Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom - Can I or can't I...

Options
  • 20-08-2009 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭

...keep my existing phone number?

Even Smart Telecom dont seem too sure...

Has anyone moved to ST and kept their number?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭crol

homer911 wrote: »
    ...keep my existing phone number?

yes you can. also their own support forums are here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Even on their support forums there is contradictory information, and there is nothing on the FAQ's any more, and the sales staff dont seem sure...

Have you actually done it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Yes, this has been possible for a couple of years now - my brother was able to keep his existing number when he changed over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

As others say, there seems to be conflicting information about it. When I signed up, I couldn't keep my number, even though it stated that I could. The sign up process forced me to check the box that allowed for a new number, and wouldn't let me continue without it.

Don't know what the situation is now, but I've seen a few posts on Smart's forum from people who say they couldn't keep their old number, even though they're supposed to be able to.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There is absolutely no excuse for Smart not being able to give potential customers a clear answer to this very important question - whether it be over the phone, on their website or through their forums.

What a farce!! How can anyone have faith in a company that cannot get their act together to answer such a basic question?:rolleyes::mad:

(And I am a happy Smart customer)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rather_b_diving

There could be porting issues if your number is not with eircom i.e you have a phone service through UPC etc.

but as others have said the GLUMP (Geo number porting and LLU process) has been in existence since October 2006 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 stephenc_ie

I think most of those issues are sorted now.

I know that smart have ported numbers from most operators at this stage.
    Definitely from eircom - I know several people who kept their eircom number when they moved to smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Thread here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61849649

They have been in trouble since the time eircom disconnected all their non-LLU customers due not paying the bill. Over €50M in debt. They had hoped to get bought up in the last year, but the credit conditions made it unlikely.

Advertisement