Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things to do in work when you're bored

• 20-08-2009 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Work has gotten kinda slow and I've done all the little bits and bobs that I've been putting off, even tidied my desk and I have run outta things to keep me entertained between the dribs and drabs of work coming my way.

I'm cut off from social networking sites and you tube.

I'M GOIN NUTS HERE!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

yeah i know, cheek of them coming over here and taking our jobs.

oh, hang on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

vtunnel.com wil get you on youtube and bebo/facebook/myspace whatever

As for entertaining yourself....ebay, bid on as many items with 1.00 bid, see how many you win :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Rubiks cube key chain. Works wonders.

Or a game of twister in the middle of the floor.

Whatever's easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

play flash games on the web.... go to fail blog and others.....
    play a proper game if you can...

what do you do??? office work or a security guard on a site ... etc.. etc...???
    basically why do you have so much free time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'm sick and am missing out on what was gonna be a great week. So I'm on boards and trying to leave out my anger. That's what I do when I'm bored.

EDIT: And for extra sympathy it's the second last week of the holidays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

cyanide and happiness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Book out a meeting room for the rest of the day...then coke and hookers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Do your job better and you'll never be bored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Start off on a topic of interest on Wikipedia and go deep down the rabbit hole.

Or just have a **** in the jacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Thanks Midnight_EG,

Just added this to the banned list on the Proxy Server in work.....
    vtunnel.com wil get you on youtube and bebo/facebook/myspace whatever

As for entertaining yourself....ebay, bid on as many items with 1.00 bid, see how many you win :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You're mean BOFH.

If I wasn't, then what kind of "Bastard Operator from Hell" would I be.....,?
    Overheal wrote: »
    You're mean BOFH.

Seeing as this is actually helping you in your job BOFH, I might aswell mention that any variant of 'tunnel' will work, letters a-z of the alphabet in front and you're ready to go :L

Although I wont tell you the rest ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    If I wasn't, then what kind of "Bastard Operator from Hell" would I be.....,?

A very very nice one? :)

That gives people cookies when they access banned websites!

Seeing as this is actually helping you in your job BOFH, I might aswell mention that any variant of 'tunnel' will work, letters a-z of the alphabet in front and you're ready to go :L

Dude! Top-Say elling-tay our ecrets-say! ;);)

Any good nerd has a lot more than 26 proxies :L

And btw, bavagack slavagang ivigis beveget teveger :L

I just block their entire IP range so it does not matter what they call the site it will be blocked.

If I'm hungover tomorrow I may charge a setting that makes all the pages look fuzzy and/or upside-down at random.

Dude! Top-Say elling-tay our ecrets-say! ;);)
    Any good nerd has a lot more than 26 proxies :L

And btw, bavagack slavagang ivigis beveget teveger :L

Might get a pleasent surprise then :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A very very nice one? :)

That gives people cookies when they access banned websites!
    He never said he wouldn't accept cookies as a bribe from the employees/students/oppressed masses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Just for fun I'd sit down, take out a piece of paper and work out the following 2 things to start with (there is others but these are just a little start):

1. If I was to try and take out my work place building with plastic explosive, where would I strategically place the devices, how much would I use in each case, how would I hide them, what timing (and timing mechanism) would I use and how many maximum would I kill according to the time of the day/night I let them off. Should I use a running explosive, you know let one off at one point ten ("ten" for example of course) seconds later let another off further away at an appropriate point to catch the survivors as they run further away from the initial device and/or should I plant more in the direction (with the appropriate timing of course allowing for the speed of panic running) that they are heading to catch the rest... How would I plan my get away and do I still have a valid passport, I'd better check! :D

2. When I would get bored with that I'd then move onto the people in my work area. LOL. I'd access each one according to their strengths and weaknesses. Decide upon the accessment criteria and ascertain that if I was to start killing them all off one by one, who would be the best to start off with.
    (Note on this: its always good to start with the hardest to bump off. This is due to eventual growing tiredness and over time related senses weakening and the hours go by too!). Draw up a good long list, memorise it and when you have done so. burn the paper list. That way when you eventually snap in the office you will at least know where to start the killing spree, save time and be home in time for Eastenders.

By the way if you do the above two, its never a good idea to leave your thoughts on paper after you leave the office anyway.
    The cleaner that night might be the reason (30 minutes later after she enters your section) why there is enough armed heavily protected personnel outside your front door at home readying themselves to break in and question you O' so very lightly!

Have fun with those two mild suggestions. :D

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    Just for fun I'd sit down, take out a piece of paper and work out the following 2 things to start with (there is others but these are just a little start):

1. If I was to try and take out my work place building with plastic explosive, where would I strategically place the devices, how much would I use in each case, how would I hide them, what timing (and timing mechanism) would I use and how many maximum would I kill according to the time of the day/night I let them off. Should I use a running explosive, you know let one off at one point ten ("ten" for example of course) seconds later let another off further away at an appropriate point to catch the survivors as they run further away from the initial device and/or should I plant more in the direction (with the appropriate timing of course allowing for the speed of panic running) that they are heading to catch the rest... Would would I plan my get away and do I still have a valid passport, I'd better check! :D

2. When I would get bored with that I'd then move onto the people in my work area. LOL. I'd access each one according to their strengths and weaknesses. Decide upon the accessment criteria and ascertain that if I was to start killing them all off one by one, who would be the best to start off with.
    (Note on this: its always good to start with the hardest to bump off. This is due to eventual growing tiredness and over time related senses weakening and the hours go by too!). Draw up a good long list, memorise it and when you have done so. burn the paper list. That way when you eventually snap in the office you will at least know where to start the killing spree, save time and be home in time for Eastenders.

