Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lockerbie bomber released!...Dead 3 years later.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

ejmaztec wrote: »
    But the western allies preferred working with the Nazis after WW2, because the Soviets became Public Enemy No1. They should have released Hess, given that worse Nazis than he were in cahoots with the West, and free.

Well, my point is that is the former allies wanted to release someone like Hess, who was involved in some of the worlds worst atrocities, then there is a precedent for this type of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭schumacher

what are you like?

he was defo ordered to do this - imagine the consequences if he said "eh no..." Libya was at war with the UK and Britian at the time.
    He should have been freed years ago as a POW.

Also is It ok for Uk and Britian to slaughter arab/muslim civilans but it's not ok when an arab does it in reverse. We don't see many (the odd token jesture when a story gets out) US soliders in jail for crimes against civilians.
    What about those airmen in Afghanistan who bombed the wedding and killed many civilans last year?

Surely you are old enough to remember Regan and Thacher bombing Tripoli and killing many innocents. He struck back from his nation and if they treat him as a hero - that's fine with me.

+1. It seems that some countries think that they can bomb innocent civilians and call it war and get away with it. But when other countries do it it suddenly becomes a terroist attack. wtf?
    According to msn the man has arrived back in Libya to a heros welcome. Its no surprise really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,030 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

hmm what expediencies would be worth incurring the wrath of the Americans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

omega42 wrote: »
    I think everybody here would say that what he was involved in was atrocious and he deserved to pay for it. but shurly the measure of a society is thet compassion they can show to those that least deserve it.

How is depriving any human access to loved ones at the last moment of their lives a help to anybody

Just my 2 cents please dont flame me for my opinion

Good post, and hard to argue with those words.

Unlike most here, I don't dig in my heels on my side of a debate and refuse to listen to all others.

Probably the best retort in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

geuro wrote: »
    I normally feel that the west needs to show more understanding and compromise when dealing with countries like Libya where there are significant terrorist threats. But really, I can't believe this. To those who say he is not guilty, let there be another appeal. But the man is convicted of 270 murders, and is being let off the hook after only 8 because he has cancer! It's ridiculous.

he will be dead before the end of the appeal.

perhaps it was also so his family could spend time with him before he died? he would have been free in another 20+ years

Hes got a death sentence now, he wont be cured. that punishment enough? and what if he is innocent, what a great way to spend your last years of life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Dr Jim swire who lost his daughter in the terrible crime and other victims of Lockabie dont think that al megrahi commited the offence and was scape goated.

the un observer walked out during the trial has anyone bothered to read post 51 there is a lot more to it than just one person planing all of this.

it,s not long ago when people in the uk were convicted for crimes they did not commit as for the appeal that wont be going ahead as he signed away the rights to appeal once being granted early release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Dr Jim swire who lost his daughter in the terrible crime and other victims of Lockabie dont think that al megrahi commited the offence and was scape goated.

the un observer walked out during the trial has anyone bothered to read post 51 there is a lot more to it than just one person planing all of this.

it,s not long ago when people in the uk were convicted for crimes they did not commit as for the appeal that wont be going ahead as he signed away the rights to appeal once being granted early release.

Was just about to post the same myself. Sure the Guildfors Four pleaded guilty and there was plenty of evidence to prove they were behind the bombings :rolleyes:

Which would make me very sceptical of anything that comes out of the Brititish judiciery system

Was just about to post the same myself. Sure the Guildfors Four pleaded guilty and there was plenty of evidence to prove they were behind the bombings :rolleyes:

Which would make me very sceptical of anything that comes out of the Brititish judiciery system

perhaps a possible oscar for daniel day lewis in the future?

• Advertisement

perhaps a possible oscar for daniel day lewis in the future?

You're making reference to In the Name of the Father (a film I havent seen)

What's your point exactly?

"Im an innocent man!"

oh and it's a great movie, you should see it

"Im an innocent man!"

Looks like he was telling the truth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guilford_Four

Oh and you should read more its real good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

He's widely regarded as innocent, even by the families people who were killed

bit of a scape goat

This.

Lockerbie was a response by Iran (Iranian terrorists, maybe government) for the Americans shooting down an Iranian civilian airliner 6 months previously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Exports of Scotch Whisky to the US are going to be screwed. They'll be looking to BP for compensation.

How did you come to that conclusion ?
    He's widely regarded as innocent, even by the families people who were killed

bit of a scape goat

Are you taking the mickey or is this a serious post ?
    Good post, and hard to argue with those words.

Unlike most here, I don't dig in my heels on my side of a debate and refuse to listen to all others.

Probably the best retort in the thread.

A very fair response :)

Sky News seemed to neglect to mention on their "LIVE" broadcast of him boarding the plane, that he shook the hands of the people around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

I know they were, they (the Libyians) were supplying the I.R.A. with arm's shipments - prolonging the misery for the people of Northern Ireland.

perhaps but I'd counter that argument that without the armed struggle the nationalist/catholic side of North Ireland would not have the equality in society they have today.
    To believe what you just said, then you must also believe that the I.R.A. should also have been treated as POW's and not the terrorists they were?.

I thought they were to some degree - own clothes, their own prison wing. They themselves refer to their prisoners as POWS.

The difference here is this Libyian was acting on state orders not on the orders of a terroriest group.

Imagine some army sniper being ordered into Afghanistan to assassinate a local leader.
    How is this killing different from that of Lockbie (with the exception of the scale of it)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The big difference being that the Guildford four etc and the Lockerbie bomber were tried under different legal systems. The English legal system and the Scottish one are very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

It is entirely possible that he is innocent or perhaps was only a very lowly operative in the whole affair. There are some very plausible accounts from a retired CIA agent, Robert Baer, (see Bruce Wayne above), that show there is reasonable doubt over his conviction........
    Smaller text wouldn't go amiss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The big difference being that the Guildford four etc and the Lockerbie bomber were tried under different legal systems. The English legal system and the Scottish one are very different.

Quite, the Scottish legal system has the ability to do a 'not proven' verdict and they should have done this at least.

This whole episode calls inot question the Scottish legal system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I was on a ryanair flight over the irish sea at the same time the plane was blown out of the sky over Lockerbie and remember the day well .
    He should not have being released imo but we live in strange times as far as the law and International law is concerned .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Just seen it on SkyNews now..

Now let me get this straight, someone murders over 250 men, women and children.

Then because the murderer is dying of cancer (and fvck 'em tbh), a government feels it must take pity on him and send him home to die in comfort, and probably to a hero's welcome too!.

Fvck that sh*t.

if he is indeed guilty , i fully agree that he should rot in jail whether he has cancer or a flesh eating virus

if he is innocent , he should be released , the problem is , he hasnt been cleared so he is being released because hes terminally ill , many people are terminally ill yet were not convicted of mass murder

disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    How did you come to that conclusion ?

The Americans are so pissed off with this "Scottish" decision, there's bound to be some backlash against anything Scottish, whisky being the most well-known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The Americans are so pissed off with this "Scottish" decision, there's bound to be some backlash against anything Scottish, whisky being the most well-known.

I wonder if they will change the name from Scotch to "Liberty Whisky" :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

As expected, he returned home to a hero's welcome. Disgusting to see.
    I suspect Scotland will get some sort of backlash by Americans some way or other for his release. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but they won't forget.
    It wasn't the Scottish people's fault though. Their government just had a price and it was paid via oil contract deals sealed with news of his eventual release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Are you taking the mickey or is this a serious post ?

No, look into the trial and its fallout. Many believe that there were huge miscarriages of justice. Evidence was tampered with, political deals were made behind closed doors prior to the trial, and definitely influenced its outcome.

I'm not saying he had nothing to do with it, I'm sure he did. But he was a cog in the wheel of war at the time.

When the Americans shot down Iran Air Flight 655 they decorated the General that gave the order and the soldiers that carried it out with medals!

But hey, they were in uniform when they killed those innocent civilians, so it's not really murder is it?

I wonder if they will change the name from Scotch to "Liberty Whisky" :D

No, Liberty's reserved for "Scottish deep-fried, battered, gut-expanding, cholesterol bomb Mars Bars".

And then there's Scotch Freedom Pies.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I would feel very angry if it was a straight forward, one man, one bomb story. But I don't believe so. Where are his comrades? He wasn't working alone.

Plus, the CIA have been linked to the Lockerbie bomb. I was told that there were witnesses on board who could have put George W Bush (lovely guy) away for the rest of his life. All of a sudden a plane explodes and he's off the hook????

Anyone know anything about this?

Things aren't always black and white. Only if you just read the papers.

