Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Good article I read this morning, based on a phone interview with Colin Johanson about post release of Guild wars 2 and some stuff about the development.

"We had a huge Halloween update in October, we just had a big one in November, we have a giant Christmas update coming in December, and all of those have gone over really well, and I think in December people are going to be really excited. But January and February are actually are biggest updates to date. They’re even bigger than all the stuff we did in October, November and December. And I think that when people see how much stuff they’re gonna get for no monthly fee in January and February, they’re probably going to be blown away. These two months combined are basically an expansion’s worth of content for free."

Some exiting times ahead with the January and February updates. He said further on in the article that the February updated will include a major WvW update. Also I always thought that Dark age of Camelot was a major influence for WvW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

sounds great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Thanks for posting that Puma, looks like the devs have even greater things in store for the future of the game, looks great! But damn, gamingbolt really need to proof read their stuff!

For anyone looking to do the dragon events here is an application that counts down to their next appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Haven't played this in about 2 months, how are engineers and necromancers now? Also, how are condition builds nowadays for PvE and PvP?

• Advertisement

Wintersday info is up!
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/december-2012/

Looks like a lot of stuff going on, and from the description it seems the developers have listened to some of the players' opinions. I love the fact it's on so long, will give everyone a chance to take part.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

any one played the xmas events yet :P

any one played the xmas events yet :P

Was too tired to play last night, looking forward to it today. On a related note, the new patch notes have been released. Far too many to post here, a good deal of profession changes as well as Wintersday updates. For anyone who plays a ranger (myself included), a lot of their problems seem to have been sorted.
    For example:
    -Beastmasters Bond: Now triggers at 50% instead of 25%.
    -Increased the velocity of arrows fired from Short Bow and Longbow skills by 30%.(!)
    -Opening Strikes: These now work at any range
    -Signet of the Hunt: Increased the passive movement from 10% to 25%.
    To name just a few changes, haven't looked through the other professions, but looks like a really good update!
    Edit: The patch is roughly 590mb in size, as a heads up for anyone on slowish internet.

Massively have voted GW2 their GotY, but also runner-up for biggest Disappointment of the year :confused:

All in all I agree with with most the awards, good to see Planetside 2 and The Secret World getting mentions.

For me personally I've sunk the most amount of time into Guild wars 2 this year and even with its flaws I am still enjoying it. The Wintersday December update has been great, definitely an improvement on the November update. I'm looking forward to the January and February updates that are been touted by the devs as an expansion size update. Good to see most the zones having a decent size population in them again after a bit of a lull immediately after the fractals update. Seemed everybody was doing fractals and a lot of the zones were starting to empty out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

i have sunk soo much time on gw2 its not even funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Massively have voted GW2 their GotY, but also runner-up for biggest Disappointment of the year :confused:

All in all I agree with with most the awards, good to see Planetside 2 and The Secret World getting mentions.

For me personally I've sunk the most amount of time into Guild wars 2 this year and even with its flaws I am still enjoying it. The Wintersday December update has been great, definitely an improvement on the November update. I'm looking forward to the January and February updates that are been touted by the devs as an expansion size update. Good to see most the zones having a decent size population in them again after a bit of a lull immediately after the fractals update. Seemed everybody was doing fractals and a lot of the zones were starting to empty out.

Ah now i think thats fixed, i mean if you want to look at a big pile of crap that disappointed so many people i think SWTOR is the clear winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

played this a good bit over xmas, love it.

only discovered the pvp element yesterday. hit 30 on my ranger, trying to get a pug group for ac story mode but cant doesnt seem to be many people running the story mode.

games class

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Calhoun wrote: »
    Ah now i think thats fixed, i mean if you want to look at a big pile of crap that disappointed so many people i think SWTOR is the clear winner.

SWTOR was released in 2011 and while it was a massive disappointment GW2 was even bigger imho, they should have learned from Biowares` mistakes - that being an mmorpg with no endgame is just idiotic if the company want to keep people playing their game.

Dont get me wrong GW2 was fantastic while leveling up but after that it is just boring.
    SWTOR was fun until about lvl 40 then it sucked badly.

I havent played either in a long time but SWTOR doesnt interest me even though its free to play its still very limited unless you spend money.

GW2 atleast offers very casual players something to play, i might actually level up a third character to max level purely because it is fun to do so but the sickening disappointment for me is once they hit max level they are just left there to rot as for me and obviously millions more there is simply nothing to do after that.
    I dont like pvp and wvw is just a zergfest , even when playing in a well organised outfit.

I would gladly pay a subscription to it if it had decent endgame pve.
    Yes i do like what has been labelled the mmo threadmill,its worked with wow for many many years,people like to have something to work towards in thei mmorpg `s to keep them interest in the longterm.

Technically GW2 is brilliant,as ive said the leveling is fresh and enjoyable, imagine what real quality endgame would do for this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Ya I forgot it came out last December, I think the one saving grace for Gw2 is its lived up more to what it said it was going to be than swtor.

Don't get me wrong good single player game **** MMO.

The thing is though they don't "need" to keep people playing. They have stated this on numerous occasions, Anet built a game that was enjoyable to play and everybody you ask will agree that they got their moneys worth.

I agree that the game has problems but its still only 4 months old. Once you hit 80 you have a few options, PvP(Stale Meta atm), WvW(It is what you make of it, you don't have to fight in a massive zerg all the time, try looking at tactics for defending/ attacking keeps with siege. An organised party of about 10 people can achieve quiet a lot), Getting a legendary(A lot of grind), Dungeons to get the exotic gear with tokens or crafting(Not very rewarding).

You are probably in the miniority of the GW2 community in saying that you like the mmo Treadmill. Just look at the outcry there was when they introduced the ascended gear to lessen the barrier to a legendary. Exotic<Ascended<Legendary. So for this game a gear treadmill will probably not be tolerated, what other type of Endgame would you like to see?

Its very hard to have it both ways for the community, I think what they should do is increase the rewards of dungeons so that you have a chance of getting Ascended and mats for Legendary gear, which I wouldn't be surprised to see in a future update. Another thing that I thing is badly needed is an Underflow server for zones so that people can start to enjoy the mid level zones again with other people, there really is a ton of content that can be overlooked as you speed level to 80. Perhaps greater rewards for fully completing Meta events in a zone.

So, this was just posted on the Guild Wars 2 site:
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/colin-johanson-on-guild-wars-2-in-the-months-ahead/
    Very interesting read, basically outlining all their plans for the coming months of the game, I have to say, it looks quite promising. And the small amount of Wintersday events I actually got to play seems to show that the developers are listening to feedback from players.

Just about to post this, some rather juicy stuff in there. Guild quests, better rewards for doing zones, better WvW rewards. Wasn't far off with what I thought they needed to do to improve the game. Id like to see some sort of Guild v Guild PvP introduced at some stage like GW1.

Interesting that they ruled out any gear treadmill for 2013. Wouldn't be surprised to see a new tier in an expansion plus >level cap, but I'm only theorising here.

All in all exciting times ahead.

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Just about to post this, some rather juicy stuff in there. Guild quests, better rewards for doing zones, better WvW rewards. Wasn't far off with what I thought they needed to do to improve the game. Id like to see some sort of Guild v Guild PvP introduced at some stage like GW1.

Interesting that they ruled out any gear treadmill for 2013. Wouldn't be surprised to see a new tier in an expansion plus >level cap, but I'm only theorising here.

All in all exciting times ahead.

Yeah, the guild quests sounds interesting, and it seems like the developers are, unsurprisingly, really devoted to adding to the game, and tweaking it. Fair play to them, because they're trying to keep everyone happy. Some players started complaining about the lack of endgame, so they introduced the fractals of the mists and a gear treadmill, and then players starting complaining about that as well. But yeah, exciting times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Haven't touched this in months, looking forward to Terra in febuary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭KilOit

Only getting around to playing this now, i was in the beta and pre purchased it way back.
    Is it just me or is the flow of leveling really interupted? i'm constantly running out of areas to level since i completed the odd quest at my appropriate level and left with high level that i can't do.
    I'm level 17 human and no choice but to go level 20+ stuff
    am i missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

There are a few ways to level.
    A. Pve content - completing hearts, discovering locations, waypoints and vistas, and dynamic events as well as completing dailies will give you more XP than simply killing mobs. Completing all the hearts in a map should get you over or close to the level you need to move to the next one. If not go to another area thats fit for your level. All five races have starting areas from 1-15 and even if youre level 17 you can still do them and gain levels.
    Once you get to level 35 you can start doing dungeons which will gain you levels quickest.

