Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter and Classic Pale Ale for Tesco?

• 20-08-2009 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

Just heard via twitter that both of these will be available in Tesco this week.I presume they meant the UK though, what are the odds that Tesco Ireland will stock them?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

If you start asking at customer server desk they might, the pale ale is available over here if a few decent off licenses

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

RonMexico wrote: »
    Jwhat are the odds that Tesco Ireland will stock them?
    About zero. In the UK people expect variety, and the supermarkets compete to provide that (at the same time as Flying Dog in Tesco there's BrewDog in Sainsbury's). But the Irish supermarket punter is happy enough with cans of Miller, Dutch Gold and Kopparberg, so there's very little incentive for the likes of Tesco to fill the shelves of expensive stuff that isn't even advertised anywhere:eek:

There is, however, a good selection of the Flying Dog range in the quality beer off licences at the moment, as Oblivious says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

BeerNut wrote: »
    But the Irish supermarket punter is happy enough with cans of Miller, Dutch Gold and Kopparberg

:D So true
    BeerNut wrote: »
    There is, however, a good selection of the Flying Dog range in the quality beer off licences at the moment, as Oblivious says.

I have seen the Flying Dog range in DrinkStore in Stoneybatter, Sweeneys in Glasnevin and Redmonds in Ranelagh recently. I'm particularly fond of their Flying Dog IPA...yum yum. The Hunter S. Thompson endorsement sold them to me in the first place...what a legend!

I saw some flying dog beers up in the Abbots Ale House last night. Wishing I bought some now :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Plenty of it in Abbots yea great stuff - grab it next time nialler.
    I was drinking Flying Dog Doggie Style on draught in In De Wildermann in the 'dam in january nom nom nom.

• Advertisement

DBCyc wrote: »
    The Hunter S. Thompson endorsement sold them to me in the first place...what a legend!

I think its was the gonzo arthist Ralph Steadman rather than Hunter S. Thompson

oblivious wrote: »
    I think its was the gonzo arthist Ralph Steadman rather than Hunter S. Thompson

yes indeed his artwork is on the labels, but i first noticed the thompson quote "good people drink good beer" and that sold it for me!

DBCyc wrote: »
    yes indeed his artwork is on the labels, but i first noticed the thompson quote "good people drink good beer" and that sold it for me!

Ah ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

The connection between Flying Dog and Hunter S. Thompson is stronger than that. Flying Dog is owned by George Stranahan who is a lifelong friend and neighbour of Hunter in Woody Creek Colorado. Hunter bought Owl Farm from Stranahan back in the 60s. He also according to Stranahan - "taught my kids how to smoke pot.":D The name Flying Dog came about when either Stranahan or his friend dropped some acid at Thompsons and started seeing flying dogs :pac: After Stranahan started up the brewery Hunter gave them a slogan - "Good people drink good beer!" along with another - "Good beer, no $hit!" The beer then came under restrictions over the slogan on the label due to the strict Colorado censorship laws and Thompson insisted that they fight the ruling to the bitter end. He hired some of the best lawyers in the country and in the end won. He also brought in Ralph Steadman to design the labels.

I am a Gonzo freak :D Here's my website (shameless plug) http://totallygonzo.org

I just heard from Flying Dog that the brew will be available in 300 stores across the U.K. - none for Ireland :mad:

Does anyone know if any Flying Dog is available in the Limerick area? I am mad to get my hands on some!!

I just heard from Flying Dog that the brew will be available in 300 stores across the U.K. - none for Ireland :mad:

Yea it is, Redmonds of Ranelagh is just one there are other have a number of their range

an I have a bottle of Gonzo porter at home :D

• Advertisement

I am not in Dublin though. Limerick area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭mayto

I am not in Dublin though. Limerick area.

If you cannot get locally, UK site beersofeurope.com may be worth looking at. Works out at about 2.60 euro a bottle delivered. Minimum order is 48 bottles(2 cases), but you can get a mix of beers of course, so many to choose from :D. The Odell St. Lupulin Extra Pale Ale is another cracking beer, low bitterness and nice floral/hoppy aroma.

The connection between Flying Dog and Hunter S. Thompson is stronger than that...

That's really interesting, cheers! I dont know Limerick at all but maybe you could find an off-licence that sells some premium/world beers and ask them to get some in for you?

RonMexico beersofeurope are worth looking into they have a very wide selection a one f the best shipping around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Does anyone know if any Flying Dog is available in the Limerick area? I am mad to get my hands on some!!

Macs on The Ennis Road would be your best bet.
    If they don't have it they would probably get it in if you ask.

Sweet I'll give Macs a shout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 1800 BEER ME

Ruth in Deveneys Dundrum has a good few from the range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Tesco in Letterkenny has a rubbish beer selection, can't see it going in there at all. In terms of ale, all they have is London Pride (which is grand i spose), and another Irish Ale called druids or something. The only good wheatbeer they have is edrdinger and paulaner (but only non-alcholic! :eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 1800 BEER ME

I know how important it is to support local independents, but Tesco is wooing me with some seriously great prices recently.

Brooklyn Lager - 6 pack - 10.99 - 1.83e per 330ml
    Sam Adam Lager - 6 pack - 9.99 - 1.67e per 330ml

The Brooklyn is even in the fridge section in Tesco Rathfarnham.
    Starpramen and Budvar have equally good deals, but they didn't burn into head like the ones above.

In Beer,
    KC

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Brooklyn Lager - 6 pack - 10.99 - 1.83e per 330ml
    They occasionally have it for €8.99. That's when I stock up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement