Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd Manager after Fergie?

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

curry-muff wrote: »
    Can anyone rule out Solskjaer taking straight over?

No

Unless that persons name is Glazer and that person is an owner of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

DM-ICE wrote: »
    No

Unless that persons name is Glazer and that person is an owner of the club.

so do you think it will be the glazers that will make the choice of who replaces saf?

redzerdrog wrote: »
    so do you think it will be the glazers that will make the choice of who replaces saf?

Maybe.

Depends on who is running the club when Sir Alex leaves.

what i ment is would the owner make that choice, or would it be the chief executive or could it even be sir alex that picks the new man with him moving upstairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

fergie and gill would decide im sure.

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote: »
    what i ment is would the owner make that choice, or would it be the chief executive or could it even be sir alex that picks the new man with him moving upstairs

Good question. Probably a combination.

Its so long since united changed manager it would be hard to say who will decide.

The Glazers seem to give the Chief Exceutive a lot of responsibility so I think its safe to assume the chief exec would play a big part. The chief exec would probably want SAF advice.

I don't know who will make the final call but if its the chief exec, going by american sports, the ceo's job is on the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

would like the next utd manager to have some experience bringing youngsters through

that's why I think Moyes would be perfect

Headshot wrote: »
    would like the next utd manager to have some experience bringing youngster through

that's why I think Moyes would be perfect

id hate to see moyes get the job

because I think he would be a success

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

will the next manager be given as long as fergie was to win the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Fergie has a bit left in him yet

• Advertisement

syngindub wrote: »

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

syngindub wrote: »

He won't need it, he will be inheriting a winning team.

As to who will make the final decision, I would imagine that would be the Board.

Phil Brown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

As long as it isn't Rafa "can't pick a team" Benitez, I'll be happy.

Edit: Oh God, don't forget Phil "Bluetooth" Brown.

As long as it isn't Rafa "can't pick a team" Benitez, I'll be happy.

I don't usually use this but :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Phil Brown.

Dear God, no! Phil Tufnall would do a better job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

roberto martinez is well thought of at Old Trafford my sources tell me.

soljskaer (sp) is a future Utd manager I think. but the best choice IMO would be Blanc. Proven in france with bordeaux doing well this season in the champions league too. knows the club from playing there and is very well respected.

how bout lippi after world cup or hiddink?? i know fergie may not retire by then but I reckon both would be great choices for Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Hiddink would be fantastic.

Having experience of European football at the top level is a must for me. While Blanc is a fine young manager, I'd like to see him prove himself on a regular basis, for several seasons before giving him the job.

Kirnsy wrote: »
    roberto martinez is well thought of at Old Trafford my sources tell me.

soljskaer (sp) is a future Utd manager I think. but the best choice IMO would be Blanc. Proven in france with bordeaux doing well this season in the champions league too. knows the club from playing there and is very well respected.

how bout lippi after world cup or hiddink?? i know fergie may not retire by then but I reckon both would be great choices for Utd.

Solksjaer has no experience to take over such a big role, Blanc more so, but not enough. Lippi would be an excellent short term choice, but as with Hiddink, they could never be long term replacements as they're only a few years Ferguson's juniors.

Martinez may be well liked, but he's not got the experience either. My personal choice would be Mourinho - I doubt it would be a popular choice, but he has calibre & age on his side. And he IS the Special One after all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hiddink or the "special one" himself would be the two i would pick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

If we don't go for one of the obvious big names I wouldn't be surprised to see Moyes get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Didn't read the whole thread, just the first 5 or so pages. But by then the obvious choice still got no mention.

Martin O'Neill?

The Muppet wrote: »
    If we don't go for one of the obvious big names I wouldn't be surprised to see Moyes get it.

Agh! I'd nearly prefer Phil Brown!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I can't imagine Man Utd without Ferguson. As much as I despise the man, I'll probably miss him when he's gone.

I actually think Benitez would be the ideal replacement.

realcam wrote: »
    Didn't read the whole thread, just the first 5 or so pages. But by then the obvious choice still got no mention.

Martin O'Neill?

:eek:

Hope not.

Have a look at the Villa thread and it'll take the gloss off O' Neill's reputation fairly quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd love it to be Wenger but I reckon it will be Mourinho. I like Mourinho as a character but I don't think he's a good fit for United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

flahavaj wrote: »
    :eek:

Hope not.

Have a look at the Villa thread and it'll take the gloss off O' Neill's reputation fairly quick.

Ha. No matter what thread you look at people are never happy with their manager. Strange phenomenon. I bet over on the Arsenal thread they're killing Wenger for not inducing enough stability or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Mourinho or Hiddink please.

kinaldo wrote: »
    I can't imagine Man Utd without Ferguson. As much as I despise the man, I'll probably miss him when he's gone.

I actually think Benitez would be the ideal replacement.

How can you despise Ferguson, be a Utd fan AND want Benitez as our next mananger????? I'm flabbergasted.

• Advertisement

realcam wrote: »
    Ha. No matter what thread you look at people are never happy with their manager. Strange phenomenon. I bet over on the Arsenal thread they're killing Wenger for not inducing enough stability or something.

