Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"riding" for young kids

Options
  • 20-08-2009 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi,

My DD is 3, and wild about horses. Some time ago (and far away from where we live), she got to go on a tiny pony at an equestrian centre.
    She had a hat on, and my husband held her on as the pony was led around.

She was absolutely beside herself with excitment.

We used to be able to just go to 'see' horses, now... she wants to get back up there!
    I know she's way too young to learn to ride, but I'd like to be able to let her have another go (as before) as a very special treat.

Does anyone know of anywhere that would offer this?
    I live in North Wicklow.

Thanks

PS - if you're a bit scared (ok quite a lot) of horses, as an adult, would riding lessons help? I just seem get freaked out horses (I'm freaking them out am'nt I:rolleyes:).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭marlie2005

HI,

Years ago when I worked in riding schools there was no problem letting young kids up for a little walk around, obviously with a correct handler, a hat and a parent to hold on to them.. I don't know about now but I can imagine that riding schools wouldn't have much of a problem doing much the same now.
    Maybe if you call up when pony lessons are already on they might let your child hop aboard for a few minutes. Just get talking to the right person and don't be afraid to ask..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I don't think she is too young tbh. She wouldn't be able to do much at her age but I know one or two three years old learning to ride.

Nearly all riding schools let you walk around. I would be very surprised if they didn't.

As for the lesson, it depends on the person. They would help most but be no help to others. Don't worry, there is honestly not much to fear from horses. Especially riding school horses. They can be unpredictable but as long as your on your guard and don't walk to close behind them. You get to know them eventually and your confidence grows the longer you are around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

I'm familiar with 6 schools and all of them will let a young sibling of a child taking lessons to sit in a horse for a few minutes but only when an instructor is present and the child wearing a hat. Ring a school and ask if you can call in, they might pop your girl up while the ponys are tacked up. Some start lessons at 4 years of age, some at 6 and some at 8.

One of our children started at a school where the child and pony are led through fields and they gradually progress from walking to trot. Parents usually lead their child. I thought it was a great way for a child to relax, find their seat and added a bit of variety from going around an arena. This place is in N Kildare.

Our other child started in another school with in an indoor arena. In both cases we led our child during the lesson so this might help you get some confidence and it wont be any problem to you. Spending time around horses will relax you.

I started to ride as 30+ adult and if you can get over the first few lessons where the only problem will be aches and pains from using unfamiliar muscles you can relax and enjoy. Any decent instructor will match a rider's ability, size and attitude with a suitable horse and will also have that 'bomb proof' horse given to all new learners. Try it once, you wont be put up on Red Rum .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Three is a bit young, most places may not have the insurance or a hat that would fit properly. If they allow for a sit and to be led around they may not be AIRE approved.

Insurance for RS go up each year even if they have not made a claim. There are a lot of places where students (who are old enough to ride) aren't allowed to go bare back or do any work without stirrups as it is deemed too much of an insurance risk.

http://www.aire.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Three is a bit young, most places may not have the insurance or a hat that would fit properly. If they allow for a sit and to be led around they may not be AIRE approved.

Insurance for RS go up each year even if they have not made a claim. There are a lot of places where students (who are old enough to ride) aren't allowed to go bare back or do any work without stirrups as it is deemed too much of an insurance risk.

http://www.aire.ie/

Just out of interest what is the insurance like for a riding school?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Waternews

Thanks a lot for the replies.

Any places I've contacted in Wicklow said no straight out. And TBH the thought of just turning up fills me with dread/fear.
    But I'll perservere!

At least I know it is possible :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭MelonieHead

Well, I started at 4, but that would have been over 20 years ago so things may be more strict nowadays.

Good luck with the search.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I know at the stables I ride children are accepted from 4 and up. But if you came over to talk to them about it first they wouldn't have a problem with a little walk around the arena, as long as they are there and theres a hat on the kid.

As for yourself, if your child does start riding you could just stand with them. If they are using the pony for a childs lesson then they must be very placid. After a little while you'll feel completly at ease with them.

Advertisement