Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Teaching Council and online renewal

• 20-08-2009 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭

I graduated from the PGDE in 2008 and have been registered with the Teaching Council since 19th August 2008, having sent my application away in early summer of that year. I went online to renew my registration and was only given the option to renew using a debit/credit card. The deadline for having the money deducted from my salary has passed apparently. So I decided that I'd call them up to see what they could do for me. The man on the phone laughed when I said the deadline seems to be up. It's 'well and truly' up apparently, and there is no option for those of us registered in August 2008 to pay other than debit/credit card. I am not keen on passing my details onto to the body whose representative told us when I was in college that the files regarding getting degrees recognised were 'on the floor outside [my] office.' I'll have to do it anyway.

Now, I have been told that the DES only accepts one file of teachers who wish to have the money deducted from their salary per year, and that is in March. That's fine. When I told the TC that it is not my fault that they registered me in August I was told that it isn't their fault (:rolleyes:) that I can't have it deducted from my salary and that it was up to me to find a means to pay. Surely it is up to the TC to ensure that all teachers are renewing at the same time so that all teachers have both payment options.

Has anyone managed to get their fee deducted from their salary after the March deadline? I mean, if the DES can deduct my VHI from my salary in June (when they usually renew this in March) then why can't the TC sort this out?

Please try to keep things civil and stick to the facts. TC threads usually get a bit mad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

janeybabe wrote: »
    I graduated from the PGDE in 2008 and have been registered with the Teaching Council since 19th August 2008, having sent my application away in early summer of that year. I went online to renew my registration and was only given the option to renew using a debit/credit card. The deadline for having the money deducted from my salary has passed apparently. So I decided that I'd call them up to see what they could do for me. The man on the phone laughed when I said the deadline seems to be up. It's 'well and truly' up apparently, and there is no option for those of us registered in August 2008 to pay other than debit/credit card. I am not keen on passing my details onto to the body whose representative told us when I was in college that the files regarding getting degrees recognised were 'on the floor outside [my] office.' I'll have to do it anyway.

Now, I have been told that the DES only accepts one file of teachers who wish to have the money deducted from their salary per year, and that is in March. That's fine. When I told the TC that it is not my fault that they registered me in August I was told that it isn't their fault (:rolleyes:) that I can't have it deducted from my salary and that it was up to me to find a means to pay. Surely it is up to the TC to ensure that all teachers are renewing at the same time so that all teachers have both payment options.

Has anyone managed to get their fee deducted from their salary after the March deadline? I mean, if the DES can deduct my VHI from my salary in June (when they usually renew this in March) then why can't the TC sort this out?

Please try to keep things civil and stick to the facts. TC threads usually get a bit mad.

I had the same problem in May. Like banging your head off a brick wall trying to talk to the "professionals" in the TC. Dragged out for 3 weeks, ended up just paying the €90 upfront. I suggest you do the same to ensure continuation of your registration. Pain, I know!

Advertisement