Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

internal or external

Options
  • 20-08-2009 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am looking to store quite a lot of data on an externally (approx 3tb upwards). I was looking at an external hard drive as it will not always be near the pc, but they are quite expensive and the max tb's I can see is 2Tbs.
    A mate of mine suggested getting internal hard drives and putting/storing them into a caddie.
    I am not sure what a caddie is and can it work for me?
    Can you store more than one internal hard drive in a caddie?
    If so, is it bulky, can it be easily moved?
    Does it need its own power source?
    How does it connect to pc (usb)?
    Where can I get one and how much?

Thanks,

Tap

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

maybe he was talking about something like this?

http://www.cooldrives.com/twodrsaiirac.html

be wary though this will only support 2terrabytes of memory though... this is however cool with the e-sata adapter and cable coming with it!

I'd say they'll have others on their website though

wait i'm confused now... it says it supports 2terra's in raid but it can support more when not in a raid setup...?

Ok well i know nothing of raid and that so i'll leave you at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

You don't need to get 3TB all one external you know, just get 3x 1TB.. Or 1x 2TB and 1x 1TB..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

That's a pretty good point...
    Last time i checked you'll be paying a premium for any drive with more than 1tb capacity. Maybe 3 1 terrabyte externals would be the best option?

Why do you need so much space anyway? What are they being used for?

Advertisement