Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Vs UPC

Options
  • 20-08-2009 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

Eircom and UPC are the two big providers in Ireland and I think a thread comparing them would be useful.

Most other ISPs are either Eircom resellers or they are available is very small areas.
    I know Smart and Magnet have their own network in limited areas and I hear good things about them but they are not on the scale of UPC or Eircom.

Eircom is rubbish in my area but I know UPC can be bad in other areas.

UPC is my provider and I am on the ten meg pack.

544449040.png

This is my result on Dublin my recommended server.

Last week my pings times where all over the place but problems like this seem to be rare.
    My location is South Dublin.
    I had Eircom in this location and it was not usable.

I here UPC can be bad in the city center.

I am asking the mods to make this thread a sticky so we can build up a picture of the two main ISPs in Ireland and the state of their networks from area to area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭thecornerboy

Do yourself a favour and stay away from Eircom. They are extremely, and I mean extremely, unreliable at the minute. Every day now I have issues (non-DNS, it's somewhere down the line, peering maybe).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Eircom is more widely available then UPC, UPC tends to only be available in urban areas.

On the other hand UPC is pretty much the only provider in Ireland actually investing in building a next generation network, which is why they can offer speeds up to 20mb/s at the moment and 120mb/s soon!!

So major respect for that.

Advertisement