Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of bills in a 1 bed apartment?

Options
  • 20-08-2009 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Hi all, not sure if this is the right section but here goes.

I'm thinking of moving into a 1 bed apartment in Rathfarnham. The rent is 900 euro per month and it would only be me living there. Could anyone who has ever been in this position give me a ballpark figure of what sort of money would I be looking at for bills? Any rough estimates on what I can expect to be paying for ESB, Central Heating, TV, etc.?

I would be out of the house for most of the day, everything turned off if that makes a difference?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

ESB should be only €40-€50 every 2 months make sure everything is turned off when ur not using it. Dont bother with a T.V licence.Never turn on the heat only if u really really need 2 and just the channels tapped in BINGO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

The BIG BIG queastions are:

What type of heating?

If ESB storage, what type of timers to you have?

What type of heating in the bedroom?

Electric shower or shower from a hot water cylinder (power shower).

Handy site is the ESB appliance checker:
    https://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential/energy_efficiency/appliance_calc/appliance_calculator.jsp

From my experience the biggest cost is heating & heating water. If you have an electric shower this massively reduces cost.

carly_86 wrote: »
    ESB should be only €40-€50 every 2 months make sure everything is turned off when ur not using it. Dont bother with a T.V licence.Never turn on the heat only if u really really need 2 and just the channels tapped in BINGO

What type of miserable existance is that? One thing my great-grandand always said was no matter what never be cold and never be hungry. My parents lived by this & I was a happy kid. Didn't have summer holidays and the latest games but was warm and well fed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

The BIG BIG queastions are:

What type of heating?

If ESB storage, what type of timers to you have?

What type of heating in the bedroom?

Electric shower or shower from a hot water cylinder (power shower).

Not sure what type of heating or power shower but I will find out. I have one of the small plug in radiators and was thinking that might go in the bedroom? Like I said I will only be there evenings and night so what kind of money would the heating bill be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

What type of miserable existance is that? One thing my great-grandand always said was no matter what never be cold and never be hungry. My parents lived by this & I was a happy kid. Didn't have summer holidays and the latest games but was warm and well fed.

What i ment was dont have the heat on when its warm outside

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

If you have a cooker only use the top oven or the grill..dont leave lights and heating on when you're not in and dont leave a woman alone in the house..they have a tendency to turn on every appliance there is and leave it on.

From personal experience:

Electric heaters are expensive to run. I had wall mounted convection heaters in my bedroom which were crap & cost a fortune. I bought an electric blanket that would be left on all night which cost about 14c to run for 10 hours (based on the wattage plugged into ESB calculator). I was warm and toasty and never ended up with colds even if the room itself was not warm.

We had a 210L water tank for the power shower with a crappy night-saver ESB installed timer. There was no bath/sink option. After the first ESB Bill for 2 month hitting the €400 mark me & the flat mate decided enough was enough & he used the power shower in my en-suite. The tank was only used when guests were over. The first 2 months the tank was heated each night costing €151 for the 2 months!!! Crazy stuff. Ask the landlord about the tank capacity & timer type and if there is a bath/sink option.

Storage heating isn’t that great – I would never never never never live in a place with it again. The idea is that it takes in heat over night & releases it during the day. The heaters normally also have a booster switch that cost a mint. The main issue is this: it is October, weather not great. All heaters switched on. Wake up in the morning to some lovely winter sunshine – flat like a furnace. Open all windows, heat which has been paid for escapes. Get home from work and place is cold as bulk of heat was released in the morning. Heater won’t come on again till about 11pm – so on with the booster. At least with Gas you can have the rads on when they are needed.

Don’t worry about little stuff like cooking and washing. It is as cheap to run the dishwasher as it is to boil a kettle! Do however, limit your use of a tumble dryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I'd personally love to strangle and mutilate whoever the fúck came up with EVER using electric heaters. Biggest waste of money ever. End of story.

