Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lockerbie bomber released!...Dead 3 years later.

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Thing is, when you kidnap 15 year old illiterate goat herders and detain them without trial for 4-5 years, torture people, run secret prisons, and either fail to prosecute or pardon your own 'war criminals', you sort of lose the moral high ground....The "outrage" is rather sickening, tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

In ther last day or two a particular thought has been running around in the back of my mind.

Apparently the latest appeal of the "bomber" was to produce new evidence that was going to further show his innocence.
    IF this was the case and there was anything substantial in such evidence - and IF it would be subsequently shown up just how bad and/or lying/devious the legal authorities were in perusing this case - they (the British establishment) might have realised this quick smart and equally quickly taken the "lesser of two evils" route and opted for the "lets get rid of him instead" route.

The so called "Bomber" however still might have the last laugh still however.
    Word on the wire is that the bomber is still going ahead with his story in book form and in that book he will detail his new evidence exactly.

The British government might be currently glad to a certain extent of the media focus on the release of him - rather than the media currently looking at the evidence he was going to produce in court with his appeal!

The current raging over his release might be a convenient (media) distraction away from what they really didn't want to let get out and produced.
    Think about it - if the mans appeal had been successful based on new evidence and he subsequently walked free - inquiries alone both sides of the water would have been demanded into what the hell went on with the investigation, who was responsible, who was directing the direction of the investigations, who had access to the evidence, who decided where that evidence would lead, was there political motivations as to why some trails of evidence was ignored, etc...

There is more going on here that just a simple release of one man - thats for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Nodin wrote: »
    and either fail to prosecute or pardon your own 'war criminals',

For example, the only guy convicted of the My Lai massacre, recently "apologized" for it. The guy spent only 3 years under house arrest :eek:. You really can't make this stuff up, the US really doesn't have a leg to stand on between the My Lai guy being let of so easy and the guy who shot down the Iranian air liner getting a medal and not spending a single day in jail. The old saying of those in glass houses ought to not throw stones comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

wes wrote: »
    For example, the only guy convicted of the My Lai massacre, recently "apologized" for it. The guy spent only 3 years under house arrest :eek:. You really can't make this stuff up, the US really doesn't have a leg to stand on between the My Lai guy being let of so easy and the guy who shot down the Iranian air liner getting a medal and not spending a single day in jail. The old saying of those in glass houses ought to not throw stones comes to mind.

So what ? Jail the men in suits who gave him the gun and sent him out there to murder them people. My Lai isn't a fair comparison.

This fella was let out early on compassionate grounds as was Ronnie Briggs. Easy to see which is still in the headlines! Also, the "backlash" is being directed towards the SNP and Alex Salmond and "his" minister. Nice timing for the indepdence referendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

The so called "Bomber" however still might have the last laugh still however.
    Word on the wire is that the bomber is still going ahead with his story in book form and in that book he will detail his new evidence exactly.

Indeed...

"Al-Megrahi is writing a tell-all autobiography to “proclaim his innocence” by disclosing new information behind Britain’s deadliest terrorist attack, The Times has learnt. Abdurrhman Swessi, Colonel Gaddafi’s official envoy to Scotland, said that the freed bomber was working on a book that would detail his life behind bars and reveal everything he knows about the 1988 Pam Am 103 bombing.

Lawyers had collected masses of evidence for an appeal against the conviction of al-Megrahi, which he dropped last week in order to qualify for release on compassionate grounds."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article6807289.ece

I shall certainly be buying a copy.
    I won't take everything it says for granted without appropriate good evidence to back his/their version of events up but it will provide an insight into another side of the goings on.

By the way on C4 news tonight, they mentioned that 50 Billion worth of contracts alone are up for grabs in the next 3 years alone.
    Guess who is leading the charge for getting them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Typical American hypocrisy makes you laugh really. I was living in the US during the whole 9/11 period and remember well the whole anti-French backlash. Kids in a playground kind of stuff, you wouldn't believe the amount of ****e that was all over the papers and the news I literally couldn't believe half of it.

also, Fred defending the shooting down of Iran Air 655?. I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Biggins wrote: »
    I shall certainly be buying a copy.
    I won't take everything it says for granted without appropriate good evidence to back his/their version of events up but it will provide an insight into another side of the goings on.

By the way on C4 news tonight, they mentioned that 50 Billion worth of contracts alone are up for grabs in the next 3 years alone.
    Guess who is leading the charge for getting them?

Ireland?

No wait, did we send anyone to Libya on Paddys Day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    So what ? Jail the men in suits who gave him the gun and sent him out there to murder them people. My Lai isn't a fair comparison.

Sure, they should be tossed in jail too, but I find it unlikely that they micro managed the war to such a degree, that they ordered the My Lai masscre, the guy involved made a choice and his choice was to kill innocent people.

The My Lai comparison is plenty fair btw, if Megrabi is guilty, he was probably told to carry out the bombing by a bunch of higher ups.

So in both cases we have suits, who should be in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

The Yanks want to ban Scottish products?? lol

Didn't they show similar animosity toward the French after 911.
    Freedom fries was a euphemism for French fries used by some conservatives in the United States as a result of anti-French sentiment in the United States during the international debate over the decision to launch the 2003 invasion of Iraq. France had expressed strong opposition in the United Nations to such an invasion.

from wiki

4rud5s.jpg:D:D

So utterly, utterly childish. Whooo Hoo, go USA, USA, USA, blah blah blah. .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

He died today. The world is now a much safer place!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18137896

He died today. The world is now a much safer place!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18137896

Cheers for the update.
    I wonder will we ever know more of the truth behind this whole mess!
    I'd say not sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A miscarraige of justice victim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Thread title - 2 years and 9 months is not the same as 3 years!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Secret agents blowing up civilians you say?

Outrageous sez Britain, ignoring the laws of karma..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_and_Monaghan_bombings

Advertisement