Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

horseracindadvisorireland.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭smartaform

Looks nice david...
    one downside is the pic's look a bit stretched.

One other thing i have found with this country (just an observation from an owners point of view) is that fixtures come out BUT you don't know what races are planned until 3 weeks away from the event... This is ludicrous!! Last horse i owned was in Australia and all fixtures had programmed races 3 months in advance, targeting races was much easier than the current 'wait and see' attitude which is found over here.

Even the Point to Point system is months in advance and they are an amatuer organization!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

It's like something you'd see online 10 years ago, it wasn't pretty then and it isn't pretty now.

If you want it to be successful redesign using the latest technologies.

Best of luck.

smartaform wrote: »
    One other thing i have found with this country (just an observation from an owners point of view) is that fixtures come out BUT you don't know what races are planned until 3 weeks away from the event... This is ludicrous!! Last horse i owned was in Australia and all fixtures had programmed races 3 months in advance, targeting races was much easier than the current 'wait and see' attitude which is found over here.
    Race meetings tend to have the same races year on year out, it's not that hard to find out what type of races are when.

If you want to target a 3m hurdle on an undulating track it's not exactly rocket science to work out when they will be for example.

Fixtures and races need to be flexible due to weather, and it's unpredictability.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Race meetings tend to have the same races year on year out, it's not that hard to find out what type of races are when.

If you want to target a 3m hurdle on an undulating track it's not exactly rocket science to work out when they will be for example.

Fixtures and races need to be flexible due to weather, and it's unpredictability.

Some can be found but it is only around 60% the same as the year before.
    So because of the weather it should be fine for the authorities not to plan fixtures??? That's rubbish.... We all know when the fixtures are on, why not give out a programme?? Somehow the Turf Club can give on out for the P2P scene !!..
    Why base a prep off a 60% probability of a race being there?
    Owners want to know more than 3 weeks in advance where future plans are aimed.

LOL as point to point races are all over fences with a minimum distance of 3 miles there is not much room for a variety of races in a meeting.

Have you seen how the weather affects racecourse in Ireland? Only this week in Bellewstown they had planned a mixed hurdle and flat card for Wednesday and Thursday, which they decided on a few weeks ago based on the condition of their course, subsequently they then decided to run all the flat on Wednesday and the hurdle on Thursday as otherwise only one day would have passed on the track. Unfortunately Irish racing is all about being adaptable to the weather conditions. It's a lot more foolish to have a rigid fixture list where you've no options to alter.

Maybe you should talk to your trainer, as I'm sure he'll be more knowledgeable and will let you know what races will be popping up which would be suitable.

• Advertisement

lol...
    we both know there is plenty of variety in the pointers.

We can also talk about how fixtures need to adapt to weather etc etc. But if they looked at a few points.

1. Tracks - Some look like donkey paddocks. If a track is to hold a mixed card or be known to cater for both types of racing it needs to be larger - obviously lol - but jumps to the outside, flat on the inner.

2. Fixture lists - all can be altered. all that has to be done is inform people that things are being altered for a certain course. BUT the key is make sure there are other options available around the same time at other venues.

3. Number of horses in training - Have you seen the noms lists? 100's of horses a week are denied a run! training fees are still charged, owners are becoming sick of paying for nothing and walking away from the industry!

I'm starting to stray off topic BUT i do think a firmer fixture/programme list would be of benefit to many. Sure abandonments and cancellations happen - they happen in every country, but just because it's 'The Irish Weather' and we have to be adaptable is no reason this shouldn't happen. In the age of information this should be accessable.

I guess we could jibber on all day but we won't change anything lol :p

Can't argue with any of your points at all, especially number three - you know yourself every Tom, Dick and Harry has a leg in a horse due to the economic climate in the last 15 years. There must be 100s of horse out there without even a handicap rating, nor much chance of running the necessary races to get one.

I was reading an article in the Irish Field around 6 weeks ago, one owner had written in and told of his struggle to get a race for his horse. It was a NH horse with some nice form behind it but they nominated for 4 weeks before they got a run, he finished 2nd but again it was nominating for another 3 weeks when they looked into going over to the UK.
    They nom'd for Carlisle i think, got in and walked in!

If there is any bother getting a run for my own horses this year i know exactly what i'll be doing...

One thought that i did have on this issue was why not have barrier trials - official trials and say each horse has to have one barrier trial before they can be entered? I know there will be lots of things to implicate that but some sort of system could be put in place..
    Dundalk could be used twice a week just for trials!
    The thing that always annoys me is the horses that are beaten more than 15lengths (in a flat race lol), they don't look fit before hand and they race accordingly. They have taken the place of something which was fit and ready to go.

Advertisement