B. WvW - trickier but doable at earlier levels and if your consistent you can gain

C. Crafting. Crafting gains you Xp relative to your current level. So if you max out one profession to 400 you gain approximately 10 levels. So you can either go from level 17 to 27 and the same crafting xp will get you from level 70 to 80. So its generally best left till youre 40-50+ if youre concerned about levelling.

The best way is to combine all three, or atleast a couple of them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Havent played in about a month now,must get back into it

Havent played in about a month now,must get back into it

Same, but because of other commitments as opposed to being bored with it, as some others seem to have been, really looking forward to having a chance to play again soon. Really enjoyed the Wintersday dungeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 darkstar06

Hi Folks,

Posted this separately, then found this thread on GW2, so posting in the right place now I guess .

A few of us who were playing Guild Wars2, back in beta, started playing right as the servers went live, and created our guild. We didnt bother driving it then, but concentrated on maxing out and exploring the game.

Now we are lvl 80's, and starting to drive the guild. Looking for anyone interested in joining with us. We are currently setting up a web server, and plan to develop an active guild community. Doesn't matter what level you are, how long you have been playing or whether you like PVP, PVE, WvW. We just plan to play and have a laugh. We are regular players, generally someone is on almost every day or evening. New players welcome, as the aim here is to help each other, and have fun

The guild is small, and just starting off at the moment, so looking to build on that. Really want to develop a friendly, helpful guild of players, who can help each other, and work to get a good friendly community going.

If anyone is interested, drop me a mail, and I'll send you a guild invite.

The Guild is "The Legion Of The First Light" , on Desolation

Update: Our website is now up, @ www.the1stlight.com

Still working on a lot of content, and would like to get guild members to contribute hints, tips, stories, screenshots etc, to make it a community site. We have the main site, with a few pages, a mail server, and a forum up at the moment.

Going to spend more time on the website over the weekend.

Cheers,

In response to darkstar, I wouldn't mind joining, but I'm on a different server.

In other news, for any players who missed the announcement, guesting is being implemented on the 28th. More importantly, this means free server transfers finish that day, so if you still haven't decided on what server you permanently want to play on, now's the time to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 darkstar06

delta36 wrote: »
    In response to darkstar, I wouldn't mind joining, but I'm on a different server.

In other news, for any players who missed the announcement, guesting is being implemented on the 28th. More importantly, this means free server transfers finish that day, so if you still haven't decided on what server you permanently want to play on, now's the time to decide.

Thanks Delta, well if you ever drop over to desolation, give me a shout :)

Was farming gold in the Cursed shore yesterday, and buying influence .. going to try and push the guild this weekend, as well as get some work done on our website.

New announcement post about upcoming update, Flame & Frost:
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/january-2013/

I don't know why, but the teaser paragraph for this makes me very excited!
    The sky falls and the ground shakes in the lands of the north. Charr and norn refugees crawl from the wreckage of their homes in the Wayfarer Foothills and Diessa Plateau, struggling to find shelter in the south. The call goes out for volunteers to assist the victims in this time of need, when earth and sky seem to have become the enemy…

Flame and Frost: Prelude is the prologue to a multi-stage narrative that will bring big changes to Guild Wars 2 in the months to come.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Started again after Christmas and it's gone through a lot of changes. Enjoying it immensely at the moment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Might give it a go again soon, had a quick go over xmas and the server i was on was deserted.
    Any suggestions of a good pop server?
    Im more into pve, not a fan of pvp,wvw etc.

• Advertisement

The Free server transfer ends on the 28th of Januaruy, best to get it done before that. My advice would be to go to one of the High population servers, when I transferred about a month ago there was about 6 in the EU. Server I am on, Desolation, is usually coming up as full but if you try and transfer at off peak times GMT you should be able to get in.

You should also be aware that some servers are unofficial country servers, like blacktide, which is Russian. While not all the map chat is in Russian and English is still spoken as the main language, many guilds would be recruiting Russian speaking members.

Another bit of advice is to try and get into a decent guild that has some sort of teamspeak. It really does improve the game so much to be able to easily group up with knowledgeable guildies to do PvE or have a competent officer in WvW. Also with custom arenas coming in, being in a guild that dabbles in sPvP would be nice. Some of the best fun Ive had in the game was playing sPvP versus guildies all on teamspeak.

Advertisement