Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Inset Stoves

• 20-08-2009 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,

Any advice on this would be very welcome.

I have a relatively new house, built in the last 5 years. I want to get a multi fuel stove and install it in an existing (open type) fireplace. The installer tells me that some structural work will be required - remove the fireback, remove the fireplace etc to see how much space is available. So far so good.

Now my question is about the need for a flue liner - do I need one? I have read that some manufacturers say that a liner is always required, but a number of different installers and shops have told me that a liner is not required in a new chimney. For me its not a question of cost, if one is needed I will get one, but I am getting conflicting advice from different sources.

Can anyone clear this up?

Thanks,

Copper1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Doctor_L

Hi,

We placed our small stove in front of the fire place and covered the original opening with a metal sheet. A short pipe runs from the back of the stove into the plate.

The smoke etc goes up the chimney as normal.

If you are burning solid fuel you should not need a flue liner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

Copper check out this thread for more info but not saying it will answer your question definitivly. If you have the budget a liner may be worthwhile and certainly cause no harm but varies from installation to installation.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055417311&page=4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Copper1

Thanks for the replies. I did look at the previous posts, but theer doesnt seem to be a conclusive answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Doctor_L wrote: »
    Hi,

We placed our small stove in front of the fire place and covered the original opening with a metal sheet. A short pipe runs from the back of the stove into the plate.

The smoke etc goes up the chimney as normal.

If you are burning solid fuel you should not need a flue liner.

bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

I recommend EssE

http://http://www.esse.com/stoves/multifuel_wood/300.html

Click On Dimensions to Check How it will fit Your Fire Opening:

300 Fits with Fireback in Place
    350 fits with Fireback Knocked out

Easy to Fit. No Stainless steel Flue Liner required (assuming you have a clay liner built in the chimney stack)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

moceri wrote: »
    I recommend EssE

http://http://www.esse.com/stoves/multifuel_wood/300.html

Click On Dimensions to Check How it will fit Your Fire Opening:

300 Fits with Fireback in Place
    350 fits with Fireback Knocked out

Easy to Fit. No Stainless steel Flue Liner required (assuming you have a clay liner built in the chimney stack)

Agree on the quality of the inset stove mentioned.

I don't know where you got the information about the flue, it's late so I am working from memory but I am sure the manufacturer recommends a Hetas installer which by default means a liner.

Copper 1,

If you go into a shop that only sells stoves it's their job to sell the stove, if you go into a shop that both sells and installs chances are you are told to use a liner.

Put yourself in their place, the cost of the installation can be multiples of the cost of the stove and they don't want to frighten the business away.

Very few manufacturers will make a definite recommendation not to use a liner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Grovehse

Hi

Our house is about 5 years old and we are thinking of getting the TR4 inset stove and fitting it to the existing open fireplace. The mantel is solid pine is it ok to use the TR4 inset stove with this mantel. Also does anyone have this type of inset stove, if so how would you rate it?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 fatheadsgt

Hi,
    Forgive me if i'm in the wrong place here but i'm looking for a bit of advice. I've just had the Esse 301 installed & the shop where I bought the stove also had it installed. The problem is that originally they never put the rope behind the stove & only had the stove held in place with the chimney clamp (which was not great). When I complained they came back & fitted the rope and screwed the stove into the insert. The problem now is that you can see the rope at the top of the stove (1/4 inch approx) the chimney clamp is now missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :mad:

Advertisement