Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Questions...

• 20-08-2009 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Ok, firstly Im just going into first year, doing New Media and English...just wondering if anyone here is doing this course already, how many hours per week is it, do you like it, etc.

Secondly...Got my orientation pack today..does anyone know roughly how long the course meeting lasts, as my boyfriends debs is on the same day and I need to make hair appointments etc.,.. I live in Clare so Im hoping it wont be a HUGE rush...

Thirdly, Whats the deal with timetables? I know we register online and get them during the first week, but lectures also start during the first week, so how does that work? What if we miss a lecture because we register after it starts....

Any help/advice would be much appreciated, thanks guys! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

36Degrees wrote: »
    Ok, firstly Im just going into first year, doing New Media and English...just wondering if anyone here is doing this course already, how many hours per week is it, do you like it, etc.

Secondly...Got my orientation pack today..does anyone know roughly how long the course meeting lasts, as my boyfriends debs is on the same day and I need to make hair appointments etc.,.. I live in Clare so Im hoping it wont be a HUGE rush...

Thirdly, Whats the deal with timetables? I know we register online and get them during the first week, but lectures also start during the first week, so how does that work? What if we miss a lecture because we register after it starts....

Any help/advice would be much appreciated, thanks guys! :D

Hey, in English & History myself, second year! So I know about your english side of things! You should approx have the same hours as us, that is TWELVE!!

Two English Modules = Critical Practice One! & The Irish Literary Revival!

The Meetings normally only take up till 1/2 in the day! That's the main one with all the Main UL heads including the President in the Concert Hall (UCH) , and then you'll get your head of course to talk to your class/year!
    You sud get your ORNIENTATION pack soon and the times and all will be on that!

Timetables will be given to you by your course head, so defo go to that meeting! Once you have your ID Number you can get it on the UL website by going through to Currrent Students- and the Timetable!

The afternoon of the day is spent getting a guided tour around the campus and the Important REGISTERING!! Ie getting your Id Number and Card - VERY IMPORTANT
    However - ask your GUIDE (who will be a current UL student) can you get it done early cause you have to be some where and you should be sorted!!

The registering takes place in the main building! just to the left of the main doors, its called the ski slopes, and is in front of Brown Thomas (the statue)

Hope That Helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

I also got my pack today and have some questions:

1. I'm doing business and on the schedule in brackets after my course it says UCH Wed/02/Sep. I presume that's day one for me and I don't have to go in on the 1st?

2. I got a page about something called 'e-PUB.' Where is this completed and what does it involve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Risteard wrote: »
    I also got my pack today and have some questions:

1. I'm doing business and on the schedule in brackets after my course it says UCH Wed/02/Sep. I presume that's day one for me and I don't have to go in on the 1st?

2. I got a page about something called 'e-PUB.' Where is this completed and what does it involve?

1. You are correct Your Day one is Wednesday the 2nd so you can stay in your comfortable new bed (if you're moving to Limerick as opposed to from here) on the 1st.

2. e-Pub is completed online and can be taken at any stage. It is recommended that you do it before the end of Week 1 (11th Sep), as you will keep getting reminders until you do it.

It logs your ID number so that you don't get the message over and over. Your details are not passed on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Thanks. Luckily I already live hear so I just have to get out there for 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

36Degrees wrote: »

Hey,

I'm just finished New Media & Irish, which is basically the same course.

I normally had less than 20 hours a week as there is a lot of reading to do in the course. I don't know what the English modules are like, but the Media modules range from interesting and relevant to so unrelated you're wondering if you've wandered into the wrong room. I think the latter has been changed now though.

The media is less about the hands on stuff and more about the practical stuff. You'll do a bit of sociology (why do the audience think the way they do?) and a lot of technical writing. You'll either love or hate tech writing. I found I learned a lot from the tech writing modules including how to make a website, how to develop an e-learning course, how to make flash animations, etc. If you're not tech savvy though it can be hard.

I loved the course though and didn't regret doing it once!

• Advertisement
Advertisement