Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripped off at the vets... :(

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

I'm completely happy with our vet too. Its a smallish practice in Kanturk, North Cork and I can't recommend him enough, very kind and caring and also not overly expensive. Meds are reasonable, and prices haven't increased in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

morgana wrote: »
    I'm completely happy with our vet too. Its a smallish practice in Kanturk, North Cork and I can't recommend him enough, very kind and caring and also not overly expensive. Meds are reasonable, and prices haven't increased in years.
    There's a 50:50 chance we use the same vet! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

:D Let's see then, the one by the Petrol Station?

Yup! :)

The one you'd miss if you didn't know it was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP do you have pet insurance? I had it for my cat and it saved me a good bit when he got sick - will def be getting it for the puppy. I use the Anicare in Glasnevin (same group as Palmerstown) and found them brilliant when my cat got sick (he was pts :( ) the bills were expensive but they told me I didn't have to pay it all at once etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 justhedog

tk123 wrote: »
    OP do you have pet insurance? I had it for my cat and it saved me a good bit when he got sick - will def be getting it for the puppy. I use the Anicare in Glasnevin (same group as Palmerstown) and found them brilliant when my cat got sick (he was pts :( ) the bills were expensive but they told me I didn't have to pay it all at once etc
    Once a vet hears you have pet insurence it is open season on spend spend spend. It does not seem to matter if the animal is going to pull through or not. :mad::mad::mad:

justhedog wrote: »
    Once a vet hears you have pet insurence it is open season on spend spend spend. It does not seem to matter if the animal is going to pull through or not. :mad::mad::mad:
    Maybe in your experience. But its simply not true of all vets so its a bit of a generalisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Bluefrog- I done work experience at a vets that used to do the same thing with the names, you really have no idea how many cats are called fluffy, you could have two or three fluffys in at a time and the only way you knew who belonged to who was by their ''surname'' :D

I know somebody that was quoted nearly 200 euro to neuter a female rabbit, they went to a vets across the road instead and paid half that. It pays to shop around, the cheapest isint always the best but the same goes for the most expensive one too.
    The practise I done my work exp in just so happens to be the expensive place in town, and I can honestly say I will never be bringing any of my pets back to it ever again :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I have 3 cats.the 2 younger ones I bring to the blue cross for their injections etc. U just have to give a donation of whatever u can afford. The eldest cat is 15 and has had a good few health problems (she had to have her ears amputated cos she had skin cancer) so I just bring her to the local vets cos they have treated her for these problems and have her notes. It is expensive tho just paid 73 euro today for a check up, one tube of flea treatment and arthritis supplement.he wants her to come back for blood tests during the week so that'll prob cost even more. But at the end of the day I would pay anything to make sure she has a good quality of life in her senior years:D was thinkin of takin out pet insurance on the other two. Is this a good idea anyone tell me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

This happened to me,the vet was charging for every little thing.We changed vet and got better treatment(more attentive etc),but what got me was the medicine.Our new vet charged us a fraction of the price we were buying ,for a longer course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Top Dog wrote: »
    Am I one of the few people on here who's actually thoroughly happy with their vet?

i am, my parents brought our pets to the vet i bring my cat to now- and im v happy with them- v friendly and dont overcharge, and more than happy to listen to my stupid questions:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

olaola wrote: »
    + 1 for Carey & Keane, they really take note of history and develop a relationship with you & your pet. They remember her name too! :D

I think C&K are VERY expensive. Seem to make up a number on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

justhedog wrote: »

Even if that was the case you'd only be paying the excess and getting the rest back!?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

one of the first questions was indeed "has your dog a pet insurence". unfortunately he hasnt (to old and in germany where we lived two years ago you cant insure your dog healthwise).
    after this question i felt a bit treated second class "well then we cant do this test.......and that....."
    but for sure we would pay anything for our dog if it helps him out. but not 42 euros again and again for getting told what we all ready know!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Electrician

Hi all. My cat is on a asthma inhaler twice a day. My local vet was charging me €104 a month for the inhaler. I called into the local chemist and asked them how much it was with them and if it was possible to get them there in future. Got a letter from the vet which they have to supply to you on the animals meds and now the inhaler costs €33.50 a month.
    Anyone on longterm meds should check the difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭annefitzy

Hi all. My cat is on a asthma inhaler twice a day. My local vet was charging me €104 a month for the inhaler. I called into the local chemist and asked them how much it was with them and if it was possible to get them there in future. Got a letter from the vet which they have to supply to you on the animals meds and now the inhaler costs €33.50 a month.
    Anyone on longterm meds should check the difference

You must have a pretty laid back cat to let you give him/her an inhaler twice aday fair play to you;) btw are you using the AeroKat device with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Electrician

Yea i have the aerokat. He doesn't really mind getting it. Half the time the little flap on the aerokat is vibrating away as he purrs. Don't think he wants his lungs to fill with fluid again so he'd do anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭annefitzy

Yea i have the aerokat. He doesn't really mind getting it. Half the time the little flap on the aerokat is vibrating away as he purrs. Don't think he wants his lungs to fill with fluid again so he'd do anything

Fair play to you;) sounds like a sweetie of a cat, it great to see a true and caring pet owner;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Dragging up a 1 year old thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement