Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etihad baggage allowance?

Options
  • 20-08-2009 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi
    We plan to travel to Oz with Etihad soon. Speaking to a travel agent we were told on a wink and a nod that their baggage allowance is 30kg although they tend not to publicise this.
    Does anyone have any experience of this? (Do you want to get sh"gged for extra baggage at Dublin airport ala Ryanair).
    Anyone any experience of Etihad to Oz from Dublin, good or bad?
    Anyone else notice if you search flights on their website when you return the next day prices for selected dates go up?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bubblicious

Hey,

Flying from London to Sydney with Etihad in a few weeks, according to their website carry on allowance is 10kg, check in is 20kg...I'll let you know how I get on with them if you're travelling after me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Just did Melbourne to Heathrow with them. Baggage is 20kg for checked, 10kg for cabin - and they WILL weigh and tag your cabin baggage.

Otherwise the trip was good, the Abu Dhabi to Heathrow leg is about 7 hours, but the Melbourne to Abu Dhabi haul was 13 hours, which stung a little...

Food was fine. Abu Dhabi airport is also fine, but with some pricey duty free - all the big brands and some random designers in there too. Cabin crew with Etihad were okay - not over friendly, but nobody was directly rude to me, which is always nice...

I wouldn't be trusting any travel agent that tells you your baggage allowance is nod nod wink wink - they're not the ones checking you in, and they won't be paying the excess fees!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

They are strict on the cabin baggage which is 7kg as far as I know

My checked in bag was 8kg over and I wasn't charged a penny, one reason why I'd use them again.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Interesting, very interesting. I'm flying home with Etihad next year and will have a lot of stuff! I was 24kg coming over with Qantas and nothing was said, I think it depends on who checks you in, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

I was told by Etihad themselves, over the phone, that they usually let the weight go to 30kg before they'll do anything. Yet....

We did get stopped for carry-on luggage because one bag was 12kg, and the other was about 6, so she made us reshuffle it around.

It totally depends on who you get. Our check-in girl was a bit older & experienced and after we made a half arsed effort to reshuffle the stuff around, she basically said 'yeah thats fine, don't stress too much'. The people next to us had a brand new young employee, who wasn't comfortable in bending the lines, so she made these poor people with twins, and a double buggy go to all lengths of effort, and charged excess them because the buggy was massive.

I've flown with them from Dublin to Brisbane twice. It wasn't the best of services and we had to make a complaint on one flight. However the price different at the time couldn't be argued with, considering I was paying for 4 tickets.

From my experience (of a whole 2 flights) the cabin crew will not go out of their way for you, and can be rude. But after a complain to the cabin manager, who was Irish, we were apologised to and were fine after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

From flying over and back a few times from Ireland to Melbourne now. I find that most airlines are flexible as long as you turn up at the check-in well in advance of the flight.

If you’re the first at the check in they'll usually do allot more thing for you than if you turn up 10 mins before they close.

As for getting charged for the baby buggy that check in person mustn’t know their job at all . Every parent is allowed to bring a buggy with them and it’s not counted towards your baggage allowance. You’re allowed to wheel it as far as the door of the airplane and It’s taken off you there and put in the hold and then given back to you again when leave the plane.

My advice on all things relating to flights is to be at the check-in desk as early as you can . Also be nice with the check-in people even if their being a bit testing as for that few mins they do have the power to either help you out or not .

Ozeire wrote: »
    If you’re the first at the check in they'll usually do allot more thing for you than if you turn up 10 mins before they close.

A Google.com search for Etihad Baggage brought this page up.

My experience with airlines is it can work either way. Best thing to do is just be nice, smile and ask them how they are doing ? If you appear over friendly, it's harder for them to tell you to cough up.

However, when checking in, I have found best thing to do when you're 10KG over the limit or more - is to check in later than normal and they usually rush you to get you on the plane. Works particularly well for airlines that pride themselves on time and airlines that don't get delayed.

Obviously, if the plan is delayed, it won't work. Just passing on my thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm flying with them soon enough. The flight confirmation says 20kg/7kg, I'm going with that.

Advertisement