when we win another champions leage/leage would be made up in his entertainment value esp away to the likes of Liverpool in his post match interviews. His comments aboyut the Untd job are refreshing considering all the the players these days drooling over switchs to Madrid

Trippie wrote: »
    lol im sorry to say but this isnt true at all.

Well thats your opinion, the same way that I have mine. Im guessing your going to throw in AC at this point?

Between us and Real imo but thats not really the issue here and its quite hard to actually find out who is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Hate to say it but its looking more and more like Mourinho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

United would have kept Ronaldo and have Ribery & Benzema on their books now if they were the biggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

TonyD79 wrote: »
    United would have kept Ronaldo and have Ribery & Benzema on their books now if they were the biggest.

Or alternatively if english weather was warmer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

If we want to talk seriously im pretty sure we'll go for Mourinho and i reckon he wants the job too. He's been saying a lot of good things about Utd since he left the Prem.

But if this thread is about arsing about like francis jeffers and several others above then i say why not Robbie Blake :rolleyes:
    ? Not even the most successful club in the UK never mind the World.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

curry-muff wrote: »
    Or alternatively if english weather was warmer

and the tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bandit12 wrote: »

here it comes

why start a utd v liverpool fight ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

close it before the carnage, please.

it was going quite well too.

Bandit12 wrote: »

Not the only factor in biggest club in determining the world's biggest club but as I said this thread is about Fergie and nicely created on the back of a defeat in game 2 of the season.

As said above, not going the Pool-Utd route either, not a fan of it and its very tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Well thats your opinion, the same way that I have mine. Im guessing your going to throw in AC at this point?

Between us and Real imo but thats not really the issue here and its quite hard to actually find out who is.

I wouldnt say milan are anyway near to being the biggest and best. Late 80's and 90's yes they were but are nowhere close now.

There are clear ways to find out who the best and the biggest though. I dont know how you can say as a valid arguement that it is your opinion that united are the best in the world. What makes them the best club in the world. Is it the fact they have the most supporters, the fact the have the highest revenues, the best players, won the most or the fact that they are the biggest team out of our two tiny islands in a global sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Unearthly wrote: »
    Pro F - Stop trying to act all high and mighty, it's cringe worthy. If Mourinho won a premiership or champions league at Man Utd would you sit there and moan? Like f*ck you would

How do you know what I would do? I criticise Ferguson for playing defensively in Europe so of course would criticise Mourinho, who's more negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I think its fair to say Real Madrid are the biggest club in the world.

United would be second.

This is why i don't think Mourinho would go there, i think he likes to think he's bigger than the club & even he isn't deluded enough to think that about Utd.

Said it already, he'll end up at City.

• Advertisement
Advertisement