Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

I'm on Gunnar's hold and I'm wondering if there are any Irish guilds on it? Just started playing yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 p1000

Don't know if there are any fully Irish guilds but there are a good few people from this site rolling with the Dark Reavers guild on Gunnar's Hold, though that might be full up. I'm not in any guild yet (was waiting til i could actually be of some help) so maybe i should leave it to the people who actually know what they're talking about to answer.

You can join multiple guilds, and there are a good few nice sounding ones recruiting all the time so you could join them and still join a more Irish-filled one later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 One Eyed Milkman

I see a lot of people are having trouble playing with their friends, was the same for me and mine.

Although we've developed a system for joining eachother when one person is on a overflow.You go back to desktop and relaunch the game and usually then the join feature works. If it doesn't work relaunch again. After about 2 times max we've gotten together.

Works pretty well seeing as today we got 4 lads in together playing. (We're on Gunnar's Hold too :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Fairly certain someone here was talking about the Celtic Incision guild or something like that, think someone on here set it up, can't remember which thread it was though.

Ah, in fact, here's the link: (too tired to edit what I was typing above)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056736938

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I think this might be the only MMO where I've died, several times, at level 1. :o

edit: also, and this is important so I'm putting it in bold for other people like me who didn't realise...

When you harvest a load of items, open your inventory and on the top right hand corner, click on the cog. In the menu that opens, click "deposit all collectables" and this sends all the harvesting materials to a special section of your bank. when you open a crafting station, you're able to access your bank and this seperate items list by clicking the tabs on the left hand side.

I found this out accidentally and it saves a hell of a lot of messing around and lets you continually harvest all items instead of having to get rid of some because there's no room. Most of you probably already knew this, but it's worth bringing up for others who were expecting the game to actually point out some of it's better innovations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I'd just found that out myself!

I'm playing a necro - unlocked all the different weapons and am finding it all a little bland - all the attacks on cool down seem to all do pretty much the same thing - maybe the subtle varieties of "3% more damage" etc etc make nuanced sense in PvP but for PVE it's all very very bland.

Also I'm level 11, wandering in the right area (the hearts are 10/11/12) and monsters can pretty much half bar me instantly and I'm chipping away on them doing hardly any damage - must be doing something wrong!

edit - I see there's another patch this morning - do arenanet issue patch notes anywhere (can't see them in the client or loader) or do we just need to figure it out ourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Was playing last night with a friend, waiting to get out of the overflow and into WvWvW when we decided we would try the structured PvP.

Went in with my ranger and his longbow, Have to say it was the most fun ive had in a game in a long time!! For some reason the game seems to run smoother than in PvE or WvWvW. It is really easy to jump into a game and start playing against other players.

It is almost like the first Guild Wars PvP(Which is a good thing!) but more refined. Positioning is really important, for a ranger anyway, and all the Classes seem really balanced! Have to say I bloody hate the way the thiefs can disappear and then reappear to stab you in the face!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I see quite a few comments on how easy it is to die. This was happening to me quite a bit too, and I think the issue (for anyone who has played an MMO before at least), is that its not like typical MMO combat.

If you're not dodging, running around, repositioning a lot you're not really doing it correctly!!. Learning how to dodge and evade is critical, particularly as there is no real tank any more holding a mob's attention.

As an aside, I'm not really sure how aggro/hate works in this game. There's definitely something going on - at one event I was AOE'ing incoming centaurs, and had them all attack me, so there is a mechanism for pulling aggro.

I'm away all week so I can't play - has anyone seen any impact of the wider release on log in, latency etc?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Was anyone able to pick this up in Store today without a pre-order ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

ArthurG wrote: »

If you're not dodging, running around, repositioning a lot you're not really doing it correctly!!. Learning how to dodge and evade is critical, particularly as there is no real tank any more holding a mob's attention.

Also, if someone is shooting at you, get between a rock or a tree to block the incoming shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

ArthurG wrote: »
    As an aside, I'm not really sure how aggro/hate works in this game. There's definitely something going on - at one event I was AOE'ing incoming centaurs, and had them all attack me, so there is a mechanism for pulling aggro.

I think certain moves have priority over others. For example, my pet has no taunt ability but he holds aggro for me quite well. So that must mean his 3 moves genertate alot more threat than mine. AoE seems to generate a massive amount of threat though.

Had my first big long session last night. I'm level 11 on my Ranger now and quite enjoying it. Each weapon heavily modyfing your skills is an excellent idea, although the weapon switching seems........over powered. Like I open combat with my Horn to buff myself and anyone around me and then just switch to my longbow and blow stuff up.

It seems to me like this could end up being very broken in endgame. It's like a WoW priest being able to heal while in shadow form. It just seems way OP and there are bound to be certain weapon switch combinations that just wreck you in 1 second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Kirby wrote: »
    I think certain moves have priority over others. For example, my pet has no taunt ability but he holds aggro for me quite well. So that must mean his 3 moves genertate alot more threat than mine. AoE seems to generate a massive amount of threat though.

Had my first big long session last night. I'm level 11 on my Ranger now and quite enjoying it. Each weapon heavily modyfing your skills is an excellent idea, although the weapon switching seems........over powered. Like I open combat with my Horn to buff myself and anyone around me and then just switch to my longbow and blow stuff up.

It seems to me like this could end up being very broken in endgame. It's like a WoW priest being able to heal while in shadow form. It just seems way OP and there are bound to be certain weapon switch combinations that just wreck you in 1 second.

