Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd Manager after Fergie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

O' Neill or Moyes with any luck.

Maureen will be managing the other team in Manchester by the time Mr. Ferguson goes away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

O'Neill is simply not good enough.

the majority of Villa fans no longer think he is good enough for them anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Pro. F wrote: »
    How do you know what I would do? I criticise Ferguson for playing defensively in Europe so of course would criticise Mourinho, who's more negative.

Well I for one reckon you were delighted Champions League final 2008 night.

You will probably say you weren't but I won't believe you anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Get Big Ron Atkinson back just for his hilarious quotes.....in all seriousness, Mourinho or Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Mr Alan wrote: »

This is why i don't think Mourinho would go there, i think he likes to think he's bigger than the club & even he isn't deluded enough to think that about Utd.

Said it already, he'll end up at City.

Why did he say this then?

Jose Mourinho “I would consider going to Manchester United, but United have to consider if they want me to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson. If they do, then of course,”

I dislike his arrogance and I think he is over rated, I wouldn't want him at United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I would say that a certain level of arrogance is essential in someone taking on a job of the scale of the United managership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

flahavaj wrote: »
    I would say that a certain level of arrogance is essential in someone taking on a job of the scale of the United managership.

Yep - i dislike the style of football Mourinho employed at Chelsea for the most part; but his general style of management of the team and club in general is very Fergie-esque, and I can't think of another manager who would be less phased by taking over directly from Ferguson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Why did he say this then?

Jose Mourinho “I would consider going to Manchester United, but United have to consider if they want me to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson. If they do, then of course,”

I dislike his arrogance and I think he is over rated, I wouldn't want him at United.

I'm not trying to start a row, but isn't Fergie one of the more arrogant managers around?

I'm not trying to start a row, but isn't Fergie one of the more arrogant managers around?

My rowing days are over. I don't find him arrogant , I don't expect everyone to share that opinion. He doesn't lable himself the special one though he would be more entitled to than Mr. Murinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Tis gas that Man U supporters are thinking that the next manager will last anywhere near the time that Ferguson has. I'd be very surprised if the next guy gets near 5 seasons in charge.

I think its going to be a case of Fergie's shadow causing unfair pressure on the next few managers and that lack patience with managers by the fans then the board (cos of the fans) will cause instability and they'll suffer because of it.

Most managers nowadays struggle to maintain 100% control of first team affairs and Ferguson is the highest profile manager that gets minimal boardroom interference. I dont think the next guy will get that no matter what they say to the press.

Mourinho ticks every box for what the next Man United manager needs to be. How he handled Chelsea in season 1 & 2 is what they want. He's the only manager that I'd leave alone to handle first team affairs if I owned a club because he's a proven track record of knowing exactly what to do with that responsibility. When people interfered with his job, he and his team began to suffer.

Cant really think of anyone else that fits the bill as good as him

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    Tis gas that Man U supporters are thinking that the next manager will last anywhere near the time that Ferguson has. I'd be very surprised if the next guy gets near 5 seasons in charge.

I think its going to be a case of Fergie's shadow causing unfair pressure on the next few managers and that lack patience with managers by the fans then the board (cos of the fans) will cause instability and they'll suffer because of it.

Most managers nowadays struggle to maintain 100% control of first team affairs and Ferguson is the highest profile manager that gets minimal boardroom interference. I dont think the next guy will get that no matter what they say to the press.

Mourinho ticks every box for what the next Man United manager needs to be. How he handled Chelsea in season 1 & 2 is what they want. He's the only manager that I'd leave alone to handle first team affairs if I owned a club because he's a proven track record of knowing exactly what to do with that responsibility. When people interfered with his job, he and his team began to suffer.

I agree with the first paragraph totally. I also agree that Mourinho ticks every box . I dont agree that he is the only candidate in world football that would fit the bill. Wenger ticks every box too, his age would not be an issue for the very reasons stated in your first paragraph.

There are other managers who are getting on a bit who could be used in a transition period. The pressure will be immense on his successor it may not be wise to get any of the young hopefuls to succeed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

david moyes could be in with a good shout

he didnt get the man utd assistance job because he was too similar to saf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

How do you know the next manager wont last? What happens if they come in like Guardiola at Barca and win the league in their first season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Liam O wrote: »
    How do you know the next manager wont last? What happens if they come in like Guardiola at Barca and win the league in their first season. Benitez has been living off his CL win since after his first season.
    Emm no he has'nt. He's the manager of Liverpool because he has brought the club closer to the league title in each of his season's in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Liam O wrote: »
    How do you know the next manager wont last? What happens if they come in like Guardiola at Barca and win the league in their first season. Benitez has been living off his CL win since after his first season.

Grow up would ya. He says something that you for whatever take umbrage with, and then lash out with that puny girly dig at Benitez. What's that about?
    As a Liverpool fan was it meant to offend me?

