Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digging for bait at Sandymount

Options
  • 20-08-2009 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, Im heading off on a fishing weekend next week and am looking to dig for my own bait. How do I go about this?? I know Sandymount is a good spot, but is there anywhere more south than there, or even north wicklow?

I have never dug for bait so I have no idea how to go about it. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

Sandymount strand is also good if you are into dogging for a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

But what are the tell signs for a good digging location? Low tide i presume? Is there a certain section on the beach that is particularly good?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Hey Sternn. Not a big sea angler myself but always found this website good for tips.

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bait%201%20-%20lug.htm

I presume it's Lug or Rag your going digging? Low tide and areas closer to the sea I always found the best bait. Look for the holes & swiggles the worms make. Small fork better than a spade.

One word on safety though, low tide mud flats even in sandymount are dangerous places so be careful and tightlines!:cool:

Advertisement