Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Population trends in Ireland

• 20-08-2009 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

i was thinking of posting this in the census area but theres nothing there so i said id post here,
    next year is when the next census is taking place in ireland, i was just curious as to what other people thought they would see, there is a global recession on around the world, does this mean that towns and cities will see a massive influx in population as people will go to bigger places to work?

discuss..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

D-A-V-E I don't care how enticing you try to make it - I'M NOT GOING TO LIMERICK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

i wouldnt say there would be huge amounts going to irish cities...maybe more going abroad to canada/ australia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Speaking like a dope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

This time next year their'll be only about 5 people left in this country including Brian Cowen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

There'll be loads more Jedi and Pastafarians thats for sure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

Long Onion wrote: »
    D-A-V-E I don't care how enticing you try to make it - I'M NOT GOING TO LIMERICK!

shame, you'll be missing out!:D
    000101b310dr.jpg

seriously tho on a countrywide scale anyone who works for the cso or anything?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Probably emigration will be up slightly. Also, will there be more or less Brazilians in Gort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

i'll be curious to see the population of dublin..will people move there to seek jobs or will there be a huge number who left..possibly to other parts of the country as its just too expensive there

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Church of Ireland's population rises by 46% http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0214/1233867937744.html

The population recorded in the 1841 census was 8.12 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Doubt there'll be a larger influx of people in the city...people have been migrating to the cities for years, even during the Celtic Tiger.
    I'd say there'd be a decline in population overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GeeNorm

I think the next census is 2011 and its one of those things that they postpone if we're broke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

Census forum tbh

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=541

Unbelievably we have one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    next year is when the next census is taking place in ireland,
    Last Sunday in April, 2011.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The CSO's April 2009 Pop and Migration Estimates will be released shortly, and you can use these estimates to track the big population changes between each Census.

For 2011, I think the following will be the case:

Population around 4.5 to 4.6 million. Net emigration back with a vengeance, but very high birth rates mean natural increase keeps pop figures in growth territory.

By 2016, if things haven't improved, then you will see population loss fuelled by high emigration. This is what happened in the 80s - the population figures tend to have a inertia in relation to the economy and only really respond after a five year period. Pop continued to grow between 1981 and 1986 but then declined from '86 to '91.

Ireland has been gradually urbanising for over 150 years and will continue to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

JupiterKid wrote: »
    For 2011, I think the following will be the case:

Population around 4.5 to 4.6 million. Net emigration back with a vengeance, but very high birth rates mean natural increase keeps pop figures in growth territory.

I reckon 4.2 million if not less. Alot of immigrants have gone home and natives have jumped ship. Of course the economic situation will still be appalling in 2011 to deter any population growth.

Watch out for the unoccupied houses/apts. At least 250,000 detected in the last census, expect that to skyrocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

NBB Bohs wrote: »
    WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO WITH ALL THOSE EMPTY HOUSES? WILL THEY GIVE THEM AWAY FOR FREE?

whose gonna want to buy them anymore, now that the great rush to buy your own place has come to an end?

NAMA will buy them courtesy of your taxes and your future children's taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Napoli

The whole world has been urbanising for the past few decades. Farming as a way of life is dead. Farming has become an industry now with "companies" controlling huge mega-farms.

If the USA, UK and France are anything to go by we can expect to see "white-flight" in our cities soon, where the native white populations move out to the suburbs to escape the crime waves brought on by foreign immigrants in the inner city.

I remember hearing on the news a while back that whites are officially a minority in North inner city Dublin now. I'll try and find a link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Ireland has been gradually urbanising for over 150 years and will continue to do so.
    Not by the hairs on my chinny chin chin laddy! I call for the a chulchie revolution. Let us defend our green fields with the finest wavin pipes we can find. That'll teach the townies! :)

Advertisement