Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Chuey

I have a LT for playing casually (i5 430m, Radeon 5470, 4GB RAM, SSD) as you say on the couch in front of the tele. Can't WvW and large events are tricky. For that I use my beast of a PC. I'm not bothered with audio, usually headphones and mic for comms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Chuey wrote: »
    I have a LT for playing casually (i5 430m, Radeon 5470, 4GB RAM, SSD) as you say on the couch in front of the tele. Can't WvW and large events are tricky. For that I use my beast of a PC. I'm not bothered with audio, usually headphones and mic for comms.

You can't play WvW even with an i5? Wow, I would have thought that'd be able to handle it.

In other news, big(ish?) update coming on the 26th. Along with the next installment of the Fire & Frost Living Story, which is promising to be bigger than the previous updates, there's also additions to WvW, like allowing you to select the detail of character models (which I'm hopeful will let me play it!), and updates to Guild missions, which also include a bounty mission for small guilds, that only requires Art of War level 3 to activate, and rewards 3000 influence. Other stuff as well, spread out across different updates on GuildWars2.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Is it still worth getting this ?
    Loved GW1, one of my favourite MMOs.

Had a bit of an inkling for an mmo last night, usually happens every year, play a new one for a month or 2 then quit. This seems like a good option since no sub or nothing. I really shouldnt, as im being quite productive lately, but f*ck it.

Spunge wrote: »
    Is it still worth getting this ?
    Loved GW1, one of my favourite MMOs.

When you say "still worth", if you mean is the game still active? Then I can say yes, very much so! (At least on the server I'm on) This game isn't really comparable to GW1 in my opinion, completely different play style/mechanics and all that. Still though, if you enjoyed the lore of Guild Wars 1, you'll find it continued here, and there is still the same sort of "vibe" in this game as in the last one, for example serious plot and all that, but with some nice humor thrown in for good measure! [not sure if I'm explaining that vibe thing correctly, and maybe it's just my own perception]
    And as you say, it's sub free, so you don't feel pressured to play a certain amount each month to get your money's worth, although you'll probably find that you do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Yeah thats what i mean, sounds good.
    Worst is trying an mmo a few months or years after release and its empty as ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭_Puma_

No fear of GW2 emptying out of players in the foreseeable future. They mentioned last month that the number of concurrent player was rising.

I find playing the starter zones now far more enjoyable than what it was at launch. Far less zerging of dynamic events so the content is a lot more enjoyable. Alting in this game is a breath of fresh air with loads of content packed into the beginning/Mid level zones.

They are releasing small monthly updates with an expansion probably in the works, but I doubt we will see it until late this year/next year.

WvW will be getting a big update this week to improve performance(Big issues surrounding culling at present) and to introduce some progression for players that is focused on WvW.

To be quiet honest the "End game" of GW2 is very different to traditional MMOS. The way the game is designed, all the content can be accessed even if you out-level the zone. Of course there are still the traditional Dungeons but I find these to be less enjoyable than the actual open world.

The character that I have put most effort into, a Necro, has Crafted exotic gear/Dungeon completion/Fractals 10. Only use him for WvW and Guild bountys anymore as grinding to get a legendary weapon doesn't really appeal to me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was thinking of making an alt,what class would ye recommend,I'm warrior currently.

_Puma_ wrote: »

I find playing the starter zones now far more enjoyable than what it was at launch. Far less zerging of dynamic events so the content is a lot more enjoyable. Alting in this game is a breath of fresh air with loads of content packed into the beginning/Mid level zones.

I have to say, I'm pleased with the amount of activity still in the starter areas, and I suspect the dailys have something to do with that. And the nice thing about the scaling of a characters level means it's not a walkover playing in those areas, and you don't have level 80 characters killing everything in sight.

So far I have

Sylvari -> Order of Whispers -> Ranger (80)
    I wouldn't pick a Ranger to be quiet honest as they are really underpowered. The pets just don't seem to add much but they are fun to play. The sylvari starting areas was fun though with the personal storyline being decent(Although I think it gets pretty naff after the point where all the stories converge).

Charr -> Vigil -> Necromancer (80)
    Slightly underpowered but perfectly fine for levelling in PvE and lots of survivability. Charr zones in Ascalon are my favourite zones. Randomly came across Ebonhawke that I never knew existed when I was completing the zone it was in. I find the whole Charr/Human conflict to be the most engaging in the game with the Ascalon dynamic events being fairly good.

