Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Swan Cinema Rathmines

Options
  • 20-08-2009 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

http://www.swancinemas.ie/home.html

so finally reopening a cinema there in november, is it in the same place as the stella, or on top of the shopping centre or something

3d digital whiizzbang but only 3 screens

not sure what took so long, there were looking years to build a big massive multiplex kept getting turned down for being too big, another group wanted to build an 8 screen place, maybe these boutique/digital cinemas have come into fashion now

OMNIPLEX, Irelands largest cinema group, is delighted to unveil plans for its new concept 3 screen, 571 seater ‘SWAN CINEMAS’ located in the Swan Shopping Centre, Rathmines, Dublin 6.

Construction has commenced on the project which is scheduled to open this November.

Swan Cinemas is the first cinema in Dublin custom designed for Digital cinema. Showcasing the very latest 3D technology will give patrons an unparalleled movie going experience; Swan Cinemas is at the very forefront of the digital cinema revolution.

Programming policy will cater largely for mainstream movies however, digital facilities will allow for a more diverse and varied programming schedule considering the population mix within the Rathmines and wider Dublin 6 area.

Commenting on the €3,000,000 investment, Paul Anderson (Omniplex / Swan Cinemas, Managing Director) said, “Having pursued plans for a cinema in Rathmines for over 10 years we are delighted that, at last, the people of Rathmines and the wider communities of Dublin 6 will have a quality cinema on their doorstep”.

Rathmines has been without a cinema since the closure of the Stella over 5 years ago. The entire Dublin 6 region has been underserved by cinema since before the closure of the Classic Cinema in Harold’s Cross (originally named ‘The Kenilworth’) in August 2003. The state of the art Swan Cinemas will be an invaluable tool in revitalising the local area.

useful tools include

FILM: 2012 - STARRING: John Cusack -

FILM: A CHRISTMAS CAROL (3-D) - STARRING: Jim Carrey -

FILM: A SERIOUS MAN - DIRECTED BY: Joel & Ethan Cohen -

FILM: THE WOLF MAN - STARRING: Benicio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins -

FILM: TWILIGHT SAGA: NEW MOON - STARRING: Robert Pattinson -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Don't think its going to be where the stella is ... it says construction has begun IN the centre!

I'll pop down over the weekend and see if I can see anything going on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Is it just going to be all digital ? :confused: There's plenty of mention of digital projection on their site but no mention to 35mm films. Might explain why there's no vacancies for projectionists. They're hardly building a cinema in 3months ? Multiplexes are often built with very basic plans so they're easy(ier) to tear down if it fails. They always build them with very thing walls for some reason....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

Orlee wrote: »
    Don't think its going to be where the stella is ... it says construction has begun IN the centre!

I'll pop down over the weekend and see if I can see anything going on!

Let us know!

It would be great to have a cinema in Rathmines again. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

I'm in Rathmines all the time and have not seen any work on a cinema in the centre. Where they planning on having it?

My only guess is the second floor of the centre but I didnt think there would be any room for a cinema up there.

Anyone any idea?

I emailed them asking where they were putting it and got this reply
    [font=&quot]Hi Alan,[/font]

[font=&quot]Thanks for your query. The foyer will be located in an existing unit on first floor near Kylemore Café and the screens will be on a new floor currently being constructed.[/font]

[font=&quot]Regards,[/font]

[font=&quot]SWAN CINEMAS[/font]

[font=&quot]Swan Centre,[/font]
    [font=&quot]Rathmines,[/font]
    [font=&quot]Dublin 6,[/font]
    [font=&quot]Ireland.[/font]

• Advertisement

So it's not even built ? Jaysis...
    I was down there today and couldn't tell where it was going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    So it's not even built ? Jaysis...
    I was down there today and couldn't tell where it was going to be.

Could be in a porta-cabin out the back.

You never know

Was just in there and there's a crane up alright. When you look at the ceiling from inside you can also see scaffolding up.

This is gonna be fairly sweet for me :). Rathmines area needs a cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

i live and work in rathmines and never noticed any work going on!! prob be a good while before it opens though, they rarely ever get those dates right!

messrs wrote: »
    i live and work in rathmines and never noticed any work going on!! prob be a good while before it opens though, they rarely ever get those dates right!