I've seen Wenger mentioned once or twice now, surely tongue in cheek?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

United are the most successful club because

manutd 18 premierleagues

liverpool 0 premierleagues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

el dude wrote: »
    Grow up would ya. He says something that you for whatever take umbrage with, and then lash out with that puny girly dig at Benitez. What's that about?
    As a Liverpool fan was it meant to offend me?

I've seen Wenger mentioned once or twice now, surely tongue in cheek?
    do you honestly think that if Benitez hadn't have won the CL in his first season he'd still be manager? I don't want this to get into a petty argument so I guess I'll edit my OP, not that it'll do much good now that it's been quoted twice...

662814-simpsons_homer_eating_popcorn_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

manutd 18 premierleagues

Fail.

United have won 11 Preimer Leagues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

he may have got man u's wrong but theres no chance of gettin liverpools wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Get Big Ron Atkinson back just for his hilarious quotes.....in all seriousness, Mourinho or Wenger.

You seriously think Wenger could end up at United?

Yes he is but it's a different type of arrogance, Mourinho thinks that he's the best, whereas Fergie thinks his team are the best, which going by the Premier League table at the end of last season is the truth(well in Britain anyway:p).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

mink_man wrote: »
    he may have got man u's wrong but theres no chance of gettin liverpools wrong!

Not trying to be a pr!ck but add a 'td' or 'nited' to that next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Did anyone seriously think Michael Owen would??

He is a lot older than I thought tho....60! Jebus

The thread title is not specifically who will be the next united manager. I took it as a discussionas to who we would like to see manage United after Fergie. It is highly unlikely that Wenger would end up there but not impossible.

have to say iv massive respect for wenger

love his philosophy on the beautiful game and has showed such loyalty to Arsenal,you dont see that much these days

Wenger will retire at arsenal imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Steve Bruce

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

manutd 18 premierleagues

????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The Muppet wrote: »
    I agree with the first paragraph totally. I also agree that Mourinho ticks every box . I dont agree that he is the only candidate in world football that would fit the bill. Wenger ticks every box too, his age would not be an issue for the very reasons stated in your first paragraph.

There are other managers who are getting on a bit who could be used in a transition period. The pressure will be immense on his successor it may not be wise to get any of the young hopefuls to succeed him.

Do you think that Wenger would leave Arsenal for United? I dont think he could be bought given the amount of time he has spent at Arsenal trying to topple United. I dont think he'd leave Arsenal for United, a complete non runner.

No, I cannot think of any manager that ticks as many boxes as Mourinho, which is them all, and is willing to manage them.

I dont think Ancelotti would go directly from Chelsea to United either so he has to fail, move on then look to come back.

I dont think Manuel Pellegrini would go to England unless he's stint as Madrid manager backfires spectacularly.

All Guardiola had to do is sell some diva's and bring back the work ethic into Barcelona's dressing room. It was plain to everyone what he had to do and he did it. He had an impressive squad to begin with so I dont think he's proven himself as a world class manager yet. The above have been tested far more at their previous clubs

To restate, Mourinho is the only one that ticks all the boxes that would be possible for them to get.

manutd 18 premierleagues

I'm a Man Utd fan but I have to correct you here, Liverpool have 18 Championship wins when the Championship was the highest league.So they basically count for Premiership wins.
    It just makes it all the more sweeter when we win that 19th.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Mourinho for me, but I am amazed that only one person has mentioned Capello. If Fergie can get United's 19th title this season I can see him stepping down (or more accurately up into the boardroom). Capello could then be lined up to take over straight after next year's World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Kevin Keegan:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

manutd 18 premierleagues

What i think was meant is:

Man United 11 Premiership Titles
    Liverpool 0 Premiership Titles

Not that i condone it though, its borderline trolling :pac:

Do you think that Wenger would leave Arsenal for United? I dont think he could be bought given the amount of time he has spent at Arsenal trying to topple United. I dont think he'd leave Arsenal for United, a complete non runner.

I don't think he will leave Arsenal before his contract end's in 2011. He has constantly said he will honour his contract and he is an honouable man. Some section sof Arsenal supporters are very unhappy with the lack of silverware and lack of top quality signings. Last season they were openly questioning wheter they should change their manager. IF they were to win nothing this season and next thouse rumblings of discontent could well influence him not to renew his contract.

SAF has said he will stay for another couple of years so the timing could be perfect. Wenger out of contract,available for free as a bonus and an ideal replacment and a vacant managers seat at united.

Of course this is pure speculation and even if this were to pan out as above it is still highly unlikely that Wenger would go to united, sometimes we see unlikely moves in soccer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

curry-muff wrote: »
    What i think was meant is:

Man United 11 Premiership Titles
    Liverpool 0 Premiership Titles

Not that i condone it though, its borderline trolling :pac:

well we all prefer a factually correct troll :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

manutd 18 premierleagues

:pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Of course this is pure speculation and even if this were to pan out as above it is still highly unlikely that Wenger would go to united, sometimes we see unlikely moves in soccer.
    There is no chance of Wenger going to United - the Board (and even the owners) know this would not be accepted by the fans.