I severely doubt it.

Either way, I really hope O' Neill isn't considered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Daysha wrote: »
    Mourinho or Hiddink please.
    These are the only two that could maybe keep United trucking along as challengers to everything.

But I hope you's are screwed when he leaves. I hate Fergie, but the mans a legend.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

CHD wrote: »
    These are the only two that could maybe keep United trucking along as challengers to everything.

But I hope you's are screwed when he leaves. I hate Fergie, but the mans a legend.

Reminds me of "I hate you, Ron Burgundy, but goddamnit do I respect you"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

If he goes in the next couple of seasons then I reckon Roberto Martinez and Laurent Blanc would be two good options.If he does a Fergie and stays on then who knows who'll be in management by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

No doubt in my mind it will be Mourinho

Earlier this year, Jose had this to say...

""If you want me to rule out ever being Manchester United manager I can't," he told the News of the World. "Special clubs need special managers so in theory it could work, but nobody knows what the future is in football.

"The England national team wanted me as coach and that is the biggest job in England, so I am sure when Sir Alex retires they will look at the best managers in the world and I certainly fall into the category."

He's not short on modesty for sure!

Though he did also say that his Inter team would beat United in the Champions League & we all know what happened there!

• Advertisement

Gotta love Mourinho, but if he takes that job and celebrates against us once he will need to hire someone to clean eggs of something he owns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Either Mourinho or Capello will do (in 2029 when Fergie retires and if the two aforementioned aren't retired/six feet under).

Gotta love Mourinho, but if he takes that job and celebrates against us once he will need to hire someone to clean eggs of something he owns.

You know well he'll celebrate against Chelsea. Its not in his nature to do anything but act the bollix. Not only that but theres probably a little lingering resentment at the way he left the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Steve Staunton after he wins the Premierleage with Darlington :P

Id say it will be someone who no one would ever expect, If Solskjaer was to continue a good long run with the reserves id say he would be asked by Fergie. Might sound mad but Fergie will be the one who brings in the next manager. No way will he let 20+ years of work go to someone who will make a mock of it all!

Maybe Mourinho??

flahavaj wrote: »
    You know well he'll celebrate against Chelsea. Its not in his nature to do anything but act the bollix. Not only that but theres probably a little lingering resentment at the way he left the club.
    Fans loved him and still do and didn't agree with how he went. If he ****ed them over it would be very scummy.

• Advertisement

Fans loved him and still do and didn't agree with how he went. If he ****ed them over it would be very scummy.

Guaranteed he'd do it. They wouldn't love him for long if he was winning title races against them bai.

I actually want him as United manager just to see the outrage now.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I'm pretty sure Lippi has always wanted to manage Man Utd and him and Fergie get on very well so I doubt he'd have a problem

If Solskjaer was to continue a good long run with the reserves id say he would be asked by Fergie. Might sound mad but Fergie will be the one who brings in the next manager. No way will he let 20+ years of work go to someone who will make a mock of it all!

?

20+ years of experience would tell you that he wouldn't hand over the reigns to someone with only reserve team experience. United aren't the FAI giving the job to Brian Kerr!

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Lippi has always wanted to manage Man Utd and him and Fergie get on very well so I doubt he'd have a problem

Lippi would be an excellent replacement for a few years, but what is he - 61/62? I'd much prefer someone younger & more of a long term prospect, otherwise we'll end up like Chelsea & their rotating managerial system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

I've got my fingers crossed it will be big Sam. Quality manager that fella.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I think it will be Maureen. I hope it isn't but I think it will be him.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Bruce would be a good option. He has done well at Wigan and is doing well with Sunderland currently. It would be good to see somebody who has been at the club and knows the club well.

Otherwise it could be Mourinho. He has what it takes. He can handle the pressure. He has an ego and sense of humour. He controversial and will speak out if he feels it is needed. Has been sucessful with all his teams. Granted he has always been at strong clubs in their respective leagues, Porto in Portugal, Chelsea in England, Inter in Italy, all clubs who are already strong but he maintains their strenght and does build on it and the players seem to like and respect him which is important (well the respect thing anyway). He has made some great signings at the clubs he has been at so money is spent well.

Bruce would be a good option. He has done well at Wigan and is doing well with Sunderland currently. It would be good to see somebody who has been at the club and knows the club well.

Otherwise it could be Mourinho. He has what it takes. He can handle the pressure. He has an ego and sense of humour. He controversial and will speak out if he feels it is needed. Has been sucessful with all his teams. Granted he has always been at strong clubs in their respective leagues, Porto in Portugal, Chelsea in England, Inter in Italy, all clubs who are already strong but he maintains their strenght and does build on it and the players seem to like and respect him which is important (well the respect thing anyway). He has made some great signings at the clubs he has been at so money is spent well.

Bruce COULD do well, but it's a big ask. Like you said, Mourinho ticks all the boxes & could hit the ground running. I don't think we could get any better, personally.

Would be great to see him back in the Premiership also - if not just for the Gift Grub skits alone! Mario would be well chuffed!!

Advertisement