By the way if you do the above two, its never a good idea to leave your thoughts on paper after you leave the office anyway.
    The cleaner that night might be the reason (30 minutes later after she enters your section) why there is enough armed heavily protected personnel outside your front door at home readying themselves to break in and question you O' so very lightly!

Remind me to never ever piss you off.

Biggins wrote: »

1. If I was to try and take out my work place building with plastic explosive, where would I strategically place the devices, how much would I use in each case, how would I hide them, what timing (and timing mechanism) would I use and how many maximum would I kill according to the time of the day/night I let them off. Should I use a running explosive, you know let one off at one point ten ("ten" for example of course) seconds later let another off further away at an appropriate point to catch the survivors as they run further away from the initial device and/or should I plant more in the direction (with the appropriate timing of course allowing for the speed of panic running) that they are heading to catch the rest... Would would I plan my get away and do I still have a valid passport, I'd better check! :D

I do this in school, both with teachers and students :P

Then I take a different approach, and wonder what would happen if a sniper happened to shoot upon me or someone else :L

Bored young individual right here :L

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...Then I take a different approach, and wonder what would happen if a sniper happened to shoot upon me or someone else...

O' aye. Its always a good idea to reverse the role and put yourself in the place of a possible victim. How would you plan your escape depending on the form of initial attack and how would you allow for variation of it should that attack take a different course. How would you diversify!
    Look around your office - madman on the loose - what could you use to defend yourself, where could you run, where could you hide, what could you use to shield yourself from the blasts, etc?

The fun thinking possibilities are endless. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

Clean!
    It's like a workout at work plus you get lots and lots of brownie points from everyone else and you get a nice clean office / cubbie hole / portaloo to work in!

Go arm yourself with a spray, cloth, mop, bucket and brush- and possibly a shredder and do a good clean out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭tara666

when im bored in work,i will think of ways to get back at my boss for p*ssing me off ,the last time i had some time on my hands i cut my toe nails and put it in his coffee filter...waiting for him to ask me to get him one.....:D

Cling film over toilet, directly under the seat though, that'll get your boss back (Y)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

1 Get a white stick and pretend you're blind for the afternoon. Find out who your friends are by walking towards an open window and seeing who tries to stop you falling to your death.

2 Make bracelets and necklesses out of paper-clips, and take them home to impress your loved ones.

3 Ask for a P45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

If I want a little bit of creative downtime I work on my invention of smacking people in the face through the internet. I'm having difficulties deciding on a hotkey though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Sexual harassment keeps me busy.

• Advertisement

Proxy wrote: »
    Sexual harassment keeps me busy.
    And bent over :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ever heard of boards?

Avoid at all costs! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

This should amuse you...

25 things to do on an elevator!!!

1) When there's only one other person in the elevator, tap them on the shoulder and then pretend it wasn't you.
    2) Push the buttons and pretend they give you a shock. Smile,and go back for more.
    3) Ask if you can push the button for other people,but push the wrong ones.
    4) Call the Psychic Hotline from your cell phone and ask if they know what floor your on.
    5) Hold the doors open and say your waiting for a friend. After a while, let the doors close,and say, "Hi Greg. How's your day been?"
    6) Drop a pen and wait until someone goes to pick it up, then scream,"That's mine!"
    7)Bring a camera and take pictures of everyone in the elevator.
    8)Move your desk into the elevator and whenever anyone gets on, ask if they have an appointment.
    9) Lay down the twister mat and ask people if they would like to play.
    10) Leave a box in the corner, and when someone gets on,ask them if they can hear ticking.
    11) Pretend you are a flight attendant and review emergency procedures and exits with the passengers.
    12) Ask, "Did you feel that?"
    13)Stand really close to someone, sniffing them occasionally.
    14) When the doors close, announce to the others, "It's okay, don't panic, they open again!"
    15) Swat at flies that don't exist.
    16) Call out, "Group Hug!" and then enforce it.
    17) Grimace painfully while smacking your forehead and muttering,
    18) Crack open your briefcase or purse, and while peering
    inside, ask, "Got enough air in there?"
    19) Stand silently and motionless in the corner, facing the wall, without getting off.
    20) Stare at another passenger for a while, then announce in horror, "Your
    one of THEM!" and back away slowly.
    21) Wear a puppet on your hand and use it to talk to the other passengers
    22) Listen to the elevator walls with your stethoscope.(because u always have urs with u?!!)
    23) Make explosion noises when anyone presses a button.
    24) Stare, grinning at another passenger for a while, then
    announce, "I have new socks on".
    25) Draw a little square on the floor with chalk and announce to
    the other passnegers, "This is MY personal space!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Cheers for that Jackobyte. :D:D:D

Priceless stuff. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Twitter/Facebook wastes a way a mile. Stick yourself on MSN and have a natter or check out free games :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 beni

Nice One JACOBYTE.
    That is Classic :D:D:D
    Will try some.

• Advertisement
Advertisement