:confused: who's fans , United's I assume? Are these not the same fans that wouldn't have had Alan Smith, Michael Owen or the Galzer's at at the club? The fan's have zero influence over such matters.

:confused: who's fans , United's I assume? Are these not the same fans that wouldn't have had Alan Smith, Michael Owen or the Galzer's at at the club? The fan's have zero influence over such matters.
    Of course it's United fans I am talking about, and they have the ultimate influence - the owners fully understand that if they stop attending the matches the value of their investment will plummet. The managerial position is different from signing players (and Owen has nearly signed on a couple of occasions in the past with hardly a murmer from the fans - players recognising the errors of their ways and coming from the "arch rivals" to United are treated as heroes - the same was the case with Joe Jordan, Gordon McQueen and even to some extent Peter Barnes). Players are not in your face every week at press conferences, and Wenger has wound United fans up enough over the past decade or more to ensure he would never get the job - do you think Benitez, Dalglish or Keegan would ever have a chance of managing United (I certainly don't)?

Beasty wrote: »
    Of course it's United fans I am talking about, and they have the ultimate influence - the owners fully understand that if they stop attending the matches the value of their investment will plummet. The managerial position is different from signing players (and Owen has nearly signed on a couple of occasions in the past with hardly a murmer from the fans - players recognising the errors of their ways and coming from the "arch rivals" to United are treated as heroes - the same was the case with Joe Jordan, Gordon McQueen and even to some extent Peter Barnes). Players are not in your face every week at press conferences, and Wenger has wound United fans up enough over the past decade or more to ensure he would never get the job - do you think Benitez, Dalglish or Keegan would ever have a chance of managing United (I certainly don't)?

"Fans have the ultimate influence" You must be joking, where were you when Glazer took over, remember the protests that had zero effect on what happened? Is the owners position different too?

Many fans stopped going to matches then , many others gave up their season tickets too and what happened ? Other fans took their place and business continued as usual. None of those three are good enough to manage United so no they wouldn't have a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

fergie junior???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Someone from outside the UK. Perhaps a couple of seasons of Lippi......

"Fans have the ultimate influence" You must be joking, where were you when Glazer took over, remember the protests that had zero effect on what happened? Is the owners position different too?

Many fans stopped going to matches then , many others gave up their season tickets too and what happened ? Other fans took their place and business continued as usual. None of those three are good enough to manage United so no they wouldn't have a chance.

I was in Manchester when they took over, and so I think I have a reasonable feel of the fans position - I gave up MUTV, and other "discretionary" spending. I even stopped buying the programmes (and I have pretty much every one, home and away, since the Second World War), but kept my season ticket (the one I have had for over 25 years). The debt they saddled the club with was a massive risk, and they are still unable to refinance it properly. Only time will tell if it was a risk worth taking or not.

And yes, the owners position is different. As I said previously it is the manager that attends the press conferences, and is, in effect, the "face of the club" (certainly throughout the time I have been watching United), and, to be perfectly honest, Wenger's face does not fit this particular role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

It will be Maurinho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

If the decision had to made today, I would choose Mourinho. He would be a safe pair of hands, successful at the top with 3 big clubs. I have reservations about some aspects of his manner but he ticks more of the boxes than anybody else at the minute. A big character is a MUST to replace Sir Alex.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I was in Manchester when they took over, and so I think I have a reasonable feel of the fans position - I gave up MUTV, and other "discretionary" spending. I even stopped buying the programmes (and I have pretty much every one, home and away, since the Second World War), but kept my season ticket (the one I have had for over 25 years). The debt they saddled the club with was a massive risk, and they are still unable to refinance it properly. Only time will tell if it was a risk worth taking or not.

And yes, the owners position is different. As I said previously it is the manager that attends the press conferences, and is, in effect, the "face of the club" (certainly throughout the time I have been watching United), and, to be perfectly honest, Wenger's face does not fit this particular role.

Well lots much have changed because i know quite a few season ticket holders and they and i would have Wenger in the day after Fergie decides to call it a day.

The position of alot of fans has changed from the initial fear and dread to one of optimism which may be misplaced, however it all comes down to how the refinancing goes.

It will be odd to see what happens after he leaves, i have a feeling maybe a high profile assistant coach from next season on and then a transfer of the guard - maybe Ole...

I don't believe the fans would have a set position on who the next manager should be. Some will agree with who ever is appointed others will think its the wrong person for the job and the rest will sit on the fence and see how things pan out.

Personally I don't like Wenger because of the recent history between the clubs but there is no questioning his abilities to manage a football team at the highest level of the game and thats exactly what all United fans should want when the time comes to replace SAF.

Everyones entitled to express their opinion but when the new manager is announced, whoever it is the fans should give hime their full support, after all it's the club we support not the owners, board, manager or indivudul players working for it.

I'm a united fan since the early 70s and a member of the phoenix fund and Shareholders United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

this thread is about 2 years too early

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Can anyone rule out Solskjaer taking straight over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

yes

• Advertisement

I can

Advertisement