Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost post on SD/MA

Options
  • 20-08-2009 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭

Hey one of my posts seems to have been deleted on the self defence/martial arts forum. It was actually a query on moderation etc. so maybe it's best answered here anyway.

There's been a few bannings for clubs advertising when the user only has one post, which I understand. Last week there was a banning for just that, then the moderator of the forum reposted the information unde his username, which obviously isn't a banning. I questioned that in the thread and the post has been removed.

Now I'm not trying to be a d1ck as I know advertising is bad mmmk. But I also want to publicise classes I run in my gym, but have not done so because I don't want a ban. But now it seems you can publicise as long as you know the mod well enough. I'm also posting this on behalf of someone else who got a ban for posting his club details on the board as he's curious why he can't but others can.

Anyone give me any feedback on what the actual rules are?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Roper wrote: »
    Hey one of my posts seems to have been deleted on the self defence/martial arts forum. It was actually a query on moderation etc. so maybe it's best answered here anyway.

There's been a few bannings for clubs advertising when the user only has one post, which I understand. Last week there was a banning for just that, then the moderator of the forum reposted the information unde his username, which obviously isn't a banning. I questioned that in the thread and the post has been removed.

Now I'm not trying to be a d1ck as I know advertising is bad mmmk. But I also want to publicise classes I run in my gym, but have not done so because I don't want a ban. But now it seems you can publicise as long as you know the mod well enough. I'm also posting this on behalf of someone else who got a ban for posting his club details on the board as he's curious why he can't but others can.

Anyone give me any feedback on what the actual rules are?

I don't think I removed you post - tbh I remember seeing it, I replied to you then deleted my own post as I wasn't going to get into a debate on the subject on the forum. If your post was deleted it was purely accidental and done while I was deleting my own (of course another Mod could have removed it also for their own reason, I really don't recall anything).

As regards Adverts, I feel the MA&SD forum is slightly different than alot of others on boards.ie.

As Martial Arts is such a small community in Ireland I'd like to see a more open policy on advertising clubs in it, as I feel it promotes M.A. in general. But if thats allowed happen how do we know the McDojo from the reputable coach such as yourself?.

I deleted and banned Darren Dowdall's post on DTB as I didn't take his post in its full context - he's offering M.T. classes out of Andy Ryans gym, that benefits everyone (I don't have to spell that out to you).

Saying that your want to advertise but don't want to risk a ban, come on now Roper your not selling that one on me, and I'm sure I speak for the other Mods on that also.

Your running a well established MMA club, your well known and liked on both the SD&MA and the MMA forums. Your reputation as a coach and person is totally unbleamished - advertise your classes or course's to your hearts content for all I care.

But when a totally anonymous new user comes on advertising its an entirely different story, and I'm confident most here will agree with that.

So, we've to strike a balance in deciding what benefits both the guy looking to training in a certain style and boards.ie - if there was a totally no advert (including classes, courses and events from you and the other lads) people would leave this board in their droves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I don't think I removed you post - tbh I remember seeing it, I replied to you then deleted my own post as I wasn't going to get into a debate on the subject on the forum. If your post was deleted it was purely accidental and done while I was deleting my own (of course another Mod could have removed it also for their own reason, I really don't recall anything).
    No bother, probably what happened.
    I deleted and banned Darren Dowdall's post on DTB as I didn't take his post in its full context - he's offering M.T. classes out of Andy Ryans gym, that benefits everyone (I don't have to spell that out to you).
    My pointo is that my mate is offerring a really good service from his club too. He is starting out and wants to publicise so he wants to use this forum. He can't, but because you know Andy etc., Darren can. I actually met Darren yesterday and he's a nice bloke and you know Andy is my mate so I really want that class to succeed. It just doesn't seem fair that Danny (my mate) can't post up about his club too.
    Saying that your want to advertise but don't want to risk a ban, come on now Roper your not selling that one on me, and I'm sure I speak for the other Mods on that also.
    I don't really know what you mean? A lot fo guys have posted and got banned. I actually half expected to get an infraction for the women's classes I posted up the other day but said I'd chance my arm.
    Your running a well established MMA club, your well known and liked on both the SD&MA and the MMA forums. Your reputation as a coach and person is totally unbleamished - advertise your classes or course's to your hearts content for all I care.
    Well that's nice to know, but would I be able to advertise my mates classes too even though he's not known on the board?
    But when a totally anonymous new user comes on advertising its an entirely different story, and I'm confident most here will agree with that.
    No I absolutely agree with you, I just think that sauce for the goose should be sauce for the gander as the saying goes.
    So, we've to strike a balance in deciding what benefits both the guy looking to training in a certain style and boards.ie - if there was a totally no advert (including classes, courses and events from you and the other lads) people would leave this board in their droves.
    Yeah look I'm not saying it's easy by any means, just that Danny was pissed off when he visited the board and saw that the other post had been reopened by you. I think we have to accept that there's more community than business on the board but most of the community on the board began there by posting up their club details. I think that's how I came in first too.

Advertisement