Yep it looks as though it's just started. To build a whole new floor and then kit it out as a cinema is going to take longer than 3 months imo. I could be wrong though. They could have started it ages ago and I just never noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Excellent news! Looking forward to this now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

photo montages of the place ,badly photocopied ones, just big box behind the shops on top of the shopping centre

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Anybody got any idea what kind of staff they're looking for?!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Anybody got any idea what kind of staff they're looking for?!

Have a look at their site

http://www.swancinemas.ie/home.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

has a date been finalised for opening?!

They still saying end of November. It's flying up so they could be right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

tumbleweed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Opens tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

I'm going to Avatar 3D there tonight.

Cool, let us know.

I was told by staff that Cinema is up and running since 18/12/09.
    Foyer and corridors need a bit of finishing but theatres themselves are OK.

Film was listed for 9:00pm so got I there at 9:10 thinking there'd be trailers for 15 minutes as is normally the case, but when I got into the theatre, the film had already started 10 minutes! I was really disappointed in missing the start of this much anticipated movie. Don't know what to make of the movie itself. I was absolutely loving the story and the visuals up to about half-way through but then I went off it when the story took what I thought was a totally inplausible turn. After that I felt uneasy about the story but still the visuals are absolutely brilliant. As I was watching it I was thinking - this has to be the future now for film - 3D visuals are really impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Screen 2 will be open in January, screens 1 and 3 are already open. There's planning permission being sought for a 4th screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Went to Avatar in Screen 1 here yesterday. I was very impressed indeed and would highly recommend this cinema. Screen size is decent and sound was excellent. Seats are very comfortable and are well tiered. You can book seats on-line if you're a sad geek like me who likes to pick your exact seat.

www.swancinema.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Looking on the site to book tickets during the week, adult ticket is €12 - that's a bit steep isn't it? (Or is it?)

For a 3D show, that appears to be standard. If it isn't, thats a rip-off and I won't be visiting the place.

I was told by staff that Cinema is up and running since 18/12/09.
    Foyer and corridors need a bit of finishing but theatres themselves are OK.

Film was listed for 9:00pm so got I there at 9:10 thinking there'd be trailers for 15 minutes as is normally the case, but when I got into the theatre, the film had already started 10 minutes! I was really disappointed in missing the start of this much anticipated movie. Don't know what to make of the movie itself. I was absolutely loving the story and the visuals up to about half-way through but then I went off it when the story took what I thought was a totally inplausible turn. After that I felt uneasy about the story but still the visuals are absolutely brilliant. As I was watching it I was thinking - this has to be the future now for film - 3D visuals are really impressive.

You can't really trust that. It's a new cinema and there might not be an advertising deal done or they might not be showing trailers or something or the projectionist could be starting the film a few minutes early to get out the door for last bus whistle_1.gif
    Proxy wrote: »
    Looking on the site to book tickets during the week, adult ticket is €12 - that's a bit steep isn't it? (Or is it?)
    For a 3D show, that appears to be standard. If it isn't, thats a rip-off and I won't be visiting the place.

I'd say it's got something to do with all the "films" being projected in digital. I don't know the going rate for cinema tickets anymore but 12quid sounds off.

So much for competition eh?!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

I'd say it's got something to do with all the "films" being projected in digital. I don't know the going rate for cinema tickets anymore but 12quid sounds off.

So much for competition eh?!:rolleyes:

Looks like it's priced as follows:

Afternoon 3D Show: €9
    Evening 3D Show: €12
    Afternoon Standard Show: €7
    Evening Standard Show: €10

Compared to VUE (Liffey Valley):

Afternoon 3D Show: €10.45
    Evening 3D Show: €12.05
    Afternoon Standard Show: €7.95
    Evening Standard Show: €9.55

These prices all exclude booking fees when booking on-line. Swan charged me 50 cents to book an afternoon showing of Avatar (single ticket). Vue charged me €3.30 to book Avatar for two people.

Although I love the Vue cinema and will continue to go there, I do think that €27.40 for two people to see a 3D movie was steep. But I think the prices of the Swan seem quite comparable.

I'm not sure how it compares to other cinemas. I only ever go to Vue.

• Advertisement

Cinema is currently closed due to power failure. They had someone working on it at 4pm when I was in there and they hoped it'd be back up by 6pm. Number to ring is 1520 880 007.

Advertisement