Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extend Small Bedroom - Do I need planning permssion

• 20-08-2009 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi

I'm looking to extend a small bedroom to the rear of my house. Essentially, the kitchen extends behind the house on the ground floor. I want to extend the small bedroom upstairs over this space....possibly adding 3/4 feet in length to the room.

I have already converted the garage to a family room.

Do I need planning permission to do this. Other houses have but I don't know if they got planning.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Look for the planning leaflet about exempted developments. It will give you the criteria you have to meet to be an exempted development. Since its a second storey extension, your main issues will be the height of the development and distance between your window and the boundaries.

EDIT: Here's the link to the leaflet:
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad,1586,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

Thanks paddyirishman

I had seen that document already, and it's slightly confusing depending on interpretation.

The height will be the same as the existing room, and the replacement window will be no closer to the back wall than the existing kitchen window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks paddyirishman

I had seen that document already, and it's slightly confusing depending on interpretation.

The height will be the same as the existing room, and the replacement window will be no closer to the back wall than the existing kitchen window.
    Not in the least. Its very specific as to what exempted size you can build on the first floor together with where windows may be placed in relation to boundaries. It clearly states the difference between extending to the rear of a detached and semi detached/terraced house.

From the link - "for terraced or semi-detached houses, the floor area of
    any extension above ground level does not exceed 12
    square metres, this includes any previous extensions
    carried out"

So can I assume that if the upstairs part will be less than 12sq m, and the total of this and the garage conversion is less than 40 sq m, and the height is no higher than the existing height, and the replacement window is no closer than the existing kitchen window - then I don't need planning permission..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

From the link - "for terraced or semi-detached houses, the floor area of
    any extension above ground level does not exceed 12
    square metres, this includes any previous extensions
    carried out"

So can I assume that if the upstairs part will be less than 12sq m, and the total of this and the garage conversion is less than 40 sq m, and the height is no higher than the existing height, and the replacement window is no closer than the existing kitchen window - then I don't need planning permission..?

The distances to the boundaries for ground floor and first floor+ extensions are different. Your ground floor window can be no less than 1m from a boundary, but for a first floor extension, the distance increases to 11m, as you can see further from a first floor window.

If you are more than 11m and you stick to the other rules you mentioned (floor area, height of ridge/eaves), you're good to go

• Advertisement

We'd meet all those criteria, so we should be good to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Get somebody to double check it,

I'm not being rude, you you had problems understand a fairly standard (for people familar) document. therefore its safe to assume you have no extensive planning/construction expierence and you may have made a slight miscalculation when checking the work.

An hour here will save potential weeks of heartache later

Mellor wrote: »
    Get somebody to double check it,

I'm not being rude, you you had problems understand a fairly standard (for people familar) document. therefore its safe to assume you have no extensive planning/construction expierence and you may have made a slight miscalculation when checking the work.

An hour here will save potential weeks of heartache later

I didn't have problems understanding a "fairly standard (for people familar) document." I said it was slightly confusing depending on interpretation.

It's not safe to assume anything - I find summaries of laws are exactly that and no substitute for reading the exact law - I felt it was ambiguous in it's wording and questioned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I didn't have problems understanding a "fairly standard (for people familar) document." I said it was slightly confusing depending on interpretation.

It's not safe to assume anything - I find summaries of laws are exactly that and no substitute for reading the exact law - I felt it was ambiguous in it's wording and questioned it.
    OK then. Read pages 154 and 155 of the 2001 Planning & Development Regs which is the bible in planning circles and will give you the exact legal wording.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

OP - one day you will need an architects opinion of exemption from planning permission . When you sell or refinance .

So get one now . Let a professional advise and certify .

• Advertisement
Advertisement