No, look into the trial and its fallout. Many believe that there were huge miscarriages of justice. Evidence was tampered with, political deals were made behind closed doors prior to the trial, and definitely influenced its outcome.

I'm not saying he had nothing to do with it, I'm sure he did. But he was a cog in the wheel of war at the time.

When the Americans shot down Iran Air Flight 655 they decorated the General that gave the order and the pilots that carried it out with medals!

But hey, they were in uniform when they killed those innocent civilians, so it's not really murder is it?

Thanks for the link.

Very easy to side with the Americans. They just don't seem dangerous, to us at least. But if you're an Iraqi, these gun-toting Yankie jocks armed to the teeth aren't as peace loving as they seem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭buckieburd

Biggins wrote: »
    As expected, he returned home to a hero's welcome. Disgusting to see.
    I suspect Scotland will get some sort of backlash by Americans some way or other for his release. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but they won't forget.
    It wasn't the Scottish people's fault though. Their government just had a price and it was paid via oil contract deals sealed with news of his eventual release.

I very much doubt there will be any kind of 'backlash' don't you think this is to the benefits of the yanks as well? They are just playing the outrage card to keep the public happy....

There is grave doubts about his conviction, the evidence was very circumstantial, and he was denied a second appeal, there is a lot more to this than meets the eye. The English and Yanks are more than happy to let the Scottish take the fall for this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/8211596.stm
    There were question marks too over Tony Gauci, a Maltese shopkeeper who was the only man to identify Megrahi.

His evidence was that the Libyan, who he picked out at an identity parade, had bought the clothes at his shop.

But his police statements are inconsistent, and prosecutors failed to tell the defence that shortly before he attended an identity parade, Mr Gauci had seen a magazine article showing a picture of Megrahi, and speculating he might have been involved.

Mr Gauci now lives in Australia, and according to defence claims is believed to have been paid several million dollars by the Americans for his evidence.

buckieburd wrote: »
    I very much doubt there will be any kind of 'backlash' don't you think this is to the benefits of the yanks as well? They are just playing the outrage card to keep the public happy.....

There's bound to be a backlash when Joe Public gets wound up.
    There is grave doubts about his conviction, the evidence was very circumstantial, and he was denied a second appeal, there is a lot more to this than meets the eye. The English and Yanks are more than happy to let the Scottish take the fall for this.

It seems that a lot of Americans commenting on the UK Times website are of the opinion that the British Government is the guilty party, and don't actually consider or realise that Scotland has its own Government and legal system.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭buckieburd

There's bound to be a backlash when Joe Public gets wound up.

It seems that a lot of Americans commenting on the UK Times website are of the opinion that the British Government is the guilty party, and don't actually consider or realise that Scotland has its own Government and legal system.

When I said the Yanks and English I meant their governments..

And the American people would want to look in before looking out when judging others!!!

the trial was held in holland, did they do it completely by scottish rules?

To be honest I wouldn't make fleeting statements like that. The US media sets the agenda and specifically the New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/22/world/europe/22lockerbie.html?_r=1&hp

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

It would have been brilliant if they had of freed him and left a bomb on his plane.

To be honest I wouldn't make fleeting statements like that. The US media sets the agenda and specifically the New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/22/world/europe/22lockerbie.html?_r=1&hp

I would, and I did, although I wouldn't refer to it as fleeting. We'll see what develops.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

What was he found guilty of? Was it that they found a part of the radio used to disguise the bomb, traced it to a shop and the owner identified Megrahi as the purchaser? Is that all? :eek:

That's as unsafe a conviction as you can get..particularly to be deemed "The Lockerbie Bomber"..

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    What was he found guilty of? Was it that they found a part of the radio used to disguise the bomb, traced it to a shop and the owner identified Megrahi as the purchaser? Is that all? :eek:

That's as unsafe a conviction as you can get..particularly to be deemed "The Lockerbie Bomber"..

Yep, have a read at this (from todays Glasgow Herald)

http://img44.imageshack.us/i/p1010024y.jpg/

http://img297.imageshack.us/i/p1010026y.jpg/

Glasgow Herald's usually a bit of a rag imo but good article.

"I am absolutely convinced that if the evidence had come out in front of a Scottish jury of 15 there is abolustely no way he would have been convicted."

Why do you say it is usually a bit of a rag?

I take that back. Got it mixed up with a different wan :o - Evening Times is the tabloid one I was thinking of.

They come from the same stable but the Herald is one of the premier newspapers in Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

Am watching the news and am amazed at the hero's welcome your man received.