Norn -> Durmund Priory -> Warrior (62)
    Enjoying playing as a Warrior with lots of DPS but survivability is not great. I find the Norn Storyline to not be great with some truly awful Voice acting :-). Saying that I don't mind the Shiverpeak zones in terms of their Dynamic events. The new living story seems to be taking part in mainly the shiverpeak Zones.

Asura -> (Not decided yet) -> Mesmer (6)
    Haven't played this character much yet, use it mainly for sPvP. Looking forward to playing the Asura zones, have heard they are quiet good. Mesmer takes a bit of getting used to but is probably one of the most fun classes to play. Dont think their survivability is great but played right they are really effective.

I plan on setting up an alt for every class in the game eventually, next on the list being a Human Elementalist. You can visit any zone at any time but I find doing them as you level an alt to be enjoyable as you can get the Karma gear for the zone level.

Crafting is another thing I try and keep up with although it can get expensive. Currently have a 400 Tailor and 280 Armorsmith.

Update notes have been posted on the GW2 forums, too many to list here.
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/Game-Update-Notes-March-26-2013

One main thing to note however is the following:
    Until April 1, 2013, it is free to transfer to all Medium population worlds! Players are still restricted to one world transfer per week, so choose wisely.
    Lots of other changes as well, update is worth a read through, no idea if it's been pushed to the client yet though.
    Roll on the Razing content!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

does anyone have tips for a new player. lvl 4 elementalist.

used to play GW1 a lot.

Well if you were into GW1 I would start off as a Charr as their home zones are in Ascalon. This game is a good bit different to GW1 but the nostalgia of the lore in the Ascalon zones are good.

Next is the server choice, I would go with a High/Medium world that is not just WvW orientated. I am on Desolation and there is a good PvE community but we are also ranked 3rd in Europe for WvW so there is a good balance.

Finally I would try and get into a guild community or build up your friends contact list for levelling. While levelling alone and just jumping into events with randomers is good fun, it is always good to have few people who are willing to help you out with that tough Champion or Skill point.

I've never played as an elementalist but from what I hear they can be quiet squishy. For PvE play this might suck in terms of survivability but I am sure there are ways to spec for survivability.

Don't forget you can be in more than one guild, so feel free to try a few different ones! Also, just to point this out in case you missed it (not sure it it's shown in any hint popups, and a lot of people miss it), when you open your inventory, clicking the gear in the upper right corner and selecting "deposit collectibles" will automatically move all crafting materials in your bag to your bank, helping you save space.

So, it's April Fools day tomorrow, and Arenanet have added a new list of achievements, and an NPC to Rata Sum, along with updating the content page of their site. I genuinely, genuinely hope that this stuff is in game, and it's not all just lies, because, as is their custom, Arenanet are making this look [expletive] awesome!!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/april-2013/

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/your-super-adventure-box-questions-answered/

If nothing else, just watch the video :D

It is indeed playable, had a lot of fun getting to the end of the 3rd level!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

Got my Distinction in Applied Jumping before they took away the nice whip glitch so im happy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Made an alt over the weekend,a norn ranger,gave up on him though as I got really bored of him,I don't think I'll ever enjoy playing another class as I do as a warrior unfortunately :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Yeah, I have one at 64 now, they don't change much to be honest.

I did have a blast with the engineer + bombs. Good fun running dropping bombs all day and the 33% constant speed up while changing skills is also handy.

The war is fun alright (also my first character), but the guardian is a close second. Its a lower health pool but can output some nice heals + shields, definately more useful in parties. Saying that I did level my guardian much, much faster than the war due mainly to the great sword aoe before they nerfed it, still a pretty good class though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

have my ranger up to 54, im fairly casual player.

have a warrior at 13, found his survivability lacking compared to the ranger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

copeyhagen wrote: »
    have my ranger up to 54, im fairly casual player.

have a warrior at 13, found his survivability lacking compared to the ranger

His health pool keeps growing as you level, leaving you a lot more time to make a decision about getting the hell out of there.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I have one at 64 now, they don't change much to be honest.

