Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door-to-door caller - Bogus Sponsorship?

• 20-08-2009 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Just had a lad call to my street in the Ardkeen Village / Grange area looking for sponsorship. He had an official-looking sponsorship card for the Run For Life and said that he's also going to box for Ireland over in England and that he was on the radio speaking about it.

There's nothing on WLR's website about cards being available, but to me that means nothing as their site is rubbish for info on things like that, so there could be some available.

From reading previous threads here, I thought it better to answer the door to him than not. I had seen him walk into the hallway of a house further down the street, so I barely opened the door to him.

I'd say he's about 16/17 years old and well-mannered. Think he introduced his name as he shook my hand. Not sure if I believe his story about the boxing as he had the handshake of a little girl. He had a normal Waterford accent.

From the look of his card, people were giving him €2 / €3 just to get rid of him, so I did the same and told him to put down whatever name he liked.

Just a word of warning to ye... Up to you if you answer or not, but as always, exercise caution and keep a foot against the inside of the door!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 nyquist

If you got a bad vibe of bogus from him it would do no harm ringing the garda station and letting them know., You dont have to leave you name or contact details. Helps them profile crime. If he is legit then no harm done. I had to ring them a few weeks back and they thanked me for the info as there had been breakins in my area in the last few months.

To be honest with ya, from what you wrote it doesn't sound suspicious or bogus to me especially if he had an official card. Sounds like he is just doing a good old fashioned door to door looking for sponsorhip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

http://wlrfm.com/RunforLifetips.aspx

Here is the link for the Run for Life on the WLR webpage - It says cards are available from the WLR Centre - Not sure if they are available yet though.

Sponsorship and registration:
    At Run for Life – A.I.B desk in WLRfm, The Broadcast Centre, Ardkeen from Monday October 12th to Saturday October 17th and at the A.I.B Branch in Dungarvan.

Hope it helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

It definitely looked like an official card, and as I've said, he was quite mannerly, so he may be legit.

Just urging folk to be aware, just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

http://wlrfm.com/RunforLifetips.aspx

Here is the link for the Run for Life on the WLR webpage - It says cards are available from the WLR Centre - Not sure if they are available yet though.

Sponsorship and registration:
    At Run for Life – A.I.B desk in WLRfm, The Broadcast Centre, Ardkeen from Monday October 12th to Saturday October 17th and at the A.I.B Branch in Dungarvan.

Hope it helps.

Thanks! I had looked at that page a couple of weeks ago, but it only contained the tips. Now there's actual details of the event.

Advertisement