What is the real story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

the trial was held in holland, did they do it completely by scottish rules?
    Yes, the airbase was formally ceded and legally became part of Scotland for the duration of the trial.

I can't remeber 100% but I'm pretty sure that the case was heard by a panel of judges and not a jury which is not the norm in Scotland either

delos wrote: »
    I can't remeber 100% but I'm pretty sure that the case was heard by a panel of judges and not a jury which is not the norm in Scotland either

Correct

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_103_bombing_trial#Judges

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Cheers. A sham conviction..

A dodgy identification at that..he should be free and the judges/lawyers involved should be jailed for 27 years in a Libyan prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

Under Scottish law, which is different from English Law, any prisoner is entitled to early release under compassionate grounds. I'd say being dead in 3 months is ground for compassion. The Scottish parliament had to go to the UK parliament to sanction this but they get the blame whilst Gordon Brown goes silent.
    The head of the FBI seems to think that Scotland is under American Law by his comments. Hell, half the American's don't even know where Scotland is. Maybe the Scottish Government should have sanctioned waterboarding? Instead they chose compassion.
    Everyone seems to forget that this landed on Lockerbie...............in Scotland.
    Us Scots haven't but we know that compassion is a better weapon than aggression. What would have been gained by letting him die another three months from now in Jail? The criticism coming from the USA is a joke given their record of shady dealings. Reminds me of the pot turning to the kettle.............................
    As for our Irish cousins posting here. Well let their consciences decide what stance to take.

I very much doubt there will be any kind of 'backlash' don't you think this is to the benefits of the yanks as well? They are just playing the outrage card to keep the public happy....

Looks like a backlash:P:P:P

The upside is that Irish tourism might improve, not to mention Irish Whiskey exports.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/6077852/US-urged-to-boycott-Scottish-products-after-Lockerbie-bombers-release.html

US urged to boycott Scottish products after Lockerbie bomber's release

American efforts to mount a boycott of British goods and services are gathering pace over the controversial decision to repatriate Lockerbie bomber, Abdelbaset Ali Al Megrahi.

By Roland Gribben
    Published: 9:42PM BST 23 Aug 2009

US citizens are being urged to stop buying items ranging from Scotch whisky to kilts and petrol sold at BP-owned outlets as well as to cancel planned holidays in Britain to register their protest.
    Websites are being used by protest groups to whip up support for the boycott, and drinkers are being urged to switch to US, Canadian or Irish whiskeys and switch their holidays to Ireland.

British companies with considerable US business are taking a relaxed view about the likely effect on their business, while appreciating the strength of feeling behind the protests.

The Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) – with £370m worth of export business to the US annually – has been closely monitoring the developments, but feels any action or impact on sales is likely to be short-lived.
    However, in some quarters it is felt that the boycott could have a longer life, particularly if British companies benefit from increased trade with Libya.
    Campbell Evans, SWA director, said: "We have been faced with other boycotts in the past and found they haven't lasted. We appreciate what lies behind this action. In the heat of the moment it is understandable."
    Scotch is the most visible and high-profile element in Scotland's near £3bn a year of exports to the US but tourism is an important contribution to the economy. US tourists are estimated to account for around 14pc of foreign visitors to Scotland and are regarded as the biggest contributors to a £1bn-a-year business.
    Diageo, the world's biggest drinks company with 40pc of its operating profits generated in the US, is monitoring developments and so far has not seen any fall off in business. Johnnie Walker is its biggest whisky brand, but rum and tequila brands are more important to it in the market.
    The websites make no distinction between the role of the Scottish or British governments in the repatriation decision. "Don't travel to Scotland or do business there (or in the UK in general) and don't buy any British or Scottish products," www.boycottscotland.com tells US citizens.
    BP, with its extensive businesses in the US, is singled out by the site because of the highly favourable Libyan oil deal that resulted from an earlier initiative by Tony Blair with Colonel Gaddafi, the Libyan leader. A huge exploration and appraisal programme involving investment of more than £500m has given BP rights to drill for oil and gas in areas as big as Kuwait and Belgium.
    The programme is still in its early stages but represents one of BP's most important strategic investments in a country with the most extensive oil reserves in Africa. BAE Systems, the defence giant, is heavily dependant on the US for a growing slice of its business but does not expect to be affected by the boycott.

• Advertisement
Advertisement