As well as that 900 seems a bit ott for rent in current climate for a one bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

My own experience- esb with electrical emersion, using the dryer only 2 times a month, flat screen tv, computer always on, use fan oven and clothes washer goin 3-4times a week, and the same with dishwasher. Is 90euro for 2months. Heating is approx 40euro every two months in winter. Only really need it nov-feb. Bins i think are 300 for the year. Internet and tv is 75 a month, (can get cheaper i chose 20meg bb). 900 seems steep enough too for rent. Does it have a parking space?

How was your heating & water so cheap??

What type of emmersion & timer did you have? With mine, as I said, there was no bath/sink option and the heat was fixed to come on during night saver hours for the whole night! the timer had no bits to pull in & out, just a fixed time span.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

How was your heating & water so cheap??

What type of emmersion & timer did you have? With mine, as I said, there was no bath/sink option and the heat was fixed to come on during night saver hours for the whole night! the timer had no bits to pull in & out, just a fixed time span.

Ha, where i am living now i dont have to pay for heating at all its great. And my last esb which wasn't estimated was 60euro. And when you turn off the lights in the apartment there's red lights on all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 powerslot

I worked out if you never turned on the hot water heater in your house and instead joined one of Ben Dunnes gyms for two hunderd quid you could have as many hot showers as you liked all year long and save a truck load of money. Also if you were arsed you could use the pool, the sauna and the equipment. Maybe get fit:)

cronin_j wrote: »
    My own experience- esb with electrical emersion, using the dryer only 2 times a month, flat screen tv, computer always on, use fan oven and clothes washer goin 3-4times a week, and the same with dishwasher. Is 90euro for 2months. Heating is approx 40euro every two months in winter. Only really need it nov-feb. Bins i think are 300 for the year. Internet and tv is 75 a month, (can get cheaper i chose 20meg bb). 900 seems steep enough too for rent. Does it have a parking space?

Yes it has a parking space with electric security gates, one of the main selling points for me. The building itself is only 3-4 years old, apartment fully furnished. I think 900 seems to be the average rate around rathfarnham? more expensive in places near by like dundrum.

powerslot wrote: »
    I worked out if you never turned on the hot water heater in your house and instead joined one of Ben Dunnes gyms for two hunderd quid you could have as many hot showers as you liked all year long and save a truck load of money. Also if you were arsed you could use the pool, the sauna and the equipment. Maybe get fit:)

Im actually in carlisle so must keep that in mind! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have a three bed house and my esb bill is roughly €60-€80 every two months, thats not including heating

so an apartment should be a lot less then that.

use all your appliances on economy, dont turn on lights unless you have to and dont leave anything plugged in unless its essential

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Don't buy expensive 'ribbed' condoms, just buy an ordinary one and slip a handful of frozen peas inside it before you put it on.

DRILL a one inch diameter hole in your refrigerator door. This will allow you to check that the light goes off when the door is closed.

OLD telephone directories make ideal personal address books. Simply cross out the names and address of people you don't know.

INCREASE the life of your carpets by rolling them up and keeping them in the garage

Smokers. Save on matches and lighters, by simply lighting your next fag from the butt of your last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Obviously turn off lights when you don't need them but it's not a mega saving.

It's the immersion and the dryer that will kill your ESB bill.
    Oh and electric heaters but you won't be using them that often. I only use mine for a few hours in the evenings over winter. Don't think I've used mine since March.
    The only thing I have to watch is the immersion. Maybe 20 minutes every morning and realy that's it. And if you're in a gym you might hardly use your shower at home at all!

When I was in a one bed, bills were 90 euro every two months. Realy with all the fixed charges and levies it's hard to get it much lower.

So OP, aim for around but don't live like a miser. No point paying big money for a nice flat that's freezing cold all the time.
    And you can do better then 900 for a flat in Rathfarmham, keep looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

OP, 900 Greenbacks for a one-bed? Surely that's mortgage type payment? Jayney-mack if I could afford that (& allowing for ALL bills an extra-hundret which'd be a thousand), I'D buy somewhere. Just my opinion though.

Advertisement