Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

portfolio advice for costume design??!!!!

Options
  • 20-08-2009 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

hi all! :)

i have an interview for a costume design and make up course in inchicore college in 2 weeks and i was hoping i could get some ideas for what i should include in my portfolio.

i already have a portfolio from a portfolio course i did the year before last but its a very broad portfolio as i was not sure what i wanted to do at the time and i applied for a lot of different courses.

the majority in it is drawing and pastel work and some painting.
    i have life drawing, still life and alot of detailed drawing but i dont have anything that is related to costume or fashion.

i did a short dressmaking course and i made a dress but i know that its not reccommended to include actual clothing, so how would i go about showing them that i did that course and have some experience in that area???? :confused:

i would really appreciate any advice or suggestions anyone has and thanks a mill for reading! :)
    also sorry this is so long!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 arlone

Get someone to take a photograph of you in the dress you made, have the photo taken from different angles, stick them on black card + attach a swatch of the fabric to the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Anouck

Yes, do take some pictures of the dress you made. If you can accessorize it, it would be better.
    If you have time, do some other little pieces, and some mood boards.
    where did you go to for the dressmaking course ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭1071823928

ok cool thanks i will, i went to the grafton academy of dress design. it was just a 10 week course, where you learnt how to put together a dress from a pattern. i didnt get a certificate or anything from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Anouck

hope it helps.
    I was thinking of going to the grafton academy to improve my skills. I am already trained but I need to be more confident. does it worth it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭1071823928

yeh i thought it was great, definately worth the money. i didnt know how to sew or use a machine and i learnt it all there. the classes are pretty small and everyone is at different stages so its all individual teaching which i thought was great!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭stitchlily

You need to show you have an interest in design, not just how to make a dress but what it's all about. The theme, the ideas, the mood...Make up some mood boards, with themes on anything colours, historical periods, your favourite play/tv show/movie. (Here's wiki definition of a mood-board, and here is some samples)

Start a notebook, with sketches, bits of fabric you like, colours you like, (a visual diary). I think I got into the course I did, because I had a good visual diary, my portfolio was all over the place.

Hope this helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sarahmack94

hi am just wondering how you got on with your portfolio and interview
    i really really really want to get into that course in inchicore and my art teacher isnt the best help ! lol
    any advice portfolio wise ? need motivation to make a start on this portfolio :) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

hi am just wondering how you got on with your portfolio and interview
    i really really really want to get into that course in inchicore and my art teacher isnt the best help ! lol
    any advice portfolio wise ? need motivation to make a start on this portfolio :) thanks

Hi Sarahmack,

Have a look here, rather than digging up a very old thread. :)http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055357937

Chorcai

Advertisement