I did have a blast with the engineer + bombs. Good fun running dropping bombs all day and the 33% constant speed up while changing skills is also handy.

The war is fun alright (also my first character), but the guardian is a close second. Its a lower health pool but can output some nice heals + shields, definately more useful in parties. Saying that I did level my guardian much, much faster than the war due mainly to the great sword aoe before they nerfed it, still a pretty good class though.

Think I'll give engineer a go :).

His health pool keeps growing as you level, leaving you a lot more time to make a decision about getting the hell out of there.

played him a bit last night, went up about 4 levels fairly quickly doing couple of bosses, cave troll boss in queensdale was respawning every ten minutes!

also speced a pistol, so so so much fun, easy to kite mobs around while taking next to no damage..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

hey lads, free weekend from today until the 22nd, going to download and roll a char.

Any tips on what to play? I enjoyed ranged classes and tanks in most games I've played.

Also, what server/world/whatever are most of you on?

Seaneh wrote: »
    hey lads, free weekend from today until the 22nd, going to download and roll a char.

Any tips on what to play? I enjoyed ranged classes and tanks in most games I've played.

Also, what server/world/whatever are most of you on?

Bit late to post this now,but hope you enjoyed the weekend! I believe a lot of people here are either on Gunnars Hold or The Desolation(?) if you're considering getting the game, which is currently 30% off.

I'm sure everyone has heard of the super adventure box stunt Arenanet have done now, but they recently uploaded a flash based game called "Rytlock's Critter Rampage". It's quite addictive, as well as insanely hard and frustrating at points. To quote from the page, "Play on Easy Mode unless you are a wizard".

It's based on the game you see being played at the start of the fake ad for Super Adventure Box.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/presenting-the-rytlocks-critter-rampage-game/

This is just one of the many reasons I love Arenanet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Kernunos

Afternoon all. I have been following this Thread since its inception but only bought the game after the free weekend so have a different kind of interest now. I know that somewhere in the depths of the 136 pages there was mention of people joining a certain server and guild but I cant find them and dont want to have to sift through all the pages so are people still active and playing and if so where about?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Kernunos

Actually forget that, the answer was in the post right about mine. Doh

so.... what do people do at 80 in this game.

is the level 80 fractals like an end game raid / dungeon, with different types of difficulty?

Fractals, Explore mode dungeons and PvP. Map completion too if that is your thing. All these get boring after a while though. What I generally do is level a Character to 80, get exotic gear and finish a crafting discipline then roll an alt. Currently on my fourth character after doing the above with my other 3 level 80's. Working towards map completion on one of my characters, plodding along slowly. I wouldn't advise grinding for a legendary, it can be soul destroying.

Playing guild content too can be enjoyable, my favourite being the Guild Rushes. Guild Missions are probably the only enjoyable large scale group content in the game anymore the way WvW has turned out. Our Server will probably be dropping out of Tier 1 soon though so looking forward to seeing if WvW is more enjoyable in the lower tiers.

Open world PvE is probably the games strong point to be honest. Playing with new classes in different regions can be quiet rewarding, and there is a lot of content out there. All the while giving my existing characters some use by doing dailys or Dragon events.

Saying that a big plus for this game is that you can take a break for a while, many in our guild have done this and have returned again after a bit. There are rumours that the expansion is being actively worked on at the moment, which is well needed in my opinion.

*And to answer your question about fractals they are 3 (+ 1 bonus fractal) random mini dungeons in a one level run, they get increasingly harder after each level. You can jump in at any level as long as someone in your party has the level unlocked. I played them for a bit but got bored of doing the same mini dungeons(about 9 in all) after about level 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ceiteach

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Our Server will probably be dropping out of Tier 1 soon though so looking forward to seeing if WvW is more enjoyable in the lower tiers.

What server are you on? We (Seafarers Rest) were dropped from tier 1 last week, and WvW has been way better!

• Advertisement

Desolation. [IRON] have recently left our server (Might be a good thing) and we have seen a drastic drop in cover in WvW, leading to us being stomped in most the other servers borderlands. We can still hold our own in EB and our own BL during primetime but just cant compete anymore with the superior cover and zergs.

Actually played a good bit last night and had some great battles running around in small groups. Again once we hit the zerg we get wiped.

Advertisement