That's the point of it though, getting the right weapon combo and utilizing it in PvP and PvE will be the difference between mediocrity and winning.Gone are the cookie cutter mechanics of having an entire screen full of skills to use and it forces you too really get the best out of your weapon swap.

The elementalist and Engineer get their skill variety from their utility / attunement skills so they in turn can't weapon swap like other classes. Also the Horn / Longbow combo is great but we still don't come close to the damage warriors can put out with their setup right now.

I PvP with a warrior friend who exclusively uses a Greatsword and won't weapon swap ever. I have tried and tried to get him to do it and explained the benefits to him but he has his playstyle and won't change and you can literally see him get torn up against other players in sPvP who weapon swap correctly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I see people with animals following them around,how do I get one? I want a wolf :( also I was just walking along casually and I got a message about across my screen "new event" and I had to kill a giant boar :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Certain classes have pets. Ranger does. I have a big brown bear named Gerry :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Kirby wrote: »
    Certain classes have pets. Ranger does. I have a big brown bear named Gerry :p

ah I'm guessing warrior doesn't then :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Sofar...

Got a human ranger level 9 and although it was fairly powerful if was kinda boring

Got an Asura(SP?) Elementalist level 4-5 but very very boring tbh and samish

Then i rolled a Norn Guardian and it's 11 sofar and im enjoying it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

[QUOTE=humanji;80472143
    When you harvest a load of items, open your inventory and on the top right hand corner, click on the cog. In the menu that opens, click "deposit all collectables" and this sends all the harvesting materials to a special section of your bank. when you open a crafting station, you're able to access your bank and this seperate items list by clicking the tabs on the left hand side.
    [/QUOTE]

I could kiss you!!!! Was really annoying having to deposit items one by one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Agree thisi is incredibly handy, although it took me a little while to figure out how it works.....

I do like how they have thrown out so many MMO conventions, which utiliately only served to annoy and frustrate players. The overflow thing is causing some people difficulty right now, but I for one prefer to be on playing that sitting in a queue for 30 mins waiting to get online.

The final frontier for me however is PVP - something I usually avoid like the plague. However I'm going to give it a go, as the reports to date seem very positive, even for PVP noobs like me who usually panic and fail when engaged in combat......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

You can get a mini pet from the store or Hall of Monuments if you played gw1. They dont do anything though, purely cosmetic. A pet to follow you around and keep you company.

Re people saying they are dying, I'm playing a ranger, and finding that I can kick ass pretty well in some areas. During the BWE's, it was different, I found I couldn't handle more than one enemy that was at my level at a time without being ground into mushy ranger paste. Now, my pet holds aggro decently well, and I can take a lot more. Like other people here are saying, it isn't just about getting high powered skills and letting the game do the work for you, you need to move about, dodge when you feel it's appropriate, and use a good combo of utility skills. In my case, I'm having (far too much) fun attacking a foe at range with a longbow, launching them away with point blank shot (I love that skill!), setting down a spike trap, waiting for them to run through it then using barrage.

tl;dr: This game rocks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭_Puma_

delta36 wrote: »
    Re people saying they are dying, I'm playing a ranger, and finding that I can kick ass pretty well in some areas. During the BWE's, it was different, I found I couldn't handle more than one enemy that was at my level at a time without being ground into mushy ranger paste. Now, my pet holds aggro decently well, and I can take a lot more. Like other people here are saying, it isn't just about getting high powered skills and letting the game do the work for you, you need to move about, dodge when you feel it's appropriate, and use a good combo of utility skills. In my case, I'm having (far too much) fun attacking a foe at range with a longbow, launching them away with point blank shot (I love that skill!), setting down a spike trap, waiting for them to run through it then using barrage.

tl;dr: This game rocks!

I do the same, dont forget lightning reflexes after laying down the spike trap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I went to GameStop to cancel my wow expansion as I am getting it for free fro elsewhere, but while I was there I got myself guild wars 2.... I hate myself as I said I won't be getting it now...

Well at least no sub on that thing. How big is the game? I wonder if it will be worth it to install it on ssd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Eager to get my copy, unfortunately wont get my hands on it till later tonight and probably wont get to play till weekend :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I went to GameStop to cancel my wow expansion as I am getting it for free fro elsewhere, but while I was there I got myself guild wars 2.... I hate myself as I said I won't be getting it now...

Well at least no sub on that thing. How big is the game? I wonder if it will be worth it to install it on ssd.

14.5 GB on my SSD

Fantastic mmo so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Lister1 wrote: »
    I could kiss you!!!! Was really annoying having to deposit items one by one....

Right clicking the object will also give you the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

im on gunnars hold caszu if anyone wants to add me :D also anyone else having problems with the verification email

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

Getting some god awful crashtodesktop all the time now since patching earlier, its whenever I open the guild or social panels.

caspa307 wrote: »
    im on gunnars hold caszu if anyone wants to add me :D also anyone else having problems with the verification email

I keep getting asked for it each time I turn on the game. Did it twice and both times the link didn't work. Also, fairly certain my email has been verified as I registered months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I've just installed the game from the disk and I'm now waiting on it to update.

I'm not really sure how much I have to download since it says " Files remaining: 61,245 " I'm guessing thats around 6gb I hope :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

delta36 wrote: »
    I keep getting asked for it each time I turn on the game. Did it twice and both times the link didn't work. Also, fairly certain my email has been verified as I registered months ago.

lol as long as im not